Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Target's Home Automation Progress
I'll take a look, but I have a feeling ours isn't like that. Man it would be nice though.

Target
I seem to remember reading somewhere that CQC could take a 7.1 sound card and use it to output 4 stereo streams. Am I off base here? I know Nuvo just released a product that does this, so maybe I'm just getting my articles and posts crossed.

Target
You are correct, the embedded audio player can use specific sound card channels, thus having multiple "zones" of audio coming out of 1 PC sound card.

However! I believe that is at least partially dependant on the sound card used, and my chaintech AV-710 does not allow this with zoomplayer (haven't tested with the cqc player). I think sound cards or their windows drivers have to allow this kind of usage first.
I think it is very dependant on the sound card that you use. Most surround sound cards (5.1 or 7.1) cards cannot do this. You have to get a card that is specifically designed to output separate and concurrent streams.

I know the M-Audio Delta 410 and 1010 cards work. I am not sure what other brands work.

I have a Delta 410 card and currently have three separate and concurrent CQC player streams running off the card. It has the ability to do more streams, but I just don't need any more. So I can select three different music albums and play them all at the same time in different locations around my house.

EDIT - you can still find the M-Audio 410 card for sale at the M-Audio site for about $150. But I have bought two in the past off e-bay for a lot less than that.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Anyone know of other cheaper cards that might work? I've seen the Delta 410, but as you said they are $150 new and difficult to find in any sort of quantity on ebay. Would it be possible to write a windows side driver for a very cheap 7.1 surround card that can turn it into a 4 zone stereo card?

Target
I don't know any specific ones offhand....but I'm guessing that if it works with the multi-zone capabilities of J. River or zoomplayer, than it would work wtih cqc...so you might check those forums to see what sound cards those people are using. I know there ARE other sounds cards that do that, but I have no idea what the magic property of it is that allows for it. If it's the windows driver that does it, then good luck on writing a new one of those...it'd be not worth your time (compared to just buying a 410 new).
I believe it is the Windows driver that makes it happen.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Although I'm aware that it might not be worth my time (or anyone's) to write a windows driver for me, it might be worth it to write a windows driver for 100 people. Or 1000 people. Heck, if one could purchase a sound card capable of outputing 4 concurrent streams of audio for $19, that would be pretty fantastic. A refurbished Nuvo Simplese can be had for $500 ($400 without keypads). Hell, with cheap speakers for starters you could have 4 zones of audio in your house for $500. In this situation $150 begins to look like a more significant cost.

Target

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HA Progress 3.0 jkmonroe 184 46,784 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  IVB YouTube Video: Using NFC to start custom car mode or arrive home/leave home tasks IVB 0 777 08-18-2016, 02:28 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Deephaven's Home Automation Journey Deephaven 122 21,146 08-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Deephaven
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,951 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Secret home automation room Zanthic 12 6,634 01-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Zanthic
  home automation and media architecture and interface SamVimes2 0 1,879 06-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 6,545 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 2,401 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Denver Metro Home Automation Meetup! AnthonyZ 5 2,508 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Last Post: AnthonyZ
  Finally some progress froop 3 1,780 07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Last Post: beelzerob