Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roku
Yet another question on driver building. The Roku boxes are controllable through using their ECP protocol which is outlined here: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDKv...trol+Guide.

From my cursory glances at that page, it looks as though you can autoload different Roku 'apps' with key presses from CQC. This would be awesome as you would be able to select a source like 'Netflix' and have the system enable everything for you, including getting Roku to the Netflix channel. I think this would be an amazing boost, and while i dont quite understand what I am reading, perhaps something like this will not require a 'driver', per se, but simply properly formatted commands on a command box.

Thoughts; ideas?
No ideas but my thoughts are this would be very, very nice to have! It looks pretty straight forward from the docs but I don't know much, I've only ever done part of a PDL driver.

This would simplify my system quite a bit!
It looks like the control protocol actually takes to some user provided script running on the Roku, not a pre-existing control application that's running there. The above link BTW, indicates at the top that it's an old version and provides a link to the newer one here:

http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/RokuSDKv...trol+Guide

That page seems to me to indicate that they are providing a 'command funnel' type of feature that handles receiving the commands and passing them on to some Java app you write which does the actual commands, right?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean, I played around with what I could, but I have done nothing to my Roku in terms of adding the 'Dev' channel or downloading the SDK. Commands from that site that are passed via HTTP all work out of the box, so it would seem to me as though the ECP is built into the firmware.

From what I read, it looks like you can open channels and pass arguments all through HTTP and POST. It may end up being a one way driver as I havent been able to see a way to poll for the currently used 'channel', but it would still be better than nothing. I guess CQC could always remember state.

I am just visioning this as an icon in CQC under video, so I just hit the Netflix icon and the Roku will launch the Netflix channel. Then CQC sets the variable in the driver to remember.

Perhaps a driver would not be necessary if we could configure a command button to pass POST arguments?
If someone wants to send me one to keep around for testing, I'll see if I can't whip up a driver for it.
Dean Roddey
PM me your address and I will have Amazon ship it to you direct. I use the Roku 2 XD model. If anyone else uses different models, I don't know about compatibility, but I assume the firmware is the same across their models. I have the following channels installed: Netflix, Plex, TED, NBC News, NHL, and Amazon Instant Video.
Do you have to pay to get any of these channels? I don't want to have to sign up for any of that stuff in order to test the driver.
Dean Roddey
Well, Netflix of course, and Amazon Instant Video requires a Prime subscription, and NHL requires the NHL.net game package. Plex, Ted, and NBC News are all free; as are thousands of other channels accessible in the 'Channel Store'.

However, I believe the channels will still load, you just won't be able to access the content, which perhaps is outside of the realm of this driver. What I am looking for as far as the Roku driver goes, is a way to 1) directly load a channel based on the channel ID; 2) poll the Roku for the currently loaded channel; 3) (if possible) pass an argument to the Plex Channel that will load and automatically play the selected media.

I think #3 is going to require a Plex Media Server driver, which I already put up in the Beta Driver Devel forum.
jkmonroe Wrote:PM me your address and I will have Amazon ship it to you direct. I use the Roku 2 XD model. If anyone else uses different models, I don't know about compatibility, but I assume the firmware is the same across their models. I have the following channels installed: Netflix, Plex, TED, NBC News, NHL, and Amazon Instant Video.

Pandora and Hulu...
Dean, it is en route to you. Figured I throw this out there: Amazon is now collecting CA sales tax for CA shoppers. The free ride is over!