Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Pre-2.4 beta discussion thread
Quote:I would love if there was a way to allow drivers to write outside the MacroFileRoot. I know the risks, I really do. If the driver configuration allowed limitation to the MacroFileRoot (and it'd really make sense to allow narrowing rather than just MacroFileRoot or all) by default, the end user would have to understand the risks of opening up everything.

Yeh, there needs to be some sort of way to provide a driver with permission to access some other area of the disc as the room of the CML file system.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Is there a plan in this round of driver changes to allow a driver to be stopped/restarted? When I say stopped I mean for it to release its resources. An example is when the Nuvo driver is running, you can't run the Nuvo programming utilities so you have to stop all of CQC to release the Com port. A stop/start on the driver dialog would be very useful.
Yeh, that's part of it also.
Dean Roddey
I'm working towards the first beta. It will just include the changes that will prevent the failure of initialization from removing the driver from the system, instead it will continue trying to initialize.

Unfortunately this is one of those worst case types of changes, where the semantics of an interface that's used a lot is changed. So there's no automatic way to figure out if it will break a driver. I'm having to go through every single driver and carefully check it's initialization. There are a good number that were affectively. Some of them that don't know the field count up front will use a vector and just add field ids to it as they are lookedup, but they don't flush the list first. That wasn't a problem before but now it would be a major problem if the init ran twice. And some of the more complex drivers like the CML/PDL engine drivers needed some changes to deal with multiple init invocations.

It'll take me a few more days to go through all of the drivers and do some other testing of forced failure scenarios to make sure that they work correctly.

Any drivers that are currently in development will need to be checked by their writers to make sure that they aren't going to be affected by multiple invocations of their initialization callback.
Dean Roddey
This is a 'potential' problem. I have a few drivers that people wrote for me (some of whom are no longer around) that are not 'official' CQC drivers - but these are key drivers on my system. What should I do about those? If I upgrade to the next Beta or next version and those drivers break, can I assume via e-mail you'll help me get through the issues? Should I e-mail those to you now?
It's highly unlikely that they would be broken (and it would only be an issue for CML drivers, not PDL drivers.) But if you want to export out the CML code to me I'll take a look at them.
Dean Roddey
Dean; A few items;

Drivers;

1. as part of the stop, unload, restart changes, are you also going to make the driver settings viewable and changeable through this process. Things change over time, and I hate the fact that you need to tear a driver out and reinstall just to make a simple port change or somthing.

2. Are you going to allow an individual driver verson to be updated without updating the entire installation?

Security settings;

1. Are you going to consider adding an option to enable low security mode during installation? I think that it has been well stated that most of us get around this requirement currently. I would like to see the dafalt be for low security, with high security access still being an option

Interface Editor;

1. Please consider changing the graphics import functionality to include a group of items at a time. I would also love to see drag and drop functionality in the interface both for new file additions and file cabinet relocations. I can tell you that over time, I have accumulated a complete mess of files in the wrong buckets, making my user items very hard to locate.

2. Rotation of graphics - I would like to see a rotation function in addition to the flip and flop functionality currently in the graphic import routine.

3. I would like to see the ability to export a graphic into an editable format

4. Toolbar/Sidebar functionality; I would like to see the interface become much better and more user friendly. It would be great to have the ability to add side bars or floating windows for items like font, color, widgets and so on.

Interface viewer;

1. Can you add the ability to have a RELOAD command in an interface via a special action button? It would save time when making changes when many screens are installed. You should see my fire drill now when I make one simple change to a button.

2. Add screen saver functionality to the interface that is configurable per screen. I would like the screens to dim over time, and then wake up based on events like alarm or exterior motion, or even room motion.

3. Add interface scaleability per viewer instance. It is getting to the point that there are so many resolutions out there that this functionality is I think required. This is a line item if you are a dealer, but the maintenance of 3 or 4 screen sets when making one simple change is almost not manageable.

There is more - but that is a years worth of work. ;-)
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I understand the complexity of dynamic scaling. I still would like a simple tool to allow scaling of a template AFTER completion. I'd love to take my 1280x1024 templates and scale them down to 1024x768. I could even live with CQC not dealing w/ aspect issues. Retaining aspect ratios should make this so much easier.

Russ...
Ok so there is one more that should have made my top ten list below (or above); :roll:

Can you create a widget similar to the checkbox widget that will allow 5 states? (or 7 states if you add on/off)

In other systems I have programed and implemented, it was one of the most used widgets available.

You would define the states and give them names like Off, Low, Med1, Med2, and High. You would then have the ability to program button commands for each of those states, and you could assign a color to each state (for button GUI).

I have used this functionality on hot tubs, swim gyms, ceiling fans, fireplaces, shades and of course, lighting.

What was cool is that the same widget could be used for between two and five states that were all user definable. The extreme cool part is that interfaces are less clutered, as for complex actions, there is only one button.

And last (for now) - another thing to consider down the road is to assign a index number to each button as it is added to an interface and track those settings in a table. It is very cool to create a complex button (or macro) one time in design and then simply pull that same button in from a list. I know there is copy and paste, but this takes that concept to the next level.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:Dean; A few items;

2. Add screen saver functionality to the interface that is configurable per screen. I would like the screens to dim over time, and then wake up based on events like alarm or exterior motion, or even room motion.

I would *LOVE* to see this.

If it could rotate randomly through a folder of pictures, then CQC could be my digital picture frame while not in use. If it worked liked the blanker, then a touch would bring up the interface. A bonus option would be the ability to assign the current screen saver image as the template background on the fly so that the interface would just seem to appear on top of the current picture frame image. Also would be great if as mentioned above, certain events could also wake the screen up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.4 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 441 40,418 06-15-2019, 02:33 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Official 5.4 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 55 7,299 06-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 815 151,111 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 27 7,898 07-05-2018, 12:44 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 87,586 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 8,797 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 196,383 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 19,444 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 488,963 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 13,266 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM