Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ipod Project
Howdy all,

There is another thread here concerning the possibility of turning the ipod touch/iphone into a remote for CQC. I believe that the general consensus is that it is possible, but difficult. Perhaps as difficult as a full year worth of programming. If people are interested in starting a project on basecamp, and seriously trying to figure this out, I would be willing to put both time and monetary recourses into it.

There are a variety of different people with different skills and means on these forums, so if this interests you, please post here with whether this interests you, and how you might be willing to help; be it a $10 donation, or 10 hours/week in programming.

Target
Can you do a sales pitch to me and the rest of us. I'm not very familiar with IPod or IPhone products but that does not mean that I won't support such a project.

How will this interface work? What language would it be written in? What is the game plan?
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
If we get enough people to get the project off the ground then we should apply for some support from the IFund.

http://www.kpcb.com/initiatives/ifund/index.html
David
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
I would love to apply, but I have a feeling they are already saturated with HA stuff. One group has already gotten a significant grant to use the ipod touch as a HA remote.

As to the sales pitch, I'm going to do some more research on exactly how it would be done. Although I can do a bit of programming, a project of this magnitude is a bit out of my level. However, I am fairly good at managing projects.

What I envision is a fully featured IV running on the ipod touch. With enough work, I would imagine that it could take advantage of such features as cover flow and the accelerometer. If you read the other iphone thread, many of the possible difficulties have been discussed. I'll try to summarize them here later tonight.

I'll take a look into the ifund, however I will need a much more polished idea and business plan before a VC will look at a project.

Target
it would need to be written in Xcode, which is an objective c language, using apples free developer tools and an intel mac.
Just a few off the cuff thoughts on this:

What if you built this such that the interface between the iPhone/iPod and the server was very generic - maybe not even (flamesuit on) CQC centric?

The server side could have some sort of a plugin interface to translate between the generic protocol and the specific cqc drivers that need to be queried / controlled. That would avoid some of the issues around naming fields, templates, devices, etc.

An extensible client would transmit commands to the generic server component which would convert the generic commands via a plugin component to specific CQC commands. This then could be routed through the XML gateway to talk to the CQC server. The plugin on the server side could be modified by users to conform to their own system conventions and configuration.

If you were looking for VC, having a more general solution and possibly new product for CQ might be more interesting.
I'm with jkish. A more generic IV sounds like a better plan.

I will volunteer my time. I'd be willing to pick up one of these Idevices for beta testing and I could also help do documentiation. My programming skills are limited so I would pitch in where I could but chances are it would be mainly for troubleshooting.
David
I would be willing to donate monetarily. I am trying to get a friend of mine interested in programming for us. He is just completing his first iPhone app so has some experience.
This sort of interest is great. I'm in the early stages or obtaining VC for a CQC related project, and I would be willing to foot a good portion of the programming bill if things fall into place properly both here, and on my end (the latter is a pretty big if still).

Target
If all we needed was some limited IV, would it be an iPhone app or could this be on the CQC side to deliver web access that is very limited.

If we took the later approach we would not only open iPhone up, but also some very inexpensive Linux boxes for touchscreens. Even if the CQC server machine needed to be more robust to serve web pages, all the other devices could become very small.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mozilla iOT - Project Things znelbok 1 912 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  So, I have been thinking, and that hurt a little bit, my next uControl/CQC project... SomeWhatLost 30 4,174 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  serial cable for ipad/ipod znelbok 3 1,563 12-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Can CQC Repository songs be transfered to an IPod? kayemsi 5 875 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Iphone/ipod touch IV development potts.mike 44 4,088 04-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  More research on IPOD control and a video Ripper 39 5,783 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Good non-iTunes sw to manage iPod? IVB 4 1,042 12-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Last Post: bmackrell
  Question for ipod users wolverines 21 2,066 08-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Getting Songs off a Ipod? penngray 1 830 06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Last Post: penngray
  Looking to start HA project...need help! jflo 11 2,306 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Last Post: jflo