Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long should an Elk M1G battery last?
Last night my Elk keypad started beeping periodically and displays "Low Battery". The little light is ON on the Elk brick. The Elk and it's battery are almost 3 years old.

Is it reasonable that I need to buy a new battery already. If so, any recommendations on where to buy a replacement?

Is there anything else I should check first?
kayemsi Wrote:Last night my Elk keypad started beeping periodically and displays "Low Battery". The little light is ON on the Elk brick. The Elk and it's battery are almost 3 years old.

Is it reasonable that I need to buy a new battery already. If so, any recommendations on where to buy a replacement?

Is there anything else I should check first?

I just had to replace mine. It lasted 4-5 years which I have read is about average. It is a pretty standard alarm backup battery. If you have a Fry's or Battery Plus nearby, they are $20-$30. I also believe Automated Outlet carries them online if you don't have anything local. In my case, I had an old small APC UPS sitting around and I stole the battery out of it since it fit in the cabinet and met the specs. BTW, in the meantime, you can press the * key on a keypad and it will silence the beep. I almost went crazy before I finally looked that up.

Joey
You also should replace it BEFORE the panel tells you to. Every three years is a good timeframe. By the time your panel tells you to to change it, the battery is pretty shot. If you had a power outage the day before that, it probably wouldn't have lasted more then 1/2 hour. Before you replace it do a test, and see if your panel runs the required 8 hours. I bet it won't be even close.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPad battery swelling after years of 24x7 kfly 0 784 06-10-2018, 06:36 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Controlling LED light with 12v battery ellisr63 32 3,106 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  HW RAID taking extraordinarily long to write to array IVB 10 1,545 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Last Post: MBrew
  Airpanel battery question dman000000 5 1,014 12-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Acoba