Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4.1 Beta Discussions Thread
This thread is now closed, and is just for archival reference. 4.1 is out and a new discussion thread will be opened for 4.2 beta development discussion.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
OK, so, in terms of what we want to accomplish for 4.1, there's really only one primary thing, and everything else will be as time allows, and nothing else big.

Our one big goal for 4.1 is to create a new system configuration utility where you can define floors and rooms and indicate what lights, motion sensors, audio players, multi-zone audio outputs, etc... are in each room, and it will generate a modest but completely useable system for you as long as you have a reasonably representative type of setup, from triggered/scheduled events to user interfaces, probably some basic web based interface, maybe some auto-device discovery, interfaces for each room that target just the stuff in that room, or the ability to change rooms, etc...

This is our only real goal. We don't want to put anything else into the schedule because we want this to be a short release cycle to get this new capability out there as quickly as we can. Obviously we can do smaller things here and there, but nothing else significant. This is a key thing for us, so that the product is far easier to use closer to out of the box. You can then learn more about the product as you need to modify it to more closely match your desired solution. Both DIYers and Pros need this type of functionality, else the product remains too technical for most people. But of course all of that heavy technical capability will still be there under the hood, so hopefully we'll have a bit of best of both worlds.

The template generation part of the new theme system will be moved to this new utility so that it'll have access to this information and can therefore generate a lot more template content than the current one does. The other part of the template system will remain the interface designer for obvious reasons.

Once we get this out then we can turn to some other things, some of which were hopefuls for 4.0 but didn't make it or completely make it.
Dean Roddey
Another updated video... I'll update the web site to reference them once I have a few ready. This is one of the longer ones and pretty brutal to get right.

CML Introduction
Dean Roddey
I realized I'd failed to update the old HTML web site to reference the new 4.0 videos and technical docs, so I just uploaded those fixes.
Dean Roddey
Dean - Good job on the Blanker revision for photos. Works great.

The obvious next iteration will be to modify the repository driver to handle photos along with music and videos.

For now, this works great.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Dean - Is there any chance that the Slide Blanker could slow down My SqueezeServer response to the IV's? Still works, but all calls to the SqueezeServer are taking for every after the slide blanker was running on the same screen. Everything other than that on my interface is fine.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
There's no reason that I know of. Check the task manager and see if you are getting undue CPU usage when the blanker is up. There's always a chance I got something wrong. I didn't see any crazy usage friday when I was writing it but never say never. If there's not any excessive CPU usage, then I don't see how the blanker could interfere with anything else.
Dean Roddey
I will watch it. I am not seeing anything unusual in Network traffic of Memory per workstation. I rebooted both workstations that have screens attached and will keep an eye on it. Each workstation has two screens. After the reboot, all is back to normal.

Already the family is pressing me to install more photos.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Dean, A while back I said I would post some issues/inconsistencies that I found while developing. Well I finally found the time to go through my notes and post them for you.

Interface Editor[INDENT]Check Box Widget
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Field Tab
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Driver fields are not listed in alphabetical order.
Pressing a letter on the keyboard takes you to the first instance of a field name with that letter, but subsequent presses are not possible unless you click on the field list again. This is inconsistent with other areas in CQC where you can press the letter repeatedly to "scroll" through all instance of the field that start with that letter (E.g. Edit action > Device write)
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Field Slider Widget
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Field Tab - As Above
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Command Button Widget[INDENT]Edit Action[INDENT]This assumes you have a field write defined already in the action. To edit the field you press the notepad icon to open the select a field dialog box. THe field that is currently defined in the action is not the selected field in the newly opened dialog box. It appears to be a random selection from the list. Very annoying and should have the field configured as the highlighted field.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Cover Art Browser
[INDENT]Repository drop down allows for selection of configured repositories, but the selection never sticks. It will always stay n the first selected repository. If you are re-using the template for a different repository you currently have to delete the widget and re-add it. Opening the template in the interface view produces an error indicating that the original repository is not available.
[/INDENT]Find and Replace
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT] Ability to change a drivers moniker across the whole template and not have to manually find and replace all instances
Allow to open an interface in a text editor to allow a find and replace on text (driver fields, values etc). I have used this feature in other packages and it is very handy and saves a lot of time when making sweeping changes across the graphical interface.
Offer a recover option for checksum errors - at least get some of the file back.
[/INDENT]Keyboard Control shortcuts[INDENT]Edit Action
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Alt+P doubles up on both Copy and Paste. Make them unique.
[/INDENT]Replace Dialogue Box
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Replace Where - "This Event" or "All Events" needs a keyboard shortcut.
[/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT]Window for Widget Configuration
[/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Done, Cancel and Revert need keyboard commands (for all widgets).
[/INDENT]States Tab[INDENT]Add and Remove need keyboard shortcut (Alt+A and Alt+R)
[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]Log Server Monitor[INDENT]Filtering[INDENT]Add the ability to filter based on a driver.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]File Open dialogue box
[INDENT]Use the standard windows format box instead of re-inventing the wheel. Allows for faster navigation around the PC by having My Documents or My Computer available
[/INDENT][INDENT][/INDENT]That's about it for now. The IV Editor stuff probably affects more elements than what I have mentioned, but I did not use them when I was recording issues so they may have been missed.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
OK, I'll bang on these as I get the time. These are all small bits that I can hopefully slip in between other things.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 41,756 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,326 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 151,300 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 7,910 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 87,644 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 8,804 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 197,136 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,502 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 489,144 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 13,314 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM