Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIVA Client for Linux
sic0048 Wrote:I don't think installing the MONO package on the Nokia will be hard. I'm sure it has been packaged in such a way to make the process pretty easy.

I have no idea what hardware platform the Nokias run on, but installing mono on them will come down to whether or not there is a mono package built and ready for that platform. If not, you will need to cross-compile mono first.
bryanb Wrote:Two things noted. The .dll files had to be moved to the Linux box and, even though the config file was there, the login utility came up blank. Also, you may have to enter the ip address of the RIVA server machine, not the Host Name.

Bryan
I also saw the exact same thing with the config file when I first started playing with the CF RIVA client. Just checked back over the thread (http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...stcount=8), and it basically ended up being a corrupt CAB file, which wasn't installing all the DLLs.

Maybe you're missing a dll somewhere? Or maybe its just something funky going with a specific call in mono (maybe not implemented?)
froop Wrote:I have no idea what hardware platform the Nokias run on, but installing mono on them will come down to whether or not there is a mono package built and ready for that platform. If not, you will need to cross-compile mono first.

I'll double check, but I am about 99.9% sure there is a specific package already created for MONO and the Nokia tablets. They run the ARM processors and I remember the Nokia's referred to by name on the MONO site.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Quote:I also saw the exact same thing with the config file when I first started playing with the CF RIVA client. Just checked back over the thread (http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum...6&postcount=8), and it basically ended up being a corrupt CAB file, which wasn't installing all the DLLs.

Maybe you're missing a dll somewhere? Or maybe its just something funky going with a specific call in mono (maybe not implemented?)

I think Mark thought it might be where the config file is located. I put in the same folder as the exe and dll files, but it still started blank. He did say that if you go ahead and fill out the blank one, then when you restart the client, it should be filled in. I forgot to try that.
bryanb Wrote:I think Mark thought it might be where the config file is located. I put in the same folder as the exe and dll files, but it still started blank. He did say that if you go ahead and fill out the blank one, then when you restart the client, it should be filled in. I forgot to try that.

That would be the main question. As long as it filled in the information after the initial setup, that would obviously be fine. If it doesn't save the config file ever, then that would be a problem.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
Did any one notice that mono for the iPhone will be out in august September. I wonder if this will work there also.
Given how it works on the Linux machines, I would be surprised if it was any different on the iPhone. So I suspect someone will be able to install MONO on the iPhone and then simply copy the RIVA files onto the iPhone and execute them without modifying them.

Of course if the iPhone RIVA becomes a reality, that would be a cleaner method. It would cut MONO out of the picture completely and would be a big step in reliability. Anytime we rely on a third party software, there is a chance things could go hinky in the future.
Brian

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...tcount=265
I would assume it will require a jailbreak of your iPhone to run Mono. I can't see Apple letting that slip by. They won't even allow Flash because it is too open ended for them.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:I would assume it will require a jailbreak of your iPhone to run Mono. I can't see Apple letting that slip by. They won't even allow Flash because it is too open ended for them.

I would have thought so too. Even if mono does make it through somehow, you would still need to jailbreak it to get the RIVA client onto it. The only other way I could see it working is if mono for iPhone is delivered as a set of runtime libraries that can be packaged with a developers app. So Mono doesn't get installed standalone on your iPhone, but comes with the software. Ie, RIVA client w/Mono gets packaged up onto the apple store.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Html 5 Riva potts.mike 9 9,322 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: bjkiller
  Thinking about the next step in RIVA Dean Roddey 6 7,751 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  Official RIVA thread Dean Roddey 382 151,695 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  Windows Phone Client - whats the option here znelbok 3 9,463 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dangerlong
  .Net RIVA Client Dean Roddey 146 77,919 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Transparent images in RIVA? SamVimes2 36 33,874 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
  riva burkepaol4 1 7,289 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
  Riva screen blanker on CF.NET froop 3 6,799 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Last Post: froop
  RIVA Connection batwater 6 6,972 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: batwater
  web client (html/ajax) bjkiller 9 7,541 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM