Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
web client (html/ajax)
why there no development for such client - it's will work on across all platforms without any changes?
bjkiller Wrote:why there no development for such client - it's will work on across all platforms without any changes?
Because it would take more than a year to develop and would exclude all other feature creation during that time. The estimated benefit doesn't come close to the cost involved.
Mark Stega
We've done some playing around, but as Mark said, there is a significant amount of effort required. The problem is, no matter what you do in Ajax, it will need to be custom for each user unless you want some simple field based interface a la Homeseer...

I still think the quickest route to a web interface may be a web based RIVA client in HTML5, Flash, or Java that can run in a browser....
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
If the XML Gateway still provided template information and the XGWClient were extended to include querying template information it could be done in much less time than suggested. There was talk the template information would be deprecated as there was a sense it wasn't needed anymore with the advent of the RIVA. The template information would not only be useful here, but anything like a native iPhone/iPad/Mac app that doesn't require a custom editor that would allow for a semi-translation of native CQC templates would pretty much require it.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
jrlewis Wrote:If the XML Gateway still provided template information and the XGWClient were extended to include querying template information it could be done in much less time than suggested. There was talk the template information would be deprecated as there was a sense it wasn't needed anymore with the advent of the RIVA. The template information would not only be useful here, but anything like a native iPhone/iPad/Mac app that doesn't require a custom editor that would allow for a semi-translation of native CQC templates would pretty much require it.

The reason I removed it is that it's a LOT of very tedious and difficult to correctly maintain code, and that everyone who complains about lackings relative to some native implementation on things like the iPhone complain about how lacking the IV system is, and therefore I just assumed that they would end up using some other screen design system that would let them do what they want to do.

And you have to remember that if you do it yourself you are now responsible for supporting the whole action system, all of the graphics work, all of the widget implementations, etc... It's a LOT of work.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Agreed it is a lot of work, but I still feel with the proper information from the system it would be useful for things like a native app on say a mac or the ability to create and serve dynamic html automagically from within CQC. Having to recreate an interface editor would be a lot of work. Being able to take a description of an interface and translate that into a native implementation on another platform would be less work. There would likely be restrictions of course as to what you could translate automagically. I think most of the limitations folks complain about isn't so much what the IV can't do from an automation features standpoint, but the graphical styles and elements it isn't capable of; fluid motion, kinetic scrolling, etc.. If an individual did take on an effort for doing native devlopement to support cqc on other than windows system the cost would be more than folks are willing to pay anyhow.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
Could you even do the arbitrary placement of elements that the IV allows for in HTML? And all of the widget interactions and all of that? I was assuming you'd have to use some sort of HTML designer that would create screens that can be supported in HTML.
Dean Roddey
Given coordinates and z-order the placement could be done automagically using CSS. You could also do a lot of mappings for actions as well that would provide the same IV behavior within an HTML doc. It wouldn't be possible to support the full spectrum that the IV supports. However, if an individual were intelligent about the way they provided the functionality in the browser with the scripting you could do quite a bit. I have what I call a "dumb as dirt" web implementation I had started on that supplied configuration of drivers to select active fields and read only capability. All the content is created in the macro including the client side scripting so no templates or 3rd party includes are required. The field IO is done using another macro that takes in structured field data and provides data updates in JSON format that makes for very efficient consumption by the client side code. Most of my spare time has been delegated to other pursuits the last month or so. It looks like things may settle down here in the near future so I can get it out soon.
Bob sent me his web field reader to try and its very very helpful. (I greatly appreciate the time spent on this) If this were to be enhanced to support both read/write, it could perform any field read/writes from ANY web browser, which is "fantastic" for remote administration, no let me say life changing. I use the read-only version to access CQC from work or from a Mac, and it works great.

For me, even a very simple way to build simple web pages to access CQC fields would be fantastic. Just very basic.
anogee Wrote:For me, even a very simple way to build simple web pages to access CQC fields would be fantastic. Just very basic.

For read only, it's trivial. Use any web page designer you want and just embed field references in it and they will be resolved by the web server. It gets harder when you want to make them more interactive.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Html 5 Riva potts.mike 9 9,325 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: bjkiller
  Windows Phone Client - whats the option here znelbok 3 9,464 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dangerlong
  .Net RIVA Client Dean Roddey 146 77,932 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Java based RIVA Client? batwater 10 10,004 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM
Last Post: wuench
  XML gateway client in 3.0.6 RobWalker 4 5,372 12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  RIVA Client for Linux bryanb 22 14,876 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Last Post: bjkiller