Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 2.5 Beta Thread
Request: Seperate, non-modal window to browse drivers & fields, so I can view it and setup events at the same time.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Quote:When picking a field when creating an event, only show the fields that you have set a trigger on or distinguish them (e.g. make them bold or make non-triggered fields italics). It is too easy to pick a field and then forget you haven't actually set up a trigger on that field and wonder why things aren't working.

Yeh, that's a good idea.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Quote:Request: Seperate, non-modal window to browse drivers & fields, so I can view it and setup events at the same time.

Yeh, those are nice in general. They are just more complex in general as well, so I've only done some that way so far. But it would be useful.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Yeh, those are nice in general. They are just more complex in general as well, so I've only done some that way so far. But it would be useful.

You could have a seperate application for it, if that would be simpler.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Yeh, that's true. We were looking at creating a tray app that includes the app control server and service control and some status info. I guess it could also allow for field browsing so that it's always there. Of course that's a security problem. It would need to make you log on before you do certain things, or you'd have to configure a user account for it to use and just take the risk that anyone walking up to the machine could do anything they wanted.
Dean Roddey
Dean, Is there some way to trigger a set of CQC events from when a script or similar file executes? Most APC ups have the ability to call a shutdown script when the power is out for some length of time. After looking at what passes for a protocol on these things something like this may be the easiest solution when all you want is for CQC to shut some things down.
Les
It would have to be done via the XML Gateway, which might be more trouble than it's worth. I could do a little command program that will do something like that, that you could call. But the problem is that any such program becomes a security issue. In order to be useful it has to be able to take what you want it to do on the command line, which means that anyone that had access to your network could run it and make things happen, unless it requires login. If it requires login, then it has to have an administrative password probably because of what it would allow to happen, which means you'd have to have an admin password configured in some script that anyone could possibly see.

So it always becomes kind of hard to deal with in a way that is safe yet useful. Really the only way that it probably would meet both criteria is that if there were special events, or events could be marked as runnable by even a limited user, so that those could legally be invoked by such a problem and you could just proivde it with a limited user name/password, which wouldn't be a potential security problem.
Dean Roddey
Feature Request:
It would be nice to be able to leave the Template File Open Window open in the IE at all times. I am always jumping from template to template and this would be easier then going to File|Open each time, It would then keep my place in the massive list that I have of templates instead of starting from the beginning each time.
That's a lot tricker in a networked product, because the list could change any time via activity at another client.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:It would have to be done via the XML Gateway, which might be more trouble than it's worth. I could do a little command program that will do something like that, that you could call. But the problem is that any such program becomes a security issue. In order to be useful it has to be able to take what you want it to do on the command line, which means that anyone that had access to your network could run it and make things happen, unless it requires login. If it requires login, then it has to have an administrative password probably because of what it would allow to happen, which means you'd have to have an admin password configured in some script that anyone could possibly see.

So it always becomes kind of hard to deal with in a way that is safe yet useful. Really the only way that it probably would meet both criteria is that if there were special events, or events could be marked as runnable by even a limited user, so that those could legally be invoked by such a problem and you could just proivde it with a limited user name/password, which wouldn't be a potential security problem.

If it has to run over XML gateway and be a real PITA to keep functional don't worry about it. Internal security isn't an issue CQC wise and if someone has access to my network from the outside I have bigger problems anyway.

Since all I'm really looking to do is shut the PJ down in event of a power failure I can just do it the low tech way. Hopefully doing something manually won't get me barred from the site. :roll:
Les

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 40,418 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,299 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 151,112 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 7,898 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 87,586 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 8,797 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 196,384 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,444 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 488,966 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 13,266 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM