Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oppo BDP anyone?
Well rated - but not well known to the masses, and that unfortunately is what counts. Hey, we said the same thing about LG six years ago.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I'm sure not every client would take your advice since some of them think they know everything. But I would think that while most probably have not heard of Oppo, if you showed them the glowing reviews that the blueray player has received, along with the lower cost savings they would be getting, I'd think many customers would be willing to look at the Oppo.

It may not be practical, but a side by side comparison with other better known brands would probably seal the deal. The picture quality sounds like it is every bit as good as the more expensive players, but the start up time is a fraction of some of the other players. That could make the sale right there.

The bottom line is that you are suppose to be the expert, but I also understand the idea that it just isn't worth trying to argue/sell a customer something that is going to be an uphill battle. If they are willing to spend the extra money for a more well know brand, then why fight them. If something goes wrong with "their choice" they will be more patient than if something went wrong with the Oppo.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
sic0048 Wrote:The bottom line is that you are suppose to be the expert, but I also understand the idea that it just isn't worth trying to argue/sell a customer something that is going to be an uphill battle. If they are willing to spend the extra money for a more well know brand, then why fight them. If something goes wrong with "their choice" they will be more patient than if something went wrong with the Oppo.

Well stated Brian. I have been there before, where I pushed one of my favorite off brand products for a high end installation; the customer bought in and the device failed just out of warranty one year later and I had to eat it and install the Sony that they wanted to begin with, all at my cost. That is all I am trying to say hear.

For the pro installer, once a product becomes main stream, we use it. I like this item and hope that it makes it to a well known product prior to the company going another direction or selling out to the competition.

For the record, I had the same problem selling the CQC system when it first hit the market.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
Hey Oppo users.

I'll be drawing a new cut of the BDP-83 driver soon - Oppo released a much more sensible RS232 protocol this month that does async notifies and retains the command that a response relates to in the answer. At last.

Do many people use this Blu-ray player yet? If not, why not? Smile

Chris.
Version 0.2 posted at the front of the thread.

It supports the new async mode Oppo now offers.

There's a bug in the Oppo implementation which I've notified them of:
Quote:Using the new verbose mode, level 2, a couple of the query commands return an incorrect response:

Sending message contains 5 bytes:
HEX: 23 51 43 48 0D
ASCII: #QCH.
Oppo(GetEvent): Received: '@QCH OK 0/0'

HEX: 23 51 45 4C 0D
ASCII: #QEL.
Oppo(GetEvent): Received: '@QCH OK 0:0:0'

HEX: 23 51 52 45 0D
ASCII: #QRE.
Oppo(GetEvent): Received: '@QCH OK 0:0:0'

QEL and QRE both return the command tag QCH, though the contents of the rest of the response appear correctly formatted. This mistake makes it impossible to associate the response with the command that asked for it.

Chris.
I tried this driver with my Theta CompliBlu which is based on the Oppo BDP-83. As near as I can tell Theta didn't change the protocol any. The driver package imports ok but doesn't connect. Could there have been breaking changes in CQC in the interim? I'm not could enough with CDL to tell.
Les
I use this driver (vers 0.2) with a BDP-93, which uses the same protocol as the 83. It connects and works. CQC 3.4.22.
Thanks. Theta must have changed something subtle I've missed.
Les
What's the deal with this driver these days? Someone was asking about it. Is it fairly solid now?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Well, I've been using it stably for the past year or so.

I've not been very active on here, or with my CQC setup, since starting a new job in april and moving house. Not WFH anymore, less playtime Wink But this driver still works as far as I can tell.

Chris.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oppo network file play rtarver 0 1,665 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Last Post: rtarver