Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS data
I was thinking would it be possible to extract the gps data from the iphone and use it?

my idea was that if i could compare the gps data on the phone to the gps location of my house i could do alot of cool stuff.
It is going to be complicated, considering all the roadblocks put in place by Apple.

1.) You might be able to do it by first jailbreaking. Then loading an automation app that can run commands based on events like your GPS location, then have it get info into CQC somehow, like through email, etc. I have an app called tasker on my Android tablet that does that, I think there is something equivalent for the IPhone.

2.) Potentially the RIVA developers could write something into their app but it would need to be running at the time, Apple does not allow apps to run in the background without jailbreaking.

3.) Something might be possible via bluetooth. You could get a bluetooth dongle that supports the bluetooth serial protocol then have CQC detect the presence of the RS232 connection when in range.

4.) What I do is use a combination of EventGhost and the EventGhost driver I wrote to ping a static IP (the IP on my Iphone on my Wifi network). If it appears, it sends a triggered even. This works, but there is a delay, it takes my phone approximately 1 minute to join the network once in range, then I have EventGhost set to require 6 10 second pings before triggering the event. So around 2 min delay that could possibly be brought down to 1 min. I put instructions on how to do this in the EventGhost driver thread. I also created an event when I leave my network to email me, but it constantly spams my account at random times. I guess the Iphone stops answering pings for minutes at a time at random, so I wouldn't rely on events to detect when the phone leaves the network.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
thx wuench,

i tried your eventghost solution but i found that it was alittle unreliable. perhaps my not setting it up correctly.

i just tried the bluetooth dongle solution but there is a driver issue with my iphone. ill have to research that more.

good ideas though.
what driver would i be looking for inorder to get the bluetooth solution to work?
I was thinking something like the generic serial driver that would detect the presence of a COM port when the phone is in range. The phone does support the serial port bluetooth profile, but I don't know if the driver will work or if it needs to actually send an RS232 command and get a response to show connected.
Wuench

What happens when the driver has gotten the port open then the phone goes out of range? Does the com port 'go away' and the driver gets an error and goes back offline, or does the driver having the port open keep it open and it never knows anything happened?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I am not sure, it's been several years since I was playing with blutooth and com ports for a prospective Roomba driver. It would have to be tested. It is admittedly a hack.
Wuench

Would my getting ping support exposed via the action system provide the required means to deal with this purely within CQC?
Dean Roddey
The location data is available to any program. Couldn't this all be implemented in the RIVA client? Just have it send a triggered event when the phone is within a give range of a location?

I believe that haiku helper has implemented this. At least I saw a thread at cocoon tech that looked like it but since I don't have a hai panel I didn't pay much attention.

Edit; here is the thread http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/20893...detection/
The RIVA client has no way to directly trigger an event. It's a passive display client that doesn't understand anything about CQC directly. They are working on a native one that could do this.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Room configuration data Dean Roddey 14 8,845 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey