Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendation for Z-Wave motion detector/lighting/security locks
Trying to get an idea of how to do a z-wave based home security(motion detector) solution.

Interested in pros/cons of such a system vs some of the alternatives

I have some strategic locations where i have a Cat6 runs to my HR, but i also will probably need to go wireless - which i why i was thinking Z-Wave.

Ultimately I need to do lighting and door locks.

Right now Im looking for motion detectors.

My house isnt too big. Its a two story 1900 sq/ft built on a squarish footprint.
Our driver doesn't support any door locks currently. At least not any that use the encryption type features of Z-Wave, which might be all of them I dunno. It does support motion detectors and lights.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
thx dean,

any suggestions on specfic products?
Sure would be nice if the driver did support the Z-Wave locks. I've just installed one of the Kwikset entry locks and I'm pleased enough to want more.
I posted this in another thread, but the same information applies here....

drvnbysound Wrote:While I am pretty certain Dean has not yet been able to complete this directly via CQC+Zwave controller, there is another solution on its way that will finally allow control (without needing Vera or that "other company's" software):

The new Leviton VRC0P-1LW... it has been updated to support "Beaming" and Z-Wave Secure Lock classes, and is now flash upgradeable. The latest ETA date I have seen is May 13th.
Those locks use some stuff that is in a later version of the Z-Wave toolkit than we have access to. And it's apparently pretty radically different from the way anything else works because of the security issues, and might involve some significant driver rewriting, I'm not sure. But it would cost us around $3000 to get the latest ZWave toolkit and find out, which we can't afford at the moment.
Dean Roddey
Anyone have any motion detectors recommendations?
I don't use motion detection myself, my apartment is so small that anywhere I move it would probably trigger anyway.

But I have one for testing just sitting over the in corner, just a HomePro one. It aways seems to work fine. I've set it up to send out an async notification to the Z-Wave controller, so the driver sees the motion event immediately. It's been up there for months on a battery but still working fine.
Dean Roddey
something like this

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufa...em/ZIR000/

and what do you use for a controller?
zra Wrote:something like this

http://www.smarthomeusa.com/ShopByManufa...em/ZIR000/

and what do you use for a controller?

Yeh, that's the one. I use the Aeon USB Stick for the controller. Just use a USB extension cable to mount it up on the wall where it can get a straight shot to the other modules, not stuck in the back of the PC controller directly. Well, I do that, but I'm in a really small apartment. I could throw the bits that far by hand if necessary, so it doesn't have any problems. But in a house I'd get it up a bit without a bunch of gear and rack stuff around it.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can CQC be used for controlling theatrical lighting and special effects bmackrell 35 5,844 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Fibaro Z-Wave Devices joeberg 8 2,248 12-27-2016, 11:19 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Interesting Z-Wave Devices??? batwater 3 784 10-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  Z-Wave announcement from CEPro batwater 20 1,308 09-01-2016, 10:05 AM
  Looking for input on basement lighting George M 0 626 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Last Post: George M
  Your experience with internal security cameras? Deane Johnson 3 737 01-30-2016, 01:42 PM
  insteon vs. UPB for primarily lighting rtarver 16 2,197 12-25-2015, 09:53 AM
  best way to trigger events on motion? jkmonroe 2 683 11-28-2015, 04:01 PM
  Motion Sensor data logging? jkmonroe 4 742 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Has anyone looked at Hue for lighting? ellisr63 72 7,818 02-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson