Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version 2.11 Released
Sort of. It's not Safari itself, but they provide a Web View class which behaves more or less like an embedded browser window. From what I have read, the performance is not that great. I encountered many posts on the Web from people trying to avoid using it or improve its performance. I am in fact using an offscreen instance of the class to render the snapshot that I then display in my app. But between the performance concerns and the fact that, as I have said, media playback is usually handed off to a dedicated app in iOS, I wasn't sure that a full-on embedded browser window was a good idea.

And again, if I can get some more information about the nature of the video format that people are streaming in Safari, I can do some additional research.
Hey Brian. the axis products (cameras and video servers) can do MJPEG or MPEG4. i am using MJPEG. here is a page from the manual.

greg

Video stream types
Motion JPEG
This format uses standard JPEG still images in the video stream. These images are then displayed and updated at a rate sufficient to create a stream that shows constantly updated motion.
The Motion JPEG stream provides excellent image quality and access to every individual image contained in the stream.
Note that multiple clients accessing Motion JPEG streams can use different image settings.
MPEG-4
This is a video compression standard that makes good use of bandwidth, and which can provide high-quality video streams at less than 1 Mbit/s.
The MPEG-4 standard provides scope for a large range of different coding tools for use by various applications in different situations, and AXIS 241Q/241S provides certain subsets of these tools. These are represented as Video object types, which are selected for use with different viewing clients. The supported video object types are:
•Simple - sets the coding type to H.263
•Advanced Simple - in Axis products, this sets the coding type to MPEG-4 Part 2
AMC (AXIS Media Control) supports both object types, while QuickTime™, for example, requires the Simple object type.
When using MPEG-4 it is also possible to control the bit rate, which in turn allows control of bandwidth usage. CBR (constant bit rate) is used to achieve a specific bit rate by varying the quality of the MPEG-4 stream. When using VBR (variable bit rate), the quality of the video stream is kept as constant as possible, at the cost of a varying bit rate.
Notes: • MPEG-4 is licensed technology. AXIS 241Q/241S includes one license for the decoder
required for viewing in AMC. Installing additional unlicensed copies of this decoder is
prohibited. To purchase more decoder licenses, contact your Axis reseller.
• All clients viewing the MPEG-4 stream must use the same image settings.
MPEG-4 protocols and communication methods
To deliver live streaming video over IP networks, various combinations of transport protocols and broadcast methods are employed.
•RTP (Real-Time Transport Protocol) is a protocol that allows programs to manage the real-time transmission of multimedia data, via unicast or multicast.
•RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) serves as a control protocol, to negotiate which transport protocol to use for the stream. RTSP is thus used by a viewing client to start a unicast session, see below.
•UDP (User Datagram Protocol) is a communications protocol that offers limited service for exchanging data in a network that uses the Internet Protocol (IP). UDP is an alternative to the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP). The advantage of UDP is that it is not required to deliver all data and may drop network packets when there is network congestion, for example. This is suitable for live video, as there is no point in re-transmitting old information that will not be displayed anyway.
•Unicasting is communication between a single sender and a single receiver over a network. This means that the video stream goes independently to each user, and each user gets their own stream. A benefit of unicasting is that if one stream fails, it only affects one user.
•Multicast is bandwidth-conserving technology that reduces bandwidth usage by simultaneously delivering a single stream of information to multiple network recipients. This technology is used primarily on delimited networks (intranets), as each user needs an uninterrupted data flow and should not rely on network
routers.
just read your last post. if there is a web view class it seems to make sense to support it. i would think it would be faster and lighter weight than running that class off screen, grabbing the bits from it and sending them to a different object on screen? What Dean said makes sense - let us deal with whether or not the ios device can see the stream over the network, etc.

i would be happy to test it.

greg
On a related note, could you explain how the Web Image is refreshed on the iPad. In my system, my security cameras upload a new image to my web site every 1 minute. One of my templates has two Web Image Widgets, which point to the the URL's of the two camera images. However, I cannot make these refresh automatically.

The best I can do so far is whenever I load the security template, I use a Template Pre-Load Action to do a

Camera::SetImage( URL )

command for each camera, which seems to refresh the images. Is the way I am surposed to do it, or can I get the Web Image widget to refresh automatically on a timed basis? Will your new support for security cameras (not yet documented) offer an alternative? I seem to remember reading a recent post that says that Template Events are not supported in the iPad client. Otherwise I suppose I could add a recurring 1 minute timer and use that to issue the Camera:SetImage(URL) commands.
PJG
Am I the only one getting the following:

READ ERROR
The operation couldn't be completed.
Connection refused.

This is after a successful update and multiple uses. I get this across 3 different IPads (gen 1, 2, and 3).
I waited awhile before updating, it didn't look like anyone complained of problems that would effect me. But. . .

On my iPhone 4S, the interface is displayed, but certain areas of the template do not respond to button presses. I have tried every permutation of the Optimization and Protocol settings.

More specifically, in low-resolution mode (which I use most often, scrolling the interface around on the screen) the buttons on the left-most portion of the template respond normally, prob about a third of the template. Anything to the right of that is displayed but does not respond to touches.

In high-resolution mode, things respond farther to the right. Only the far-right 1/4 of the template does not respond.

So for now, I will not upgrade my other iOS devices.
daddyd,

What version of CQC server are you using? My guess is that it's not the latest. That's OK -- the app should work with older versions. You just have to set the protocol version to a lower number. In the settings for the connection, you can select version 1, 2 or 4. I think 4 is the default. Try setting it to 2 or, if that doesn't work, 1. Now in theory the app is supposed to show a more helpful error message. I thought I had fixed that -- I'll revisit the issue. But I'm hopeful that downgrading the protocol verison will fix your problem. If it persists, definitely let me know.

AceCannon,

Someone else had a similar problem. I haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but I'll keep looking into it. Sorry for the trouble.
I am having same issue.
Im running 4.1.906 and selecting version v1 v2 or v4 doesnt do a thing.
Paul,

Are you having the Read Error issue or the button press issue? I wasn't sure.
Button press issue.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Version 2.20 Released brianmount 18 9,854 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client v1.2 Released! SamVimes2 432 118,793 01-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Fonceur