Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
opinions on SageTv
My original plan was to build a new HTPC/Server to play ripped DVDs and other media, and just use my DirecTV HR20 receivers for recording TV. I've been reading lots of good things about the Sage HD extenders. My thought is I could ditch the matrix switch plan and just get extenders for my 3 video zones. The reason I wanted the matrix was to share the DVRs and ripped media - I'm not sure what else I would need it for, other than maybe Blu-Ray playback from my PS3.

So, how much better is Sage for TV than just using the DirecTV boxes? Is it worth the investment to move to a Sage system? I could use my existing server, but I would need 3 extenders ($600), HDHomerun or similar ($180), possibly the Hauppauge HD-PVR ($250), along with the Sage software. I am willing to spend the money if it is really worth it. Anyone with Sage experience I would love to hear some of your thoughts. Thanks
SageTV is a good product and I tried it but had issues with the quality of the recordings due to the hardware I was using. I am sure if I bought better hardware it would have worked better. Next I had a issue with channel changing, I did not like the idea of sage controlling my cablebox via IR, a little slow and sometimes got out of sync. What I ended up doing instead of investing more in hardware for Sage was getting a TivoHD instead. I then changed the SageTV over to TheaterTek for video playback controlled by CQC.
If the choice is DirecTV HD-PVRs versus SageTV, I think the biggest question is how many different TVs would be used for playback.

If I understand correctly, you cannot network the HD-PVRs so that you can setup a recording schedule in only one location - each one has to have be setup seperately. It's not really a client/server setup like SageTV where you setup your favorites in one location, and playback anywhere. MUCH easier to use, especially when you have a multi-user household.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I just replaced my HTPC with a SageTV HD Extender and it works so well that I bought a second HD Extender for another room. I only use SageTV for ripped DVD playback and online video podcasts. I still use four DirecTV HR20 DVRs for TV use.
IVB Wrote:If the choice is DirecTV HD-PVRs versus SageTV, I think the biggest question is how many different TVs would be used for playback.

If I understand correctly, you cannot network the HD-PVRs so that you can setup a recording schedule in only one location - each one has to have be setup seperately. It's not really a client/server setup like SageTV where you setup your favorites in one location, and playback anywhere. MUCH easier to use, especially when you have a multi-user household.

I will initially have 3 TVs, probably 5 or so within a couple of years. I definitely like the idea of a centralized recording location - and basically unlimited storage. My inital thought with the matrix setup would be just to designate one of the HR20s for recording (stick a large external drive on it). That way we could view our recordings in any room, and use other receivers for normal TV viewing. That's one of the biggest complaints the wife has at the moment - she wants to be able to view the recordings on any TV. The HR20/21 DVRs were awful when they first came out, but they seem more stable now, although the software could still be improved a lot. If the Sage software was that much better, I would consider making the switch. As far as DVD playback goes, how is the Sage interface? As good as something that can be created with CQC/TT/DVDProfiler?
jleach8 Wrote:As far as DVD playback goes, how is the Sage interface? As good as something that can be created with CQC/TT/DVDProfiler?
I was thinking about messing with this also. I think the advantage would be to be able to view the repository on the TV instead of having a Touch Screen. This would be a plus in my house because it is bad enough with the kids "miss placing" the remotes, I do not want my Q1 lost or damaged.
jleach8 Wrote:As far as DVD playback goes, how is the Sage interface? As good as something that can be created with CQC/TT/DVDProfiler?

It's definitely not as good as custom creation via CQC. It's not even really close, especially if you use a mouse or touchscreen with CQC.

Here's the SageMC skin, which is as good as it gets. I use the stock skin, mainly because the wife has been using that for 5 years now as she's used to it. I setup SageMC, and it just confused her because it was different, so my layout is a bit harder.

The big thing to point out here is that you don't see anything but the DVD stuff here - no stereo controls, no lighting, nothing.
[Image: videolib_folders_k52.jpg]
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
You have caught my attention and I have a few questions (excuse my ignorance please)

So what I want is a centralised recording device (in the rack next to the server), dual tuner (DVB-T), no DVD required and EPG.

I want media extenders that can play just about anything across the network. I do this at the moment with the XBOX and XBMC, playing DVD's topfield recordings (its a PVR), DIVX etc, MP3's and just about anything else.

I see that sage have HD media extenders. Can everything be done from them, such as setting up show to be recorded. I want the rack mount HTPC to be headless (maybe the occasion RDP session for what ever reason).

Currently my PVR has a program that downloads the epg data, searches through my list of shows and finds them in the epg data and creates timers so they all get recorded - that way I never miss a show.

Can sage do all of this?

Beyonwiz make an STB that is capable of most of this, with matching STB that can play files from one box on another and from files on a PC. Sage may be a little more popular and customisable.

Mick
Anything that can be done on the Sage server can be done on the client or extender as the same UI is rendered in either location.

Sage allows you to set favorites, and whether you want to record all episodes/first-runs-only, on specific channels/etc. It's pretty robust. I have 42 favorites (well, me/wife/kids), but I have zero idea what day they're even on as I haven't wached live TV in nearly 5 years. I just see what's been recorded already. It also does a great job in reconciling collisions, in case two favorites are on at the same time.
IVB Wrote:The big thing to point out here is that you don't see anything but the DVD stuff here - no stereo controls, no lighting, nothing.

Good point about the lack of other controls. Seems like a decent interface though. So are you using the Sage interface to browse DVDs and then controlling everything else (volume, lighting, etc) via CQC?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonos Opinions zra 51 5,127 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  SageTV Going Open Source - WooHoo! batwater 1 896 03-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  DTS convertor for SageTV HD Extender bjkiller 4 1,549 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Last Post: bjkiller
  opinions on IR blasting reception potts.mike 5 954 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Talk about SageTV Squintz 6 1,084 08-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Can CQC Relay command from SageTV to STB? MavRic 5 1,762 07-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Last Post: MavRic
  Rack mounmt UPS for CQC / SageTV server MavRic 4 885 07-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  SageTV is offering $20 off HD Theater or $25 off combo price of HD Theater & Software sic0048 0 790 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Sniff. Collapsing Economy = F.I.L. wants me to build them a SageTV system IVB 23 2,161 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM
  Expanded BluRay support by SageTV IVB 0 805 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM