Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 3.2 Beta Thread
Dean, would it break the world if we had a start/stop byte helper func that took 2 bytes for the start and 2 for the stop? I had been using the 1-byte version, but found to my dismay that the byte isn't unique in the message, so I was getting partial messages. It actually uses 2 bytes for the start and 2 for the stop. For now I'm just using the GetTermed() helper since it takes 2 bytes...but it also (for reasons I cant fathom) doesn't return those 2 term bytes, which I happen to need (for the checksum later, as well as other stuff), so I have to add them in.

Anyway, it would be a help if a helper existed for start/stop that took a Card2 for those values.
We'd probably have to add another one. I think that the term based ones don't return the termination characters, on the assumption that they are not part of the actual message, and therefore you'd have to discard them anyway. We couldn't change that now.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Well, I'd *rather* have the start/stop 2-byte solution than the existing helpers return the stop bytes consistently.
Well, I got what I think is the bulk of the work required to move the temlates to a hierarchical storage scheme today. Hopefully tomorrow I can test that out, and make the changes required to update all the template references to move them all initially into a \User\ directory, and get the installer modified to deal with the moving of the template files to a slightly different spot.
Dean Roddey
That will rock! Will make version/resolution/theme related stuff so much easier to deal with. Is relative specification of templates in the action system in the plans as well or will they all need to be absolute?
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
They would need to be absolute paths, at least for now. There's no HTML'ish concept of relative paths when you load another template. The main reason for this is that it's a prerequisite of a complete overhaul of the packaging system.

However, you can always use a global variable for the leading part of the path, so that you can change it once and have it affect all references.
Dean Roddey
I was hoping to be able to do away with the GVar's I have that already tracks that type of stuff. But just having the hierarchical system will help for the template naming which can get out of hand.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
Well, the hierarchical storage seems to be basically working. I still need to test a few things, but the data upgrading is working correctly it seems, and my demo interfaces appear to function correctly. I still need to update the installer but that'll be pretty straightforward.
Dean Roddey
Great news - Are you eventually going to allow versioning and multi-directories so that you can keep interface sets together?
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:Great news - Are you eventually going to allow versioning and multi-directories so that you can keep interface sets together?

Not in the immediate future. These things are just precursor work to a redo of the packaging system.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.5 Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 3 63 Yesterday, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.5 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 1 31 06-23-2019, 12:22 PM
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 42,166 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,423 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 151,851 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 7,994 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 88,172 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 8,860 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 198,472 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,652 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM