Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the perfect Pre-wire?
Thanks for the comments.

Definitely would like to put in as much as I can now. The only costs are materials and any delay I cause the other trades since I still have a "real" job to keep me busy.

I will start with security wiring and probably Cat 5 to all light switches -- someday when money becomes available, I'd like to do something like the OnQ system -- but probably spending money on conduit before other wiring. Of course, some other wiring will be done right now so I thank everyone for your continued feedback.

Looking to spend our limited budget on other things that cannot be retrofitted later, or would be expensive to replace (geothermal HVAC, upgrade the doors & windows, etc.). We should need few TVs and sofas and the like -- its not like we don't own any of those already! -- but I'm sure of "it would be nice for the new house" will sneak in despite our best efforts.

One other thought... doesn't the electrical code say unused wires/cables should be removed? So adding unused wires/cables seems against the spirit even if probably technically okay (they aren't abandoned yet!).

Anyway, thanks again everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and will probably be back with more questions!
Code requirements will change from locale to locale. I will tell you that if you're running Cat5 to a high voltage box, you will most likely need special wire. I'd ask an electrician because some places have a rule about unterminated wires into an HV box and I've heard that some require a separator between HV and LV portions of the box.

Russ...
Two CAT5s to the nuvo/russound keypad locations. If you do a intercom system like the russound one you want it to be in path of whole house audio speakers as it can 'hi-jack' the speaker wires for the intercom.

I only ran one so ended up controling the nuvo via cqc via touchpanels but if you are planning whole house audio I would run two cat5s to the keypads.
Rich
needed to hunt down this thread, thought i'd bump it in case the newbies were curious.

And by newbies, I also mean "new to succumbing to hardwired". Cough cough jkmonroe cough cough
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
hey now, i fully extol the virtues of wiring for A/V distribution, but drew the line at wiring to point-of-entry for security. i have since seen the light, and can say that if you can pull the wire, go ahead and pull the wire. if it's new construction, put miles (literally) of it in the walls to every single everything you can think of. wire is cheap, labor after the fact is not. actually id probably run 18/4 and 2 cat5e as a single drop, just because.

but in 2016, i think there is better value in zoning certain things instead of distributing them. i think i have better reliability and value with Tivo Minis and a single RG6 than I would with an HDMI matrix and baluns; or Sonos versus Nuvo, although im coming back around to that avenue these days.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Caseta / Netatmo / Brultech in testing
I actually had to give up on the TivoMiniOverRG6 route (blanking on what thats called). Was horridly unstable. Had to use the network cxn.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:I actually had to give up on the TivoMiniOverRG6 route (blanking on what thats called). Was horridly unstable. Had to use the network cxn.
It is called MoCA; I have two TiVo mini's and a Roamio Pro connected by MoCA and they have been rock solid. Quality of the RG6 distribution network matters. I may have been lucky.
Mark Stega
mine are rock solid as well, but i dont have any splitters on my RG6 runs.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Caseta / Netatmo / Brultech in testing
Make sure you take photos before the sheet rock goes up, and lots of them. Its been 7 years since I built my house. I have about 10 photos per room, but there were many times I thought of doing something different, and was able to use them to figure out a plan. If I did it again, I would of done more photos.

A high resolution camera is also recommended so you can zoom in and see things up close.

And a similar topic - and one place I didn't take photos that I now regret - the Pool area before concrete was poured. It sure would of been nice to know exactly how all of that was wired and where the conduits went.