Poll: What player device are you using with this driver?
This poll is closed.
Logitech Duet
22.95%
14 22.95%
Logitech SqueezeBox
32.79%
20 32.79%
SlimDevices Transporter
4.92%
3 4.92%
SoftSqueeze
39.34%
24 39.34%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Logitech SqueezeCenter Media Renderer Driver
This thread is being closed, and a new one has been started here:

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=9225

This driver provides a CQC media renderer driver for the Logitech SqueezeCenter server and players. It is compatible with the new Duet network music player, the free software SoftSqueeze player as well as the original Squeezebox and SLIMP3 players.

This driver provides the following functionality:
  • Full control over SlimDevices including the Duet, Squeezebox, SoftSqueeze and the Transporter
  • Bidirectional communication to SqueezeCenter for real-time status and control
  • Integration with CQC for media rendering (including playlist and cover art widgets)
  • Support for the SqueezeNetwork services such as Slacker, Live365, Shoutcast, Pandora, Sirius and others.
Quirks and Limitations

SqueezeCenter provides its own media repository that is separate and distinct from CQC. It is not necessary to set up the SqueezeCenter media repository as CQC will provide all the information to the SqueezeCenter as required for playing media that has been imported into CQC.

Connection Details

Upon installation the driver will ask for the hostname of the SqueezeCenter and the name or ID of the network player it will be managing. If you have multiple network player devices you will need to load this driver multiple times, once for each of the network player devices you wish to manage. Once the driver connects it will communicate with SqueezeCenter for the display and status information for the designated player.

Changes

This driver has been completely rewritten, many of the fields have changed since the original driver or been deprecated.

How to use the SqueezeNetwork (SN_) fields

The driver surfaces the various online music services through fields prefixed with "SN_". For example, "SN_Pandora".

1. Before you can use these services through the driver you should ensure they work correctly from the SqueezeCenter web interface.
  2. The driver fields are initially empty, this is by design. To load the contents you should use the "RefreshList" driver field.
  3. You can surface the list in the Interface Viewer by using a vertical list widget. Note that the driver limits the number of rows returned to 100 maximum.
  4. To play a selection from the vertical list browser, use the following action:
    Devices::FieldWrite(DRIVERNAME.PlayMedia, pandora:%(IntfRTV:ListItemText))
  5. You should replace the word "pandora" in the action with the name of the SqueezeNetwork service you are displaying in the list widget.
  6. To play a SqueezeCenter playlist, use "playlist" in the action, or "favorite" to play a SqueezeCenter favorite.

Many updates to this driver have been posted by jkish, please check the end of the thread for the latest!
Question: If I were to have several network devices, can they go into "party mode" where they all play the same thing? it would be cool if they could, but I could imaging the timing and synchronization would be hard.

If the devices can do it, does the driver support it?
Aparently one of the features introduced with SN 7.0 is perfect sync between different network players, so it should be supportable through Jonathan's driver.
bph Wrote:Question: If I were to have several network devices, can they go into "party mode" where they all play the same thing? it would be cool if they could, but I could imaging the timing and synchronization would be hard.

If the devices can do it, does the driver support it?
Yes, if you are using one of the hardware players (SqueezeBox or Duet) then they support the new synchronization introduced in SC7 which is much improved over the old version. As with the old sync code, the players are re-sync'd at the start of each track however the new code then tracks the latency on each player during the track playback too and does micro-adjustments to keep them in sync.

The driver has a "SyncMaster" field so you can set via CQC the slaves to the master by just writing to this field on all the slaves, to remove a player from the sync group, write an empty string (or a dash '-') to the field :-)
Jonathan Wrote:Yes,... :-)

If I had any money, this would definately be a system to look at.
Hey Jonathan

I just installed the new driver and have a few quick questions for you:

1. The CurYear field displays with a comma - 2,008 instead of 2008 - using a Dynamic Text widget. Is there a way to make the comma go away.
  2. The PlaylistRepeat field is now gone. Is it coming back or not available in the new driver?
  3. The PlaylistItems field is now gone. Is it coming back or not available in the new driver?
  4. What is the syntax to play a slimserver playlist? I tried "Devices::FieldWrite(DRIVERNAME.PlayMedia, playlist:%(IntfRTV:ListItemText))" and it didn't work.
Thanks for your help.

Joe
Quote:The CurYear field displays with a comma - 2,008 instead of 2008 - using a Dynamic Text widget. Is there a way to make the comma go away.

Use a Numeric Text widget.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Good questions. The fundamental difference in this driver is that it is meant to integrate with CQC and translate that standard into an equivalent for the player. Some things may be an adjustment, some things I may need to change :-)

The PlaylistRepeat (and shuffle) are no longer surfaced because the repeat and shuffle modes are controlled by the CQC PlaylistMode field and are automatically set each time CQC starts playing. They are:
  • Normal. The player moves to the next item in the list when it completes the current one, and wraps around when it hits the end (translated this means repeat mode is on)
  • Jukebox. The player moves to the next item in the list when it completes the current one, but it removes each item as it plays it (translated this means repeat mode is off and we remove the old playlist items after they complete from the player)
  • Shuffle. The player selects the next item to play randomly, continuously playing from the current playlist (translated means repeat mode is on, shuffle mode is effectively on)
I didn't surface the individual fields because I thought that would be confusing although I could surface them as read only fields I guess.

I didn't surface the old PlaylistItems field because CQC is managing the playlist control and will show that using the native widget if you are using CQC playlists from the CQC media repository of course. I can see that if you are not using CQC playlists this might be an issue but I also think having multiple "playlists" is confusing too. Decisions decisions...

If you want to play a SqueezeCenter playlist you use "playlists:" (it is plural) as the prefix. As I said, it won't show up the native widget because I have no way to push tracks to that from CML as they don't have a cookie.

Ideally, in the future Dean would provide CML with the capability of providing the media repository as I can read all the needed information from SqueezeCenter including cover art and generating cookies ;-)
Jonathan Wrote:Ideally, in the future Dean would provide CML with the capability of providing the media repository as I can read all the needed information from SqueezeCenter including cover art and generating cookies ;-)

Yes please!!!
One of these days. I keep holding off because once we expose that, it'll become very hard to change the repository architecture. And the fact that I just had to do a major re-work of it si proof that it was good that this hadn't been done yet. If we reach a point where we fell that the interface is mature and flexible enough to live with for the indefinite future, then I'll feel better about exposing that stuff. Maybe it's there now, but we'll have to see how it survives interfacing to Media Center and an iPod and whatnot.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Monoprice Blackbird 4x4 HDMI Switcher - Driver request batwater 9 3,865 10-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  XBMC Driver wuench 419 110,106 07-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  IMAP Email Driver whozeawhat 11 1,671 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: whozeawhat
  Which JVC Projector Driver indygreg 29 5,119 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
  Amazon Echo Hue Simulator Driver wuench 101 20,323 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
  SageTV Player V2 Driver chmilar 6 1,329 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: chmilar
  SageTV Driver George M 16 2,520 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM
  ADA Suite 16 driver assistance zane 3 1,136 01-17-2017, 06:27 AM
Last Post: zane
  Sage Media Server driver (beta) Fonceur 696 116,025 01-06-2017, 05:34 PM
  Need some help with developing a driver adamalli 11 2,161 01-02-2017, 07:00 AM