Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad RIVA Client update coming soon
pjgregory Wrote:In my system, if the iPad disconnects for any reason, it does not jump back to main screen. I get the same view of the last screen from my Interface. Sometimes there is an error message "Pipes broken" etc. and pressing the OK button does return me to the main screen. At other times, there is no error message and the client just hangs until I use the 4 fingured gesture to bring up the Disconnect screen. Pressing the disconnect button goes back to the main screen where I can re-start the App.

This my iPad experience with the app exactly.
Ditto on my IPhone 4, I always get an error dialog.

But just to be clear on expectations. Even with the proposed changes, if the client does get disconnected and automatically reconnect you will not be able to pick right back up where you left off. The server will take you back to your start screen, this is because the RIVA server does not maintain session state. This is not a limitation of the client but the server. It is basically like you launched a new client, all your variables will get wiped, etc. You may be able to do something with the variables driver to track state to get around this....
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Dean Roddey Wrote:As has been mentioned before, one way we could do it is to move from RIVA clients connecting to the server and causing a specific template to be loaded, to allowing you to configure RIVA sessions that are just always there and running, and to which RIVA clients 'subscribe' I guess you'd say in that case. That way the client wouldn't drive the creation of the session, they'd just always be there. So it wouldn't care if the RIVA client is connected or not, and every connection would be kind of a 'reconnection'.

It would still have to be limited to one client at a given time subscribing to any given session, and of course it means no such thing as the account used to logon driving what is displayed. It's more like 'channels to subscribe to'. But it avoids many of the issues, such as time to get things up and going and loss of connection.

That might sound like overkill and just being able to reconnect would be better. But reconnection in a non-subscription sort of way has it's downsides. One is that the session has to be left up for an arbitrarily length of time, and it's eating up a client license, even if the client that was lost just got shut down and stuffed in someone's pocket when the signal was lost, because it has to assume that the client may reconnect.

If you then just open another session, since you don't know it's waiting, it's now eaten two license slots. So you can kind of eat up all of your license slots in some scenarios and be locked out for minutes since the server would have to keep the session alive for at least minutes in order for the reconnect thing to really be useful probably.

So, maybe why not just do away with that and just have the session running and just connect and disconnect from it all you want and it never goes away.

I guess it has security benefits to some degree as well, since what template you get is purely driven by configuration of the RIVA server, not by what account someone can manage to get logged in on.

I like this train of thought A LOT.
I like the session timeout better and make it configurable. That seems like a more common implementation. If you come back in with the same user ID you get your session back, if not it's a new session.

If the "channel" method is implemented I think it should be the userid that is the channel identifier.

Or you could get both by just having a configurable timeout and allow a timeout of never. I think, either way, you will need some sort of console implemented so people can see session info (how many sessions are active, who is logged on, how long has it been idle) and the kill a session.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
brianmount Wrote:I have no problem with adopting whatever scheme is made available. That depends on what Dean decides to do in consultation with y'all. At the moment, reconnecting will always take you back to the initial screen, and there's nothing I can do about that.

The broken pipe error makes sense to me. We have seen that, and I'm hoping that the new version will reconnect in that case, but if not, it's just a matter of adding more checks, so I'm confident we can fix it. The situation where the connection neither works nor gives an error is puzzling to me. I don't know what could be happening. Is there a way to check the CQC log to see whether the server thinks the connection is still alive, or has been disconnected?

Sorry I don't know how to check the CQClog and first thing in the morning I am off on 3 weeks vacation. I will log in again when I return and if you have not fixed the problems, I will try to provide more detailed information.

PJG
pjgregory Wrote:Sorry I don't know how to check the CQClog and first thing in the morning I am off on 3 weeks vacation. I will log in again when I return and if you have not fixed the problems, I will try to provide more detailed information.

PJG

Wow, three weeks vacation. I've heard of that. I think I saw something about it on TV once :tounge
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
SamVimes2 Wrote:I like this train of thought A LOT.

Count me in also! It would be great to come back to where you left off.
monetteboy Wrote:Count me in also! It would be great to come back to where you left off.

I think in the end this is essential not just great if the iPad is to become the viewer of choice. I just did not realise that it would involve a lot of work on Deans part.

PJG
(From an airline lounge in Dubai on the way to my three week vacation in India - gloat, gloat!)
pjgregory Wrote:I think in the end this is essential not just great if the iPad is to become the viewer of choice. I just did not realise that it would involve a lot of work on Deans part.

PJG
(From an airline lounge in Dubai on the way to my three week vacation in India - gloat, gloat!)

There's just a pretty heavy conflict between wanting to be able to recover from a loss of signal, and wanting to avoid hanging up available license slots, and of wanting a quick up and going on initial connect.

The ability to recover from a loss of signal, without an always on viewer session already going, is kind of the worst case scenario. The current scenario is pretty straightforward, but problematic because you go back to scratch if you lose the connection. Though I don't think that's really so much of an issue when it's being used in the normal sort of way in the home, right?

The always on 'channel' approach is kind of next in line, since you never have any worries about whether this is a reconnection or a connection or whether the same client is getting confused and reconnecting again and again until eats up all the license slots and then they are in use for minutes until the server can drop them. It's just always there and it doesn't care if the client is connected or not. It just sends it stuff if it is.

The primary complication of the channel scenario is getting the client back into sync, but that's pretty easy to do. The simple senario is just force a redraw of the screen upon connect, which will send out everything to the client as though (in the current scheme) he just logged in. We could try to be fancier and send a PNG of the screen as it currently is, and then start sending redraw commands. I'm not sure if one will ultimately be that much faster than the other.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
FWIW I'm watching all this with a great deal of interest. Outside of adding control to my iPhone the airpanel is getting quite long in the tooth. This leaves me debating touchscreen capable clients as replacements. Both the iPad and HP's Touchsmart PCs seem promising.
Les

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone 6 Plus Resolution jokermac 51 28,665 08-03-2016, 03:33 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Anyone want to take over the CQC iPhone apps? brianmount 46 27,440 06-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Lost my iPhone connectivity rtarver 0 2,992 11-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Basic RIVA Questions TurboSam 15 12,936 01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC Riva App Iphone 6 zra 14 11,586 11-28-2014, 07:29 PM
  iPad Blank and Blanker setup issues Deane Johnson 1 4,203 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  How to get Ipad to refresh? Deane Johnson 1 4,108 11-08-2014, 10:01 AM
  What size template for iPad? Deane Johnson 2 4,259 11-07-2014, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  New CQC user, trouble getting iPad to connect Deane Johnson 3 4,731 11-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Riva Client login credentials fail finish.06 2 5,557 08-21-2014, 06:39 AM
Last Post: finish.06