Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client 1.6 Submitted to app store
Those are the evil ones that won't happen in the debugger. I wasted most of a day last week on one of those, just trying to figure out what was happening.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Is there a way to roll back to the previous version. Can you post the previous version in iTunes as a new version so it works again?

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Mick,

I just successfully did this on my system. If you havent synced the app with Itunes since you updated it with the bugged version then it should work for you.

1)Delete the app on the phone

2) Connect the phone to your computer and start up Itunes. Let it do its sync thing. It probably will NOT add the CQC app since you have deleted it.

3) Drag the CQC app that is listed to your device(Iphone)

4) re do your settings and wallah!
ZRA, that worked perfectly - thanks!
I was finally able to reproduce the problem in the debugger, made some hasty changes and submitted a new version to Apple. So now we can sit and wait for two weeks to see if the changes work. Even if they don't, though, we won't be any worse off, because the app is currently unusable, so I figured I could be a little more cavalier about pushing the change.

For the curious: I think what is happening results from my having switched from the Apple compiler, which is the default, to the GCC compiler. I did that because the Apple compiler is no longer able to produce working code for iOS 3.x, such as I have on my old iPod Touch. The workaround I found on the discussion groups was to switch to GCC, which Apple's development environment also supports. Unfortunately, I think that GCC, when in code optimization mode, must have stricter byte alignment requirements. Dean's RIVA messages don't concern themselves with how the bytes fall, and I think some of my code was likewise assuming that it could read things out of memory starting on any byte. When GCC is not optimizing (as is usually the case when debugging, so that the debugger can do a better job of showing you what is happening), that's fine, and everything works. But when GCC is optimizing (as is the case when distributing the app to the App Store, for performance purposes), you have to be more particular. Eventually, I realized that, by turing on optimization in debug mode, I could reproduce the crash, and was then able to change the code so that it didn't crash any more.

Unfortunately, I don't understand exactly what GCC's requirements are, so I can't be certain I have eradicated all byte alignment problems. It runs in the debugger in my simple tests, but maybe there's some crash waiting to happen if the template has particular features. So keep your fingers crossed!
brianmount Wrote:I was finally able to reproduce the problem in the debugger, made some hasty changes and submitted a new version to Apple. So now we can sit and wait for two weeks to see if the changes work. Even if they don't, though, we won't be any worse off, because the app is currently unusable

Thanks for the fix and info. I guess I will try to do a back rev the app as per ZRA's instructions and wait the 2 weeks.
Kevin
brianmount Wrote:So now we can sit and wait for two weeks to see if the changes work.
You are allowed to request one "expedited review" a year per product... You basically tell them how to reproduce the crash, and they put you on the fast track after. Of course I've had regular reviews go faster than the expedited one, but... Wink

Quote:I did that because the Apple compiler is no longer able to produce working code for iOS 3.x
Actually, you just need to add ARMV6 as a supported platform, then you can publish stuff for ARM 6 and 7... See:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41986...ild-config
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
daddyd Wrote:ZRA, that worked perfectly - thanks!

Glad it worked for daddyd.

I tell ya. Im in crisis mode if my cqc iphone app doesnt work Smile

i have to use things like keys to get into my house...and to turn on a light manually? who does that? how archaic Smile
ZRA,

1) Thanks very much for posting the rollback procedure!
2) Stay tuned in the new year for the first cut of shiny NEW CQC iphone app!!

:-)
looking forward to it SamVimes. Thanks for the great contribution.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone 6 Plus Resolution jokermac 51 29,345 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Anyone want to take over the CQC iPhone apps? brianmount 46 28,077 06-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Lost my iPhone connectivity rtarver 0 3,092 11-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Basic RIVA Questions TurboSam 15 13,227 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC Riva App Iphone 6 zra 14 11,870 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
  iPad Blank and Blanker setup issues Deane Johnson 1 4,315 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  How to get Ipad to refresh? Deane Johnson 1 4,219 11-08-2014, 10:01 AM
  What size template for iPad? Deane Johnson 2 4,387 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  New CQC user, trouble getting iPad to connect Deane Johnson 3 4,865 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Riva Client login credentials fail finish.06 2 5,652 08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Last Post: finish.06