Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.0.18 hanging on Vista
My main server is an XP machine running CQC 2.0.18

My desktop is a Vista machine also running CQC 2.0.18

About every 24 hours, CQC on the Vista machine looses the ability to communicate. Stopping and restarting either the Interface Viewer or the Admin Interface does not help. Stopping and restarting the CQC service makes no difference either. Only rebooting clears it. The only error I see in the log is:

Could not contact the CIDLib Name Server (at 192.168.1.199:13502)

Dean, what do I need to do to get more debug info?

Thanks,
.... Jim
If stopping and starting the CQC Service doesn't help, then it doesn't seem like it could be a CQC issue. Is that address in the log entry in your post the address of the MS or the local machine?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Just for starters can you access the XP system from the Vista system when CQC is not working? File transfers, ping, etc. would be good things to try. So far, everything we've seen on Vista having to do with CQC oddities relates to permissions. This sounds more like a breakdown of network communication.
Mark Stega
The address is the MS. I can access the MS (XP) filesystem from the Vista system via the network just fine. I can also access the MS from other machines which leads me to believe the problem is on the Vista system. Also, the first time it happened, I rebooted the MS but not the Vista system and that didn't have any effect.

My next steps are to check the IV more often to see if I can narrow down when it is hanging. It is possible that it could be the anti-virus (AVG 7.5.463) scan or the anti-spyware (Windows Defender 1.1.1505.0) scan.

I was hoping that there was a way to turn on more verbose logging for the CQC system and a way to turn on a timestamp on log entries.

Thanks!
.... Jim
The log entries are time stamped, though those time stamps aren't necessarily always displayed, according to what you are using to look at them. If you can contact the MS from other machines, then you'd really only care about what's going on on the client. So do this:

1. Open the CQC Command Prompt
2. Run the IV like "CQCIntfView.exe /VerboseLog"

That'll turn on verbose logging just on the IV. Of course stop any existing running copy before you try to do that.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:The log entries are time stamped, though those time stamps aren't necessarily always displayed, according to what you are using to look at them. If you can contact the MS from other machines, then you'd really only care about what's going on on the client. So do this:

1. Open the CQC Command Prompt
2. Run the IV like "CQCIntfView.exe /VerboseLog"

That'll turn on verbose logging just on the IV. Of course stop any existing running copy before you try to do that.
I found that on Vista the IV would not run in this fashion. Since it is Admin, it runs in the context of a normal new window, not the CQC Command Prompt window, so it doen't have access to the CQC_DataDir variable.

Easiest is to edit the properties of the startup shortcut for the IV and add the /VerboseLog there.

Dean, Sorry, I meant to send this issue on to you but in the flurry, just forgot.
Mark Stega
Done. Is Log Server Monitor what I want to look at the log with?
That's good to watch it live. If you want to get me a full dump to look at, you would do this:

1. Open CQC Command Prompt
2. Do "CIDLogAdmin TestDump"
3. It'll create a CIDLogServer.Dump file in the Windows\System32 directory

Zip that and send it to me. Preferably you would periodically flush the logs until something happens so that there's as little extraneous stuff as possible when it finally happens.
Dean Roddey
Will do.

.... Jim
This is looking very much like a nameserver issue with my internal network and/or a flaky network cable. I will be looking into it more, but until further notice, assume that the problem is NOT with CQC.

Thanks for the help!
.... Jim