Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oppo BDP anyone?
Is anyone working on a driver for the Oppo BDP-83? It has an optional RS232 port on the back. I just received mine today.

Protocol spec is at http://www.oppodigital.com/Download/BDP8...otocol.pdf and looks like the usual modicum of thought went into it. It's delimited, but responses don't indicate what command they're responding to - though it does say "you must wait for a response before doing anything else, and use a timeout of 10 seconds".

I may bash a driver out next week if nobody else has one.

Cheers,
Chris.
Version 0.1:
[INDENT]Error handling is limited and you will occasionally see duff values in some fields since though the protocol is not async, sometimes commands produce more than the expected single line response - spread over several hundred ms. There's some code to compensate (if you SendCommand, polling is paused for 3 seconds and we slurp up as much extraneous input as we can, meaning it gets back in sync quickly) but this protocol is, frankly, evil.[/INDENT]

Update 2010-05-23, version 0.2, attached:
Code:
//  0.2     22May2010   Chris Luke
//                      1) Incorporate updated Oppo protocol, incl async updates
[INDENT]The new protocol is backwards compatible and this driver detects whether it's supported by trying to increase the "verbosity". If it fails, it keeps to the legacy mode, otherwise it handles the async updates etc that we now get.[/INDENT]

Update 2012-08-08, version 0.3 attached:
Code:
//  0.3     08Aug2012   Chris Luke
//                      1) Add driver field showing % progression through the disc
//                      2) Query firmware version

Update 2015-03-01, version 0.4 attached:
Code:
//  0.4     01Mar2015   Dean Roddey
//                      1) Fixed duplicate FirmwareVersion field

Update 2015-09-08, version 0.5 attached:
Code:
//  0.5     08SEP2015   Mark Stega
//                      1) Repaired discrete OFF in the IRCommand list

Update 2015-09-09, version 0.1 attached:
Code:
// CQC
//
//
//  V2 driver for BDP-83/93/95/103/103D/105/105D
//
//  I referred to the BDP-83 driver of Chris Luke origin during development
//
//  Apparently there are two processors in the BDP; One is always on and supports basic RS-232 connectivity. You can issue remote
//  commands and get power status. However, to do things like getting the firmware version (QVR) and setting the timecode (STC) you
//  must have the player in power on mode.
//
//  0.1     09Sep2015   Mark Stega
//                      1) Preview release #1 of V2 driver
//

Update 2015-09-12, version 0.2 attached:
Code:
//  0.2     12Sep2015   Mark Stega
//                      1) Preview release #2 of V2 driver
//                      2) Added Zoom handling
//                      3) Added TVSystem handling
//                      4) Protected commands that were not legal in power off state
//                      5) Removed power commands from the RemoteControl codes to force use of the V2 power command
//                      6) Changed log location to CQCData\MacroFileRoot per ADR suggestion
//                      7) Changed log name to OppoBDP.{moniker}.Log per ADR suggestion
//

Chris.

Attached Files
.cqcdrvpack   Oppo-BDP83-0.5-Serial.CQCDrvPack (Size: 14.21 KB / Downloads: 8)
.cqcdrvpack   Oppo-BDP-0.2-Serial.CQCDrvPack (Size: 12.88 KB / Downloads: 9)
I'm a bit surprised this BD player isn't more popular around here. The reviews are universally great. How is this driver working for you? I'm thinking about getting one and a RS232 driver for CQC is mandatory.

Dale
Seems like a really good blueray player for the money. Read the Home Theater Magazine review for more information (that is just the first review I read). There is also a really comprehensive thread on AVS Forum. Oppo had some really good DVD players, and it seems like they have done it again with their BlueRay player.

Too bad the implementation of the RS-232 command protocol is less than stellar. Looking that the protocol document, it looks fairly complete. Certainly better than the one I'm stuck with on my Denon DVD player. But actual implementation is everything I guess.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
ewww, people actually use physical discs to watch movies :-)

Get a $99 BR PC player, and rip them all to your hard disk. Even a $100 1TB disk can store 25 BluRays.

There's nothing like picking from a screen of cover art for movies, BluRays or DVDs, and having the movie start within 3 seconds.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
DaveB Wrote:Good reviews, but it is an off brand, off name product. I have no doubt that it works great, but I certainly will not be offering it any time soon to my customers. 99% of my customers demand top brand name products in my custom installs.

Just out of curiosity which brands would you recommend for a BD player?
IVB Wrote:ewww, people actually use physical discs to watch movies :-)

Get a $99 BR PC player, and rip them all to your hard disk. Even a $100 1TB disk can store 25 BluRays.

There's nothing like picking from a screen of cover art for movies, BluRays or DVDs, and having the movie start within 3 seconds.

Actually I already have that capability but I really don't want to rip every movie I watch to disk. Besides that I find it most annoying trying to interface a PC, the bundled software player and CQC. Perhaps I need better BD software. In addition the software and SageTV get crossways of each other and Sage doesn't play BD and on and on. With a dedicated player the wife can be watching a DVD in seconds without having to fool with the PC etc. Keeping the wife happy means more dollars for other stuff (automation related of course).
dgeffs Wrote:Actually I already have that capability but I really don't want to rip every movie I watch to disk. Besides that I find it most annoying trying to interface a PC, the bundled software player and CQC. Perhaps I need better BD software. In addition the software and SageTV get crossways of each other and Sage doesn't play BD and on and on. With a dedicated player the wife can be watching a DVD in seconds without having to fool with the PC etc. Keeping the wife happy means more dollars for other stuff (automation related of course).

All true, although I use the extender and bypass CQC for 90% of my Sage stuff. That is the simplest, cuz then it's not even an issue of which remote to use, which input setting on the TV/etc.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
FWIW, I use my Oppo routinely for BD playback now. I don't use CQC to do much with it except turn everything off at the end of a session.

Personally, the picture quality from this device surpasses any other BD player I've seen and the customer support from the mfr is simply excellent.

Chris.
DaveB Wrote:Good reviews, but it is an off brand, off name product. I have no doubt that it works great, but I certainly will not be offering it any time soon to my customers. 99% of my customers demand top brand name products in my custom installs.

Hmm. How is Oppo not a top brand name? They made the best price performance DVD player and now they make what is often considered the best bluray player.

Oppo gets my highest level of respect.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oppo network file play rtarver 0 1,721 01-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Last Post: rtarver