Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to do a clean install, and restore a backup
I guess i'm missing something, but i want to do a clean install, have some wierd issues, so lets assume i have a backup (as created from an upgrade) and i uninstall, how to i restore the backup ?

Will
First, you don't need to uninstall the unwanted version. You simply need to copy the backup that you want to restore to c:/program files/CQC (you might want to rename the old CQC folder to something like CQC_old to keep it as a safety net until the restored system is up and running).

Then you need to run the installer for the version of the backup CQC that you want to restore. If you don't have it downloaded on the computer already, you can generally download it from CQC by copying the current version download link and substituting the version number for the version you need.

For example, if the current download link is something like this: http://www.blahblahblah.beta.CQC_4_2_902 and you need version 4_1_901, then substitute the 4_1_901 in the link. If that doesn't work, it is usually because you have a release version instead of a beta version. To get that link, go to the main CQC site and get the download link for the current release version and substitute the version that you need. Between the beta link and the release link, one of them should work and download the installer that you need.

Once you have the installer you need, just run it like normal. If it doesn't automatically find the old installation, just direct the pop up box to your c:/program files/CQC folder and it should find the installation and continue running.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
ok i was hoping for something cleaner than that, current issue is that i have a master server that won't restart the main cqc service after a reboot, a re install works, but only until the next boot, think this is somehow due to the old install that i keep updating from ?

Dean ?
What is the service startup mode? Is it set up to start automatically? You set that during the install. The installer starts it up after an upgrade, but if it's not set to auto-start it won't come up next time unless you start it manually.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
it's set to auto but doesn't... i'll do a clean install one day soon....

have seen this before with installing over a previous version. Dean, how do i restore a backup, let's assume i have the backup on a usb, and i loose the server, and rebuild from scratch ?

Will
Dean Roddey Wrote:What is the service startup mode? Is it set up to start automatically? You set that during the install. The installer starts it up after an upgrade, but if it's not set to auto-start it won't come up next time unless you start it manually.
Dean,

This sounds like the issue that I have now on 4.2.6; When my server restarts (say after a power failure) the autostart doesn't work. I have to manually start CQC (and remember that there is no delayed start on XP for services).
Mark Stega
Do you guys see anything in the Windows logs about the service?

The last time I had this was with the Windows Live issue, but all the client apps took a long time to startup too, the service was timing out on startup and there was a log message to that effect. I run on an XPSP2 VM right now.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC 5_2_10 Fails to install pjgregory 2 230 02-19-2018, 03:00 AM
Last Post: pjgregory
  install component for Repository Manager rbroders 1 241 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Backup without Stopping Service RichardU 5 356 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM
Last Post: znelbok