Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barebones ITX $87
I bet this would be a great little box for a wall touchscreen.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Here is more info including the dimensions:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/EN-US/prod...-gb0000129
Wish it had a serial port though, it's model is RS233... lol. I have an MSI Wind desktop, essentially the same. It's a nice quiet little system.

I recently built an Atom 330 based mini itx system, board and case were about $110. (Mobo/CPU and Case). It was on sale a week or two ago. Faster and has a serial port. 2 Cases fit side by side perfectly on a 19" rack.
What do you do for an OS for either of these things? Full-fledged windows XP or the like?
Standon,

Have you taken any measurements to see what the real world energy usage is on that Atom 330 box? The addition of the on-board serial port would make that a great touch screen controller, but I've been trying to combine functions and eliminate 24/7 PCs. If it's miserly enough though I might spring for a couple.
zpollock Wrote:Standon,

Have you taken any measurements to see what the real world energy usage is on that Atom 330 box? The addition of the on-board serial port would make that a great touch screen controller, but I've been trying to combine functions and eliminate 24/7 PCs. If it's miserly enough though I might spring for a couple.

One thing to consider is there is a new Atom chipset, PineView, releasing starting in this quarter. The dual core version, the D510, should be available in products in Q1 and will use about 18 watts less power (15 vs. 33) than the existing chipsets.
zpollock Wrote:Standon,

You know, I've been meaning to pick up a Kill A Watt, but I never do. I do have a UPS with a display that should give me some info on its power usage. Doing some rearranging in the rack anyway, I'll plug it in and let you know what I've got and how much its using.

For OS, I just pick up an ebay OEM XP Pro for like $50.

Edit: I plugged it into an extra CyberPower UPS, idle ranged between 0.03kw and 0.023kw. For hdd, I have a 3.5" Hitachi Deskstar (750GB, SATA 3.0Gb/s, rated 5v 680mA 12v 850mA). I have a full sized DVD burner in there (SATAII). 2GB of some cheapo WinTec ram that was on sale when I bought the board. I don't think any of the USB ports are being used. My case has a PSU that may take more power as well. I have previously used the board type ones for a Epia mini ITX build, a picoPSU like this was plenty.
Thanks for the energy usage feedback.