Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of this section
This section is for people to post How-To threads to describe how to do something that's not covered in the documentation, usually involving setting up external systems that CQC would interact with and things of that nature.

This is a moderated section. Your new thread will not show up until it is approved. You can post to existing threads without approval.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean,

I'd like to see only the original "How To" posts on this forum. I think this forum will work better if the discussion is held on a separate thread so the "How To" threads don't get all jammed up.

The original poster should include a link to the discussion thread in their "How To" thread.

I realize this would have to be policed a little, but it should be easy enough to move discussion to the correct thread. After a few threads have been started, it should be pretty apparent to people that discussion is not allowed on the "How To" threads.

Just my 2 cents (but don't discuss it here :-) ).
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Well, I don't think there's a problem with discussion occuring in a how-to thread, as I'm sure some people following the how-to will find missing info or outdated steps. As long as the discussion really is about the how-to, then it'd be good feedback from people trying to follow the steps. And then the original poster can update their first post if needed.
Also, since the how-to is always going to be at the top, the discussion won't actually clutter people's mind unless they wish it to. In all I'm indifferent to the top approaches.

I do have one request though. Can the how-to forum be set to not archive things? This way people can scroll through all the how-tos even if they are a year old without having to search for them.

Target
Target Wrote:I do have one request though. Can the how-to forum be set to not archive things? This way people can scroll through all the how-tos even if they are a year old without having to search for them.

Target

None of the forums "archive", they just have different default "display for last <n> months" settings. I.E., the user systems forum has a default of "last 2 months", but I noticed this one is set to "since beginning". Hence, I think your goal will be accomplished.

For any forums that have a last 2 months setting, you can still scroll through them by changing the desired length at the bottom of the screen.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
That is excellent to know.

Thanks,

Target