Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 2.0 Beta Thread - Comments
I asked that people not post anything in the official 2.0 Beta thread that's a sticky at the top of this section. So I'm just starting this thread in case anyone has questions about any of the stuff they are reading there. Just post them here. If necessary I'll make fixes in the official thread above based on questions here, to make things more comphensible.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Not being pushy...Just wondering if you are writing up the explainations as they are finished? Does being on #7 have any indication that 2.0 beta is almost ready to go out?
Quote:I just realized that there is no need for PlayTitle, PlayCollection, and PlayItem fields in a renderer program. Since the cookies are formalized now and have a fixed format, there can just be a PlayMedia field, and you can write a title, collection, or item cookie to it. The renderer driver can just parse the cookie and see what type of cookie it is and do the right thing.

Does the cookie contain enough information that a macro can choose the renderer? As well as the type of media, for me, the media location will be just as important to know (do I use the DVD player or TheaterTek?).
Quote:Does the cookie contain enough information that a macro can choose the renderer? As well as the type of media, for me, the media location will be just as important to know (do I use the DVD player or TheaterTek?).

The cookie itself doesn't, but you can use the cookie to get that info. And in the cover art browser, and media track browser (which really should be the Media Item Browser now), there are runtime values that'll tell you the media type and location info. So in those most common scenarios, there's no need to go get anything because it's provided to you.
Dean Roddey
Quote:Not being pushy...Just wondering if you are writing up the explainations as they are finished? Does being on #7 have any indication that 2.0 beta is almost ready to go out?

Oh, no. The only major thing left is the media stuff which I'm working on all day every day. I'm writing it up now partly just to make myself say it out loud, in hopes of catching any missing pieces as I have to write it down and think about it.

There are various small bits and pieces that need to be done still as well. The new repository, well the new repository manager and the interfaces that are required between them, has been way harder than first thought. Though, as is often the case, much of the work was doing a lot of it, figuring out it sucked, starting over, figuring out that sucked, and so forth until I finally honed in on the right architecture. There was just a lot of suckage on this and I went down more blind alleys than usual.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:The cookie itself doesn't, but you can use the cookie to get that info. And in the cover art browser, and media track browser (which really should be the Media Item Browser now), there are runtime values that'll tell you the media type and location info. So in those most common scenarios, there's no need to go get anything because it's provided to you.
OK, Cool. Hard for me to visualize this in the abstract. I'm a Certified Beta Testing Self-Hoster™*, you know.

- bph

* Which means I can annoy developers professionally, not just for fun.
Just curious Dean is bulk image import scheduled for 2.0 or will that be later? I'd even be happy with a command line tool I could point at a directory that could process 200 or so .png and output them with the exact same names in CQC image format.

Right now it really slows things down when making graphics and I save them all as .png and then one by one have to go into CQC and retype the names and hit new and navigate to the image to create it..so I'm copying/pasting names from the .png file and then have to go into the interface editor click behind the name and hold backspace to get rid of the name that pops up and then paste the name I need..or retype it.

You cannot just go in and highlight the name and paste and if you do your text is appended to the current name.

**I'm in no hurry but its a needed function sooner or later and has been driving me nuts..I loathe thinking of all the work I would have to do just to try a new set of channel icons with a slightly different look and when their is 200+ images it takes forever..I also don't want to have to always ask you to do this.

Is their anything special about the CQC image format or is it simply a renamed png I could bulk job with a renamer?
Gallery | Thermostat Graphics Collection | Alarm Keypad Graphics | XM/Sirius 2009 Logo Collection | HA icon Collection | Insteon switch graphics [URL="http://www.touchscreengraphics.com/cqc/ripper-templates-images-04-13-06.zip"]
[/URL]
Ripper Wrote:Just curious Dean is bulk image import scheduled for 2.0 or will that be later? I'd even be happy with a command line tool I could point at a directory that could process 200 or so .png and output them with the exact same names in CQC image format.

Whewww...And I thought it was just me not knowing how to do bulk import. I agree, it's very tedious having to select one at a time....

While we are talking about image management, I know this probably falls waaaay down the list, but is there anyway short of manually relinking all the images on templates to re-organize the image structure? I didn't really know what I was doing when first starting out with CQC, so unfortunately I have imported images scattered here there and everywhere in various directories. I thought about just moving them into a directory structure that I wanted but of course that causes every template that loads to error out with image not found.
Post-2.0 I'll see if I can get my little command line bulk importer documented and robust enough for others to use. But you can't just point it at a directory. You have to create an XML file that defines the path structure of the images and where they will go into the repository when imported.

On the movement of the images around, there's nothing currently to do that. That would fall into the 2.1 'usability' focus though.
Dean Roddey
Thanks Dean, appreciated.
Gallery | Thermostat Graphics Collection | Alarm Keypad Graphics | XM/Sirius 2009 Logo Collection | HA icon Collection | Insteon switch graphics [URL="http://www.touchscreengraphics.com/cqc/ripper-templates-images-04-13-06.zip"]
[/URL]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.0 Previews Thread Dean Roddey 75 7,973 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Comments on Pre-Scale Templates kblagron 1 688 05-26-2015, 11:49 AM
  Sonos support in the upcoming beta (4.1.901) Dean Roddey 7 953 03-22-2012, 01:17 PM
  Denon 3805 Beta Driver batwater 0 576 02-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Last Post: batwater
  Give the latest 3.2 beta a spin... Dean Roddey 6 1,109 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM
  moving templates into folders with latest beta potts.mike 5 984 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
  Official 3.0 Discussion Dean Roddey 393 21,356 09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
  CML mini tutorial - Discussion thread Mark Stega 61 8,390 09-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Thread Still Running Error anogee 19 1,794 09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Last Post: jrlewis
  Exception occured in gateway worker thread froop 3 841 07-13-2008, 07:38 PM