Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To: Modify Scheduled Events from the IV
gacevich Wrote:ivb, i took the time to setup control of scheduled events the old way (via variables driver) and just noticed that u changed to this method. this seems to be a cleaner, "dean approved" method. other than elegance, is there any reason to convert the logic in my already working templates to this new logic?

The new way makes it easier to do:
1) Pick which days an event runs
2) pause/resume via front-end, versus using an 'active' variable. Makes it a little simpler if I pull up the AI to see which events are running and which aren't.

If those aren't important to you, then it ain't broke, so don't fix it :-)
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:The new way makes it easier to do:
If those aren't important to you, then it ain't broke, so don't fix it :-)
it ain't broke :-)
I used this walk-through to create a screen for my wakeup alarm that had been working great. Somewhere along the way to 3.1 though it's gotten messed up - if i change the time, it gets all out of whack, something to do with the "scheduled event time" vs. "run event at"...

Before i really dig into it, is there anything obvious that's changed from when this was written that I should watch out for?
i didn't have any difficulties when upgrading to v3.1
SamVimes2 Wrote:I used this walk-through to create a screen for my wakeup alarm that had been working great. Somewhere along the way to 3.1 though it's gotten messed up - if i change the time, it gets all out of whack, something to do with the "scheduled event time" vs. "run event at"...

Before i really dig into it, is there anything obvious that's changed from when this was written that I should watch out for?

There were some problems with this back during the mid-part of the pre-3.0 betas. But I'd assume if it happened there you'd have long since noticed it, right?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
It's been happening for a while, just risen to the top of the priority list now, as I don't actually change the time very much.
Yeh, you might have gotten whacked during the betas. I caught it and told anyone who'd gotten that one to go back and skip that beta, but you might not have.

So what exactly is happening to you?
Dean Roddey
It seems like any change weirdly affects the 'Start Event At' (which i thought was only a 1-time thing?) so that the event doesn't fire when expected.
The start time is used for a couple things.

For most of them the next time it's going to run, though when you initially set up the event it can be used to delay the processing of the event for some time. I.e. you might want it to way two days before it starts, after you leave for vacation or something.

For one shots, it the literal time to run it, once.

For sunrise/sunset it's just used if you want to delay the start of the event being processed, since the run time it controlled by the sunrise/sunset times.

But, for all but the one shots, each time the event runs, the start at will be updated to the next time it could run.
Dean Roddey
So, just to follow up, if you created a once a day type event, you could set up the start time to two days from now as the earliest it could start. When you save it, the start time will be updated to calculate the actual next time it could run, i.e. the actual start time, which will be different based on the actual type of event and how it calculates the next time to run. When the event runs the next time, the start time will be updated to the next time it could possibly run, and so on.

Only for the one shot is the start taken literally and kept as is.

Maybe it would be better if it were called 'next possible start time' or something like that.
Dean Roddey