Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Datanab Driver v1.0+ Updates
Have made some tweaks and updates to this driver that will eventually be passed on to Dean for release.

This updated driver assumes you have CQC v. 3.0 or later.

Changes:
+ Performs a more efficient poll of all sensors on the device now.
+ Temps can be specified as either Float (default) fields or Int fields now. See description doc for more info.

Attached Files
.zip   DataNAB Modbus Modules Driver Description.zip (Size: 5.33 KB / Downloads: 7)
.cqcdrvpack   DataNab_dev_v.1.4.CQCDrvPack (Size: 26.45 KB / Downloads: 0)
Are you guys aware that the Barix Barionet can be used with the DataNab stuff as well? Maybe this is common knowledge, but I wasn't aware of it. One of our integrators was pushing me to do some changes to the Barionet driver to support DataNab. But it turns out nothing is required. They sell some firmware to go into the Barionet which just dumps the DataNab data into some of the Virtual IO registers of the Barionet, which the driver already makes available.

Anyway, just making sure everyone knows about this in case they are interested.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
The Barix Barionet uses Modbus over TCP doesn't it? I know there has been some talk of a modbus driver for CQC but isn't the Barix driver already taking care of that? Would it be difficult to modify it and allow the user to specify which registers to read from/write to?
Squiddy Wrote:The Barix Barionet uses Modbus over TCP doesn't it?

I dunno.

Quote:I know there has been some talk of a modbus driver for CQC but isn't the Barix driver already taking care of that?

It would seem maybe so, but I'm not sure.

Quote:Would it be difficult to modify it and allow the user to specify which registers to read from/write to?

How do you mean exactly? You can indicate how many registers you want it to support. Does that require that you be able to select just specific ones? Can you control which ports the DataNab firmware stuff uses? I'd hope you could, to avoid clashing with something else. If so, you could just arrange them all down in the lower number ports, to only use as many as required.
Dean Roddey
Who wrote the Barix Barionet driver for CQC?

From the Barix Website:

Quote:The programmable telecontroller device Barionet and its accessories communicate in Modbus with each other, to outside systems they can be connected via standard interfaces (SNMP, CGI, HTTP, Modbus/TCP). They are ideal for automation and monitoring applications in buildings, industry and IT systems.

What I am saying is that if CQC already supports the Barionet (assuming that it is indeed talking Modbus) then would it be difficult to modify that driver for use as a generic modbus driver so that the end user can specify an address to talk to and a range of modbus registers to read from and and a range to write to?

I would love a modbus driver for CQC so that I can use this modicon PLC I have here. Modbus is a widely used protocol and would definitely be a great addition to CQC.
I wrote the driver. The Barionet just offers a range of virtual IO registers. You load some firmware to support the DataNab modules. I assume when you configure that extra firmware, you tell it to drop the values into some range of virtual I/O registers in the Barionet. You just configure the driver how many of the virtual I/O registers you want to use and it'll map them to CQC fields. So if you mapped those DataNab modules to, say, the first 100 virtual I/O registers, just set up the CQC driver to indicate you want to have fields for 100 virtual I/O registers and it'll create fields for those.

That's how it should work anyway.
Dean Roddey
I am not familar with the Barionet or the DataNab stuff but I assume you are referring to something simlar to the way the I/O Gateway works.

Quote:The Barionet I/O Gateway allows 3rd Party Automation Systems to utilize DataNab's Low Cost I/O Products. The I/O Gateway sends & receives data with the I/O modules via RS485 and creates a virtual memory map that is accessible by other control systems via HTTP, TCP, or ModbusTCP, allowing those systems to remotely read the input values and control the output values.

I am more interested in how CQC talks to the Barionet. Are you using ModbusTCP? I just tried adding the Barix driver an went through the dialogs asking me how many inputs/outputs I have etc. If you are communicating with Modbus, do these dialogs just specify which and how many modbus registers get polled?

What I am looking for is the ablity to specify:

- Which Modbus device address you would like to poll
- How many and which 0xxxx, 1xxxx, 3xxxx and 4xxxx Modbus registers you would like to poll
- How many and which 0xxxx and 4xxx Modbus registers you would like to write to

Does this make sense? I could be wrong but if you are already using Modbus TCP between CQC and the Barix Barionet, then it looks like it shouldn`t be too bad to have another driver that is generic for other modbus devices. Unfortunately I don`t know anything about the drivers or where to start modifying otherwise I would take a look at it.

Even if you were just able to poll or write to a block of 4xxxx Modbus registers, then I could move everything I needed inside the PLC to that block.
CQC talks to the Barionet via regular TCP/IP over ethernet, AFAIK.

Quote:- Which Modbus device address you would like to poll
- How many and which 0xxxx, 1xxxx, 3xxxx and 4xxxx Modbus registers you would like to poll
- How many and which 0xxxx and 4xxx Modbus registers you would like to write to

That would be completely up to how the software that runs on the Barionet works. They will, I assume, provide you some way to map devices to virtual registers in the Barionet. Once you've done that, you know how many virtual registers you need. CQC doesn't know anything about the DataNab stuff. It just knows that the Barionet provides virtual IO registers it can read/write.
Dean Roddey
Can someone else chime in on the protocol that the Barionet is using? As far as I can tell, it must be talking ModbusTCP. Dean, are you talking directly to the Barionet with CQC or is CQC talking through a driver or something installed in Windows? If you are talking directly to the Barionet and it is talking Modbus, you must have had to fill in the modbus addresses that it shows in the manual at some point.

You would not need the Barionet to talk to a PLC with Modbus. I was hoping that since it was already being done with the Barionet, a CQC driver could be written that would talk Modbus to any Modbus enabled device over ethernet or serial.
No idea here man, you guys have lost me. But thanks for making this thread such a success! :-D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another SMS Driver - SMS Global, one for everyone else znelbok 21 5,286 10-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Vantage Controls Driver for Infusion System KenC 1 47 10-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Monoprice Blackbird 4x4 HDMI Switcher - Driver request batwater 9 4,123 10-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  XBMC Driver wuench 419 110,552 07-02-2017, 11:04 AM
  IMAP Email Driver whozeawhat 11 1,743 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: whozeawhat
  Which JVC Projector Driver indygreg 29 5,202 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
  Amazon Echo Hue Simulator Driver wuench 101 20,551 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
  SageTV Player V2 Driver chmilar 6 1,399 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: chmilar
  SageTV Driver George M 16 2,630 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM