Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nokia 770, XPUnlimited & CQC - I need some help!
I am trying to get my head around how to get these 3 things working together. At this stage, I'm just trying to understand what settings I need in windows (XP Pro) XP Unlimited (the 3 RDP session free version) and in CQC to allow the Nokia to connect via RDP.

My CQC Master Server will be performing double duty as the Master Server and the host for the Nokia interface screens via my WAP.

I've seen a couple of articles that talk about using CQC in a "kiosk" mode, but that seems to refer to the situation where the device will be the default user. In my situation that's not the case. I need to be able to log into the Master Server for maintenance etc, and also have it available for the Nokia via RDP, so that's left me scratching my head a little as far as where I need to make system access settings. I'd like to not have to enter a user name or password to connect. I've also read through the main Nokia thread and I have pieces of helpful information, but not really enough to figure out the rest.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has the Nokia 770 (or 800) connected to CQC and also use XP Unlimited. What settings did you need to make in WinXP, in XPUnlimited, in CQC and/or in the Nokia itself to get this connection working?
OK, I'll try to help. First, XPunlimited will simple get installed on the main main computer and run all the time. You won't ever interact it with really because it simply runs in the background.

To get the Nokia to connect via RDP, you need to download the RDP software, RDesktop. You can download it from clicking on this link FROM YOUR NOKIA. https://garage.maemo.org/docman/view.php...op.install

Once that is installed. Then you need to set up RDP on the main machine and make sure your router is set up as well (many require some port forwarding to work). Do a quick google search if you need some instructions on that.

Once that is set up, then opening the RDesktop App on the Nokia will bring up a logon screen. You need to enter in the IP address of the main machine on your LAN, the Login ID and Password for the user you want to log in under, and "H" for the domain name.

You also must make sure you are already connected to the local wireless network. If you are not, the logon screen will simply disappear when you try to connect. It will never tell you that it failed.

The Kiosk mode is great because you can set it up to auto start the IV. You can create a user ID on the main computer that you will only use for the Nokia (I call mine "Nokia") and anytime I log in under than user name, it will auto start the IV fullscreen and I don't have to put in any CQC log in information. You actually must do this with the Nokia, because the keyboard is disabled using RDesktop, so it must auto log you in.

However, you can log in as any other user to the main computer and it won't auto start unless you set it up like that. So if you need to do maintenance stuff, just log into the main computer using a different user ID from any other computer (local or RDP). This will just bring up the normal desktop.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
Roscoe62 Wrote:At this stage, I'm just trying to understand what settings I need in windows (XP Pro) XP Unlimited (the 3 RDP session free version) and in CQC to allow the Nokia to connect via RDP.
BTW...you can hack XP to give you 3 RDP sessions also.
Sparks Wrote:BTW...you can hack XP to give you 3 RDP sessions also.

Or more, for free.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Thanks for the replies. OK, that gives me something to go on. I figure since I've already got XP Unlimited installed, I'll go with that rather than the hack.

However, in the XP Unlimited docs it mentions ensuring all users should use a group called "Remote Desktop Users" or something like that. Sic0048, can I assume that you've got this function turned off and, instead, you're using the "all verified users can do a remote login" option?

If that's true (please let me know if it is or not!) then I assume you're also setting up the user in Windows directly?

Also, in CQC, where will I find the option to "auto start" the IV?

BTW...thanks for all your helpful information! This is exactly the stuff I was after! :-)
wuench Wrote:Or more, for free.

At least as far as XP Pro is concerned, the "Or more" hack seems to be something of an urban legend. Can you confirm more than three concurrent users is possible with XP Pro, rather than just with Server 2003? I'd like to find the specifics on how to do this with XP Pro.

Thanks
Jim
I honestly don't even remember having to set XPUnlimited up, but I can tell you that I simply use the regular windows users. I have 3-4 different users that I log in under regularly (1-2 local and 2 RDP sessions). I regularlly have the max three concurrent sessions going at the same time.

Look in the CQC Learn Tab/FAQ/Kisok Mode section of the main CQC page to find out how to set it up for auto-log in.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
noworries Wrote:At least as far as XP Pro is concerned, the "Or more" hack seems to be something of an urban legend. Can you confirm more than three concurrent users is possible with XP Pro, rather than just with Server 2003? I'd like to find the specifics on how to do this with XP Pro.

Thanks
I'll try to check tonight on the number of connections.

Here's a link how...
http://sig9.com/articles/concurrent-remote-desktop
Roscoe62 Wrote:However, in the XP Unlimited docs it mentions ensuring all users should use a group called "Remote Desktop Users" or something like that. Sic0048, can I assume that you've got this function turned off and, instead, you're using the "all verified users can do a remote login" option?

Right click my computer and go to properties

on the remote tab there wil be a button Select Remote Users. Add all users that y ou want to allow remote access to here

Mick
I could only get 1 console plus 2 RDP sessions...so I guess you can only get 3 total sessions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nokia Internet Tablets jkmonroe 293 58,709 07-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Nokia 770 Autostart WLAN and RDP jkmonroe 211 40,795 05-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Last Post: rip74
  Nokia 770 Docking Prototype brotsten 30 6,657 12-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Last Post: brotsten
  Nokia N800 - Autostart WLAN & RDP Sessions sic0048 39 36,195 10-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Nokia N770 and N800 connection reliability problems solved sic0048 10 2,822 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
  Nokia 770 power on issue Roscoe62 11 2,657 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM
  Nokia Templates Sparks 0 1,332 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Sparks
  Need Help Setting Up RDesktop on Nokia Tablets kayemsi 16 2,723 08-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Last Post: penngray
  Sendero's Nokia 770 Interface Sendero 10 4,267 05-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Last Post: DeathtoToasters