Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How-To Setup SMTP with SSL using stunnel
IVB Wrote:Strange, same exact reply from Comcast. I wonder if this is PBKAC...

Hmmm...

Are you seeing anything in the stunnel console? There should be 4 log entries per email transaction:

2013.02.01 17:32:15 LOG5[3712:2608]: Service [gmail-smtp] accepted connection from 192.168.1.3:49934
2013.02.01 17:32:15 LOG5[3712:2608]: connect_blocking: connected 74.125.133.109:465
2013.02.01 17:32:15 LOG5[3712:2608]: Service [gmail-smtp] connected remote server from 192.168.1.17:62271
2013.02.01 17:32:16 LOG5[3712:2608]: Connection closed: 361 byte(s) sent to SSL, 481 byte(s) sent to socket

-Ben
Got it working. PBKAC.

Put 465 in the CQC port, not 5000. Took me getting the same error on Comcast to realize that I wasn't putting 2+2 together, that CQC talks to stunnel, stunnel talks to email.

PBKAC. And not the first time today either.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
This How-To was great! Comcast finally started blocking Port 25 after threatening to do so for a year or two, so my Elk e-mail notifications went by the wayside. I never could get Port 587 to work with Comcast. The setup in the Elk M1XEP was cumbersome anyway, and it probably took 10 minutes to download stunnel and configure it to start sending out e-mail notification using triggered events within CQC.
Just a follow up note on this if you are upgrading to Windows 7. Whereas the server name "localhost" would work under WinXP in the Email Accounts on the Admin Interface, it won't work when you upgrade. I was getting the timeout error. Once I put the IP address of my server in that entry, it started working again.
kblagron Wrote:Just a follow up note on this if you are upgrading to Windows 7. Whereas the server name "localhost" would work under WinXP in the Email Accounts on the Admin Interface, it won't work when you upgrade. I was getting the timeout error. Once I put the IP address of my server in that entry, it started working again.

My GMail/STunnel setup stopped working a few days ago and I haven't been able to figure out what happened yet. Maybe an update arrived that broke something somewhere... not sure.

I am using 'localhost' so I'll try it without and see if that has any effect.
jkish Wrote:My GMail/STunnel setup stopped working a few days ago and I haven't been able to figure out what happened yet. Maybe an update arrived that broke something somewhere... not sure.

I am using 'localhost' so I'll try it without and see if that has any effect.

Google had a massive outage a few days ago, you sure it wasn't a timing coincidence on your issue? I'm on 4.4.2c on a Windows 7 machine that is patched with the latest MS updates and I'm not having an issue with gmail/stunnel v4.54. (just set myself a message) I do not use localhost, entered the IP address where stunnel is running which also happens to be the CQC master server.

-Ben
batwater Wrote:Google had a massive outage a few days ago, you sure it wasn't a timing coincidence on your issue? I'm on 4.4.2c on a Windows 7 machine that is patched with the latest MS updates and I'm not having an issue with gmail/stunnel v4.54. (just set myself a message) I do not use localhost, entered the IP address where stunnel is running which also happens to be the CQC master server.

-Ben

Thanks for the info.

I was aware of the gmail outage and at first thought that was the problem, but the issue still persists. Around the same time, I had a failed iTunes upgrade that may have left some thing screwed up.

I reinstalled iTunes and tried changing from localhost to the master server IP address, but neither of those things seemed to help.

Next, I guess I will try to reinstall stunnel.
jkish Wrote:Thanks for the info.

I was aware of the gmail outage and at first thought that was the problem, but the issue still persists. Around the same time, I had a failed iTunes upgrade that may have left some thing screwed up.

I reinstalled iTunes and tried changing from localhost to the master server IP address, but neither of those things seemed to help.

Next, I guess I will try to reinstall stunnel.

Did you restart the stunnel service or force a reload from the GUI after upgrading the config file? I know it's a basic question, but that one messed me up when I was first configuring the service.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to setup the Weather Channel data feed driver. beelzerob 3 12,293 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey