Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pushing vs. pulling fields and events
Yes, as of XP SP1 there is support for BlueTooth.

This post may make more sense to you since I don't code C++ but it doesn't look too bad?

http://www.lenholgate.com/archives/000102.html
Did this go anywhere

Using bluetooth as a means of detecting the arrival/departure of someone is an idea that I like. My new car has a BT handsfree kit so I am hoping that I can use that to detect that the car has arrived in the garage and trigger actions on it.

Moving on from there, the use of mobile phones as an indicator of an individual person is a good next step.

Mick
Just an alternative thought - There is a xAP application that already does the Bluetooth proximity detection and runs as a service - and I have a CQC xAP driver nearly finished , and so far working well.

xAP Blue from www.mi4.biz
xAP driver (based on Hitcocknz's code)... from me, real soon now

(edit) You got there before me - just responded to your Q re this in the driver forum .. xAP thread
znelbok Wrote:Did this go anywhere

Using bluetooth as a means of detecting the arrival/departure of someone is an idea that I like. My new car has a BT handsfree kit so I am hoping that I can use that to detect that the car has arrived in the garage and trigger actions on it.

Moving on from there, the use of mobile phones as an indicator of an individual person is a good next step.

Mick

I like the idea, but you may have problems implementing this in real life. If you can get the bluetooth discovery working in CQC, you still are going to have a basic problem due to the fact that the car isn't going to have the bluetooth on when the car is turned off.

So while the system might be able to correctly register when the car comes home, when you turn the car off, the blue tooth will turn off after a period of time I'm sure. So when you go back out to leave and turn the car on, it will turn the bluetooth on again, and the CQC system will discover it again. It will look like the car as arrived home again instead of actually leaving. This could cause big problems.

If you have an alarm system, perhaps you could write your actions so it ignores a bluetooth discovery for 5 minutes after the alarm is armed or something like that. But without some other event to trigger from I don't think you are going to make the bluetooth detection system smart enough to work with your car alone.

Just something to think about before you work really hard on making the bluetooth system work.
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
BlueTooth in CML would be really cool.
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
The advantage to using the XML gateway would be that you don't have to have CQC on the workstation but every workstation in the network could have a service that starts and registers data about bluetooth devices that it knows about.

While the CML wrapper is cool, this seems like one of those things that is better independent.

Russ...
Wouldnt the distance from the bluetooth reciever to the car be a problem?
The best i could get out of a 100m dongle and be reliable is around 12m with one door and wall to get through.
sic0048 Wrote:I like the idea, but you may have problems implementing this in real life. If you can get the bluetooth discovery working in CQC, you still are going to have a basic problem due to the fact that the car isn't going to have the bluetooth on when the car is turned off.

So while the system might be able to correctly register when the car comes home, when you turn the car off, the blue tooth will turn off after a period of time I'm sure. So when you go back out to leave and turn the car on, it will turn the bluetooth on again, and the CQC system will discover it again. It will look like the car as arrived home again instead of actually leaving. This could cause big problems.

If you have an alarm system, perhaps you could write your actions so it ignores a bluetooth discovery for 5 minutes after the alarm is armed or something like that. But without some other event to trigger from I don't think you are going to make the bluetooth detection system smart enough to work with your car alone.

Just something to think about before you work really hard on making the bluetooth system work.

Well assuming it's a handheld mobile phone, the bluetooth connection would remain even after the car is shut off (unless of course the car increases the range of the system). So even if you shut off the car, the handheld bluetooth phone will still be detected.

I would think you'd have issues with the range regardless. I'd love to be able to use my blackberry in the same way but I can't even get my laptop to recognize my phone when it's inches away from it.
Keith
this idea very nice idea.

i found that bluetooth dongle (w/s&h) $2.55
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

USB cable over CAT5 to door up to 150 feets (w/s&h) $15.17
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6640

Bluetooth discovery and connection library libarary for .NET (free)
http://c4fdevkit.codeplex.com/

Now that somebody who familiar with CQC to write bluetooth proximity driver.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC WebRiva not pulling up IVB 14 268 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Scheduled Events? jkmonroe 9 113 01-06-2018, 09:08 AM
  FailOnErr in events IVB 6 96 01-01-2018, 06:20 PM
  Suggestion - Scheduled Events karenlee 2 563 05-10-2017, 05:37 PM
  Lumagen Radiance fields missing dlmorgan999 14 2,044 02-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Field Check Box fields George M 2 705 01-25-2017, 04:14 PM
Last Post: George M
  Cant use fields of Denon driver in global actions George M 4 1,291 12-18-2016, 06:21 PM
  How do I 'count' fields? jkmonroe 37 3,329 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Persistent Fields Ron Haley 1 580 05-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Logic Server Fields Limit zra 11 1,821 03-20-2016, 07:59 AM
Last Post: zra