Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.Net RIVA Client
OK, this isn't third party code, but it's intended in part to help other folks see a working implementation, in .Net in this case. I'll let Mark 'splain all of this and how to use it.
[URL="http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/../Web2/Downloads/Installers/DNetRIVA/RIVA.NetClient_Installers_1.5B1.zip"]
[/URL].Net RIVA Client Installers 1.7B1 (http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa..._1.7B1.zip)
[URL="http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloads/Installers/DNetRIVA/Riva.NetClient_DevelopmentTree_1.7B1"]
[/URL].Net RIVA Client Source Code 1.7B1 (http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa..._1.7B1.zip)

I've posted a link to the installer in the TryIt page.

[Edit] Updated to V1.2B1
[Edit] Updated to V1.3B1
[Edit] Updated to V1.4B1
[Edit] Updated to V1.5B1
[Edit] Fixed broken link, added installer link
[Edit] Updated to V1.6B1
[Edit] Updated to V1.7B1
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
If you are a developer it is pretty standard stuff. This is a VS2008 project tree with the solution at the top level and called RemoteInterfaceVewer. The only 'trick' is that each directory that contains source for a DLL is built twice, once for the full framework, once for the compact. I use two defined symbols for those few places where the implementation differs (FullFramework & CompactFramework) which you will see in #if statements.

Feel free to ask any questions.

[Edit] I'll keep the link in the first post up to date so it is pointing at the most recent code tree.
Mark Stega
I've installed the new RIVA on my iPaq, but no joy.

Completed installation of CF3.5 (It no has CF1.0, 2.0 and 3.5).
Completed installation of RIVA, and updated config with my MS's IP.

Get this error when I fire it up. Doesn't appear to say a lot unfortunately.

Quote:An unexpected error has occurred in RIVA.NetClientCF.exe.
Select Quit and then restart this program, or select Details for more information.

File or assembly name 'MessageFrameworkCF, Version=1.0.3435.22590, Culture =neutral, PublikKeyToken=null', or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Pressing details gives me:
Quote:RIVA.ClientCF.exe
TypeLoadException
File or assembly name 'MessageFrameworkCF, Version=1.0.3435.22590, Culture =neutral, PublikKeyToken=null', or one of its dependencies, was not found.
Not too much luck with the desktop client either. I am running on Window 7 64bit though, so that may throw a spanner in the works.

When I fire up the RIVA.NetClientFF.exe, I get a configuration dialog box (even though the XML config exist, and appears to me to be valid). I get a 10s countdown timer on the cancel button before the window closes and get the Windows dialog "RIVA.NetClientFF.Exe has stopped working."

Same thing happens if I click OK or Cancel. And I don't get enough time to fill out the configuration before the countdown cancels for me!
froop Wrote:I've installed the new RIVA on my iPaq, but no joy.

Completed installation of CF3.5 (It no has CF1.0, 2.0 and 3.5).
Completed installation of RIVA, and updated config with my MS's IP.

Get this error when I fire it up. Doesn't appear to say a lot unfortunately.

Pressing details gives me:

Can you browse to the installation directory and see that the dll "MessageFrameworkCF.dll" was in fact installed?

The directory should contain:

click.wav
cqcdefinitionscf.dll
graphicframeworkcf.dll
logonutilitycf.dll
messageframeworkcf.dll
RIVA.NetClientCF.config
RIVA.NetClientCF.exe
RIVA.NetClientCF.ico
securityframeworkcf.dll
systemframeworkcf.dll

The installation has been completed on at least one other iPaq without an error.

[Edit] I just tried the installer (I usually let the development environment do the deployment) on my Viewsonic V37 and it correctly installed everything and the client runs correctly. You might want to check the logs of the 3.5 framework installation and see if there were errors.
Mark Stega
froop Wrote:Not too much luck with the desktop client either. I am running on Window 7 64bit though, so that may throw a spanner in the works.

When I fire up the RIVA.NetClientFF.exe, I get a configuration dialog box (even though the XML config exist, and appears to me to be valid). I get a 10s countdown timer on the cancel button before the window closes and get the Windows dialog "RIVA.NetClientFF.Exe has stopped working."

Same thing happens if I click OK or Cancel. And I don't get enough time to fill out the configuration before the countdown cancels for me!

Per the release notes, you have to make a mouse move on the dialog to cancel the countdown timer if you actually want to use the configuration dialog. It will be showing the content derived from the XML file and will write back to the XML file if you press 'ok'.

It certainly was never tested on Windows 7 64 bit; It works fine on Windows Vista 32 bit so I think you have an incompatibility with Windows 7 or the 64 bit thing.
Mark Stega
Mark Stega Wrote:Can you browse to the installation directory and see that the dll "MessageFrameworkCF.dll" was in fact installed?

Hmm.. I only have:
click.wav
RIVA.NetClientCF.config
RIVA.NetClientCF.exe
RIVA.NetClientCF.ico

Will try and reinstall the CAB and see what happens.
On my desktop all the files were installed
Mark Stega Wrote:Per the release notes, you have to make a mouse move on the dialog to cancel the countdown timer if you actually want to use the configuration dialog. It will be showing the content derived from the XML file and will write back to the XML file if you press 'ok'.

Aah. It's only mentioned right down the bottom of the release notes, in the Bugs/Features section. So I clicked on the form, countdown stopped and I could enter values in.

But when I fire it up, all the fields are blank. Not prepopulated with the defaults, nor populated with existing values from the XML.

I'm getting a little closer.
About 50% of the time, the config program crashes half way through me entering the data. Other times it gets through ok.

When I do get through, I get the "Attempting login using supplied credentials", with an error of:
Quote:Error in login using defined strings -
System.Exception: Failed to open VIEW socket.

I've checked the MS host, and that the view and image ports are set up properly on the MS and on the client. Also double checked the user and password, and setup the user's default template with one that matches the resolution that I specified in the config.

Anything else I may be missing before I put it in the its-64bit's-fault bucket?
froop Wrote:Hmm.. I only have:
click.wav
RIVA.NetClientCF.config
RIVA.NetClientCF.exe
RIVA.NetClientCF.ico

Will try and reinstall the CAB and see what happens.
On my desktop all the files were installed

Are you looking from a desktop explorer or the device? If the device, the explorer has an annoying feature of filtering files. You have to hold a stylus tap until the context menu appears and then you can pick "view all files".

If the view was from a desktop explorer looking at the installation directory, then something went wrong with the installation of the CAB.

I presume you just copied it to the device and executed it, right?
Mark Stega
Quote:Anything else I may be missing before I put it in the its-64bit's-fault bucket?
The empty dialog, the crash, and then the failure to run says to me it is either Windows 7 or 64 bit, either is a candidate.
Mark Stega

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Html 5 Riva potts.mike 9 5,627 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: bjkiller
  Thinking about the next step in RIVA Dean Roddey 6 5,003 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  Official RIVA thread Dean Roddey 382 79,650 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Fonceur
  Windows Phone Client - whats the option here znelbok 3 7,708 05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dangerlong
  Transparent images in RIVA? SamVimes2 36 21,849 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  riva burkepaol4 1 6,295 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
  Riva screen blanker on CF.NET froop 3 5,460 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Last Post: froop
  RIVA Connection batwater 6 5,072 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: batwater
  web client (html/ajax) bjkiller 9 5,122 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM
  Java based RIVA Client? batwater 10 7,020 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM