Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Generic Irrigation Scheduler
kayemsi Wrote:Since you ask for the moniker of the Rain8 driver, is there any way to query that driver to find out which what its field names are?

When you install the Rain8 driver it asks for the module numbers and I enter 1,3 so you could do something similar to setup the field names. But that doesn't help in looping thru modules unless you have another level of abstraction {module[0].number = 1;module[1].number=3}

Yes, there is a QueryFields method in the SimpleFldClient class that I could use to get the fields and then figure out which ones are there/missing.

I'll try it and see how it works.
I currently have 2 units and zone 16 is actually set up as a pump relay. Zone 16 runs when any zone is running. Have you thought about code to handle a zone type and a way of making a zone type a pump with specific programming for that type? Also, have you thought about incorporation with a rain or moisture sensor? And lastly, have you considered integration with one of the current weather modules available inside of CQC?

OK so I just gave you six months of work to do.....
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:I currently have 2 units and zone 16 is actually set up as a pump relay. Zone 16 runs when any zone is running. Have you thought about code to handle a zone type and a way of making a zone type a pump with specific programming for that type? Also, have you thought about incorporation with a rain or moisture sensor? And lastly, have you considered integration with one of the current weather modules available inside of CQC?

Had not considered a zone running a pump, but shouldn't be too hard to handle if I know the possibilities. So, one mode is that a zone always runs when any other runs. What else?

I definitely have considered rainfall and weather. My goal is to get to autonomous control taking into account evapotranspiration, rainfall forecasts, and other weather conditions - we'll see how well it works.

My plan has been to hook into the WeatherChannel driver for forecasts and the weather data to calculate the ET numbers. I have a request in to Dean for access to the UV data in the WeatherChannel driver in order to calculate some of the values I need.

Keep the ideas / requirements coming.
On the zone input thing; Each Rain8Net zone can be configured for 2 types of input or standard output. On the input side, these are the options and methods;

Input Features

Read rain switch status
Send:
First byte = 50h
Second byte = module address in hex
Third byte = EFh
Responds with 50h & EFh in first two bytes and 00 if switch closed or 64h if switch open, in third byte
No response if no address match or if rain sensor option not enabled

Read flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E0h
Responds with 50h in first byte and 16 bit counter value in last two bytes
No response if no address match or if flow meter option not enabled
Clear flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E7h
Responds by echoing back above command

On the pump thing;

This is really just a driver/program side setting, not a device setting like above. You just need logic in your setup routine to select a zone as a pump relay zone. In your logic, that zone simply turns on when any zone turns on and off with a 15 second delay or so after the zone turns off. You do not want the pump relay banging on and off and then on once more when the driver timer is changing zones.

I have not studied your scenes closely, but also, have you considered seasonality? It is nice to have the ability to push the % of run time up rather than re-programing all the zone timers.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:On the zone input thing; Each Rain8Net zone can be configured for 2 types of input or standard output. On the input side, these are the options and methods;

Input Features

Read rain switch status
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = EFh
Responds with 50h & EFh in first two bytes and 00 if switch closed or 64h if switch open, in third byte

Read flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E0h
Clear flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E7h

On the pump thing;

This is really just a driver/program side setting, not a device setting like above. You just need logic in your setup routine to select a zone as a pump relay zone. In your logic, that zone simply turns on when any zone turns on and off with a 15 second delay or so after the zone turns off. You do not want the pump relay banging on and off and then on once more when the driver timer is changing zones.

I have not studied your scenes closely, but also, have you considered seasonality? It is nice to have the ability to push the % of run time up rather than re-programing all the zone timers.

So, it sounds like the Rain8 driver needs some enhancements in order to read the moisture and flow values.

My driver is designed to be a 'super' driver that relies on other lower level drivers to interface to the actual devices.

The pump control doesn't sound like it should be too hard to handle.

On seasonality, I've been assuming the ET calculations will handle the changing water needs throughout the year. It takes into account latitude / longitude / day of year and calculates max sun angles. That feeds back into lower soil moisture loss in cool seasons and higher soil moisture loss in warm seasons. The irrigation system then responds to the accumulated moisture loss and runs as needed by season.
An update for anyone considering using this with Rain8UPB. There seems to be a problem with the CQC UPB driver not triggering the Rain8UPB device. I have Kirk (the UPB driver author) looking into this but for now the Rain8UPB cannot be controlled with CQC at all.

Once the UPB driver is revised this should work.
DaveB Wrote:I currently have 2 units and zone 16 is actually set up as a pump relay. Zone 16 runs when any zone is running. Have you thought about code to handle a zone type and a way of making a zone type a pump with specific programming for that type? Also, have you thought about incorporation with a rain or moisture sensor? And lastly, have you considered integration with one of the current weather modules available inside of CQC?

I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 'master valve' (zone 1) which needs to be on along with any of the actual zone valves. In other words, 2 zones need to be "on" to get water. The master valve will remain on until all watering is complete.

I need to terminate some cat5e cables at the Rain8 unit but I really look forward to using this driver. Sorry I can't be a lot of help testing it currently!
Keith
DaveB Wrote:On the zone input thing; Each Rain8Net zone can be configured for 2 types of input or standard output. On the input side, these are the options and methods;

Input Features

Read rain switch status
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = EFh

Read flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E0h
Clear flow meter counter
Send:
First byte = 50h
Third byte = E7h

On the pump thing;

What your talking about is an enhancement to the original Rain8NET. This did not exist when I wrote the driver.

If you change it now, you will probably stop it working with a lot of units already out there.

Regards

Rohan
HAMFIELD
Software & Hardware Solutions
Makers of the Translink C-Bus Gateway
for the Apple iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
klindy Wrote:I'm sort of in the same boat. I have a 'master valve' (zone 1) which needs to be on along with any of the actual zone valves. In other words, 2 zones need to be "on" to get water. The master valve will remain on until all watering is complete.

I need to terminate some cat5e cables at the Rain8 unit but I really look forward to using this driver. Sorry I can't be a lot of help testing it currently!

I currently use a Hunter Pro-C controller, but the above is the same setup I have. My master valve is located a couple of feet from the well pump/tank. The zone valves are as much as 200' away. My irrigation system is on the same water well as my home so I don't control the well pump with the irrigation system, instead letting the tank pressure determine when the pump runs.
You can consider a master valve and a pump relay in the same class. They perform the same way but for different reasons.

On the Rain8Net and zone settings - yes this is available in the standard version and the pro version. It is well documented on the Rain8 tech docs. What I posted is a clip from those documents. I posted it as I knew you did not have it covered.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generic Modbus Driver - Serial & IP znelbok 25 12,622 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Irrigation Caddy - WIFI Version (IC-W1) kblagron 0 1,396 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Generic Database Driver - Beta Mikla 109 32,445 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Mikla