Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client 1.6 Submitted to app store
brianmount Wrote:Maybe what I can do, then, is have my cache hold 128 items, plus any items up to 256 that are no more than 20K, plus any items up to 512 that are no more than 10K, or something like that. Hopefully that will help in this particular situation.

You probably already know that loading full-screen background images (and a rotating set of them at that) is like driving around with a boat anchor in your trunk. You may not have noticed the performance hit in your Range Rover, and I presume that the boat anchor brings fond memories of places you've been, sailing the high seas with the salty wind at your back, fighting Spanish galleons and so on. But now that you're using Apple's equivalent of a Mini Cooper, you might want to take a look at whether the nostalgia value of that hunk of rusty iron is really worth the pokey acceleration.

OK, that sounds good about the cache. I really have plenty of room on my iPad, and I do have more than 512 of the smaller images, it still would be nice if we could increase it if we needed to as I have about 1,000 movies, and about 800 albums. Optimally I would like to get all of the cover art in the cache, but this would definitely help.

I agree completely about the background image, and I believe i will be revisiting this in the next couple of days to see if I can find a smaller color depth image and use just the one. I have definitely seen the performance penalty and will be addressing it.
Rob
rm1759 Wrote:I agree completely about the background image, and I believe i will be revisiting this in the next couple of days to see if I can find a smaller color depth image and use just the one. I have definitely seen the performance penalty and will be addressing it.
Or as Dean suggested, just use a color for the background. Having a flashy interface might be nice the first 15 minutes you use it, but if if you're going to get performance hit for years to come, is it really worth it?
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
Fonceur Wrote:Or as Dean suggested, just use a color for the background. Having a flashy interface might be nice the first 15 minutes you use it, but if if you're going to get performance hit for years to come, is it really worth it?

Yes, I agree, I will be moving to a single color, or a very simple image for the background.

But what about the cache for the cover art? like I said I am using small images for those, and I would like to be able to cache all of them. they are only 4K at the most apiece. optimally, I would like to get them all in the cache, as the load time is much quicker and usable. having to wait for it to download each image makes the wife not want to use it. Like I said, this is my primary use of the ipad, and even if you cached all of the images for my library (2,000 * 4K) only comes to 8 MB which is still small in today's standards... Then if I do change images, I can just clear the cache...
Rob
I would just like to add that I am extremely impressed at how well this app is running now. I am using graphic backgrounds over 3G on an iPhone 4 and it's so slick. Connection time is less than 3 seconds and it's always solid. You can't tell the difference between 3g and WLAN on my templates.

I agree though more cached the better. Big media libraries are a reality and the smoother it can transition the better.

Keep up the good work!
Glad you're happy with it! Sounds like your usage is a lot like mine and I agree it is pretty well now. It couldn't have happened without all the feedback on this forum. Thanks to everybody who helped.
I would agree with Nightlight. not that it is a competition or anything, but this is much more reliable than the droid RIVA client.

You didn't mention if you would consider upping the cache amount, or allow the user to configure it a bit more?
Rob
I will increase the number of items in the cache, as long as the additional items are small. For your use case, that should suffice. I assume that I'll have to make various tweaks going forward to meet everyone's needs, but (at the moment, anyway) I'd rather try to get a default setup that does a good job rather than make it user-configurable, which runs risks of having the application perform poorly in various ways for those whose configuration is not correct. Of course, if I can't find a one-size-fits-all solution I'll cave and just add a bunch of buttons and sliders.
that sounds great! thanks again.
Rob
CQC Client 1.6 works with iOS5 beta on my AT&T iphone4. I have not tested on any other devices.
I have been using the iPhone/iPad RIVA client for some time now. While it works reasonably well, I have three issues that are pretty much forcing me to go back to RDP:
1. This is really the deal killer. Loading images for the media browser is just too slow. I am loading 20 images at a time in low res and it takes an agonizing amount of time. With RDP it is essentially instant. I know there has been discussion on caching and such, but that still doesn't address the really slow first time load. Seems to be tons of memory available on my iPad and I only have the 16GB version. Would be nice if I could just load all the images in the background when the RIVA client starts and have them preexisting in the cache when I need them.
2. The template buttons just aren't as responsive with RIVA as they are on RDP. This isn't a showstopper, but it is annoying.
3. No ability to use web widgets, which makes controlling a device with a nice web based control difficult. Also not a showstopper, but annoying.

Not sure where to go from here. Seems like issue #1 is inherent in the whole RIVA protocol and is aggravated by iPhone/iPad issues as well. RDP has it's list of problems as well, but seem less of an issue for the Wife/kids/grandkids than RIVA.
Any chance this can be addressed.
Thx.
Mike

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone 6 Plus Resolution jokermac 51 29,443 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Anyone want to take over the CQC iPhone apps? brianmount 46 28,147 06-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Lost my iPhone connectivity rtarver 0 3,101 11-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Basic RIVA Questions TurboSam 15 13,257 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC Riva App Iphone 6 zra 14 11,929 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
  iPad Blank and Blanker setup issues Deane Johnson 1 4,329 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  How to get Ipad to refresh? Deane Johnson 1 4,236 11-08-2014, 10:01 AM
  What size template for iPad? Deane Johnson 2 4,403 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  New CQC user, trouble getting iPad to connect Deane Johnson 3 4,890 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Riva Client login credentials fail finish.06 2 5,663 08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Last Post: finish.06