Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jonathan's CQC Progress Thread
[SIZE="3"]My current theater room setup is an InFocus IN76 widescreen HD projector and I have the Origin AE15e HTPC case which has a built in 800x480 touchscreen which I wasn't really utilizing until I got CQC:
[Image: shot1-300x200.jpg]

My first job was to make a simple but usable interface for people to pick a movie and have it play. There isn't much real estate on this screen and it needs to be viewable from a distance so that means big text and big easy to push buttons. Here is the main home screen template showing the weather overlay:

[Image: img1ba7.jpg]

I am using the Lilliput background and images. The projector button is a 2-way "checkbox" control via serial cable and the receiver is controlled via Infrared (and only has toggle capability so the button is always blue). The black area at the bottom right will be used for messages such as Caller ID when I get the Asterisk driver written.

Pressing the "Movies" button on the left takes you to this overlay:

[Image: img2wi5.jpg]

The overlay has two simple controls to move back and forth through the collection (imported from DVD Profiler). There are 3 background images on top of which I have a nearly black area fill rectangle which gives a visual appearance of a DVD case spine and then the Cover Art Browser is carefully positioned on the top. I'm sure Ripper could do a nicer job with a single image instead but I'm no artist!

Because there is very little real estate on the screen selecting any of the movie images takes you to a details overlay:

[Image: img3es3.jpg]

This overlay tries to use the same "fake DVD cover" trick as before. I wish we had a scrollable area for the description but for now you just have to live with the first few lines! From here you can go back to the browser or click the Play button. In the future I'd like to be able to launch a preview that would be shown in the little display :-)

The play button uses a state I defined (TheaterTek running) which checks to see if there is a movie playing right now and if so it won't show up. This is for later on when I have additional devices (tablets, etc.) so stop other people from accidently or deliberately changing what is playing.

When the play button is pressed the following happens:
  • The projector is turned on
  • Theatertek is launched with the movie
  • The room lighting is dimmed
  • The Interface Viewer is hidden (the desktop is black) to reduce the light from the HTPC
Lastly, I've been working on an Insteon driver for controlling my theater lighting so I have a lamp control overlay template. The graphics are courtesy of Ripper.

[Image: Image-0004.jpg]

I re-ripped all my music and switched to the new 2.0 beta repository:

[Image: Image-0001.jpg]

This is my only "Pop out" control so far, it lets you select the music genre to filter:

[Image: Image-0002.jpg]

I also have one for Internet Streaming radio:

[Image: Image-0003.jpg]

I'm using the SlimServer driver I wrote so here is just a fun template with an image of the Squeezebox with real-time status fields showing:

[Image: Image-0005.jpg]

[/SIZE]
Looks great... Nitpicking here for a perfectionist view..On your text window... did you resize it? It looks like the bottom is not the same rounded shape.
Ron
tia, Ron

My Go Big or Go Home Retirement HT...
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, (4) JBL 8340As, (4) JBL 8320s), PS3, (2) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables, Monster HTPS7000, )2) Furman rack conditioners, (2) Danley DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, Panamorph UH-480 anamorphic lens, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), 2 Crest Audio CM2008 8 channel amps, and (3) Parasound Zamps.
Thanks. I really dislike that text window and yes it is resized (through remember this display is small so you don't see the detail in real life!) I want something with a lighter color background, maybe something that looks inset instead. This was all done in about a day about 2 days after I got CQC and before I started working on CML and PDL drivers which is now taking all my "CQC" free time!
I've generated some more of the sunken panels that cover the sizes you are using, so that they can have correct rounding. I'm about to re-do the Lilliput image pack and upload it. When it's up there, I'll let you know and you can re-import it to get the new stuff.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
OK, it's updated, so import it again. There will be a smaller status area, a few new large sunken areas and a few more tall sunken areas that fit your needs.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Looks nice. How loud is that case? Great idea to use that.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Well, it is very silent now :-D

I removed the noisy fans it came with and replaced the fan under the vertical hard drive frame with a 9db SilenX. The power supply is a Seasonic and it is really inaudible (highly recommended), the EVGA NVidia 6600GT is fanless (heatpipe cooled) and the AMD64 3200 processor has Zalman 92mm copper fan which is slowed down but is probably still the loudest component.

The onboard NVidia 6150 on the Asus motherboard I used drives the TFT touchscreen display (with 1:1 pixel mapping) and the 6600GT drives the projector. The case came with an internal IRMAN receiver (not blaster) but I removed that and have kept my trusty USB-UIRT instead.

The system runs about 45C and I have two more SilenX fans at the rear that aren't plugged in if needed in the future.

There are two other cases out now that have TFT displays at lower prices although I think the premium for this case was worth it. The design is excellent, the airflow well done and the construction and thickness of material are excellent :-D

Many people have dismissed the touchscreen because of the difficulty of getting dual-display (twin video) working with MCE and other front-ends. I think using CQC is the perfect solution!
Dean Roddey Wrote:OK, it's updated, so import it again. There will be a smaller status area, a few new large sunken areas and a few more tall sunken areas that fit your needs.

Thanks! I'll play with it when my guests leave :-)
Jonathan Wrote:Many people have dismissed the touchscreen because of the difficulty of getting dual-display (twin video) working with MCE and other front-ends. I think using CQC is the perfect solution!

I'm in the process of building two HTPCs and I have yet to order a case. I'm very interested in this case, but like you mentioned above I'm worried about how to get a dual-display setup working. If I did go with a case like this I would want to have the CQC interface always showing on the case's display and have video playback go to the TV. My TV has a VGA input so I'm planning on connecting the video card's VGA output directly to the TV. How would I configure the software so that the CQC interface is always on the case's display while all other stuff like movie playback goes to the TV?

MikeW
MikeW Wrote:I'm in the process of building two HTPCs and I have yet to order a case. I'm very interested in this case, but like you mentioned above I'm worried about how to get a dual-display setup working. If I did go with a case like this I would want to have the CQC interface always showing on the case's display and have video playback go to the TV. My TV has a VGA input so I'm planning on connecting the video card's VGA output directly to the TV. How would I configure the software so that the CQC interface is always on the case's display while all other stuff like movie playback goes to the TV?

MikeW

I use TheaterTek but I'm sure Zoomplayer also allows you do select which display to use for output. The interface viewer is set for Kiosk mode and is in the startup group so everything boots to a secure kiosk environment.

The other cases with displays are the Silverstone LC18 and the Ahanix MCE701 (review at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708270)

I have my secondary display (the projector) selected with TheaterTek so when CQC launches it the output is shown on the right display.

That being said, there are some issues to be aware of in general with multiple displays. First, if you are using a single card to drive two displays, only the primary display (the one Windows uses for the desktop normally) has Direct3D acceleration and many times there are also issues on overlay too. You may need to make your TV the primary display and run CQC on the secondary (which does work, I tried it).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HA Progress 3.0 jkmonroe 184 36,879 01-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  AVTexan CQC Build Thread avtexan 42 8,822 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  jkmonroe's progress and IV ... jkmonroe 5 2,680 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  John's i_Pod Screens - *work in progress jpants 16 6,154 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Last Post: batwater
  S70 Screens - Work in progress! jpants 5 2,122 02-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jpants