Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can CQC be used for controlling theatrical lighting and special effects
sure,
my thoughts would be to just write a DMX driver, or better yet, get someone else too (beelzerob?)...
either that or find some software that controls DMX and write a driver that controls it...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
SomeWhatLost Wrote:sure,
my thoughts would be to just write a DMX driver, or better yet, get someone else too (beelzerob?)...
either that or find some software that controls DMX and write a driver that controls it...

I'm interested in a DMX driver. The problem is while the protocol is common, communicating with the controller is another matter altogether. For example, the RGB LED controller I have (Chauvet Lighting Xpress512) ONLY talks to Chauvet Lighting ShowXpress Software.

You can use keyboard shortcuts to send ShowXpress commands to trigger various lighting scenes, etc. but the software needs to have focus to use the shortcuts. I have been unsuccessful to see if Chauvet will release an api or make the software so that it sits in the system tray, etc.

The actually controller for the LED RGB lights uses the generic 512 protocol but the trick is getting the DMX signal out of the PC (i.e USB to DMX).

Either way if there's a solution, I'm all ears!
Keith
If the USB is loading as a serial port and the software is connecting to a com port then you could use a serial port sniffing package to check what the commands are and compare that the sthe standard DMX512 protocol.

Without looking I am sure there are some other generic DMX512 packages you could try and see if you can control that way. That would also confirm that you dont absolutely need their softwaare.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok Wrote:If the USB is loading as a serial port and the software is connecting to a com port then you could use a serial port sniffing package to check what the commands are and compare that the sthe standard DMX512 protocol.

Without looking I am sure there are some other generic DMX512 packages you could try and see if you can control that way. That would also confirm that you dont absolutely need their softwaare.

Mick

Mick any suggestions on the serial port sniffing software?
Keith
Yeah I use a product called Free Serial Port Monitor

http://www.serial-port-monitor.com/

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Did anyone ever do a DMX driver? Our church uses DMX lights, they are inexpensive ($100 range), are full color spectrum RGB, no heat, low power, lots of light output and dimmable. I'm thinking for Halloween, Christmas, etc lighting effects outside.
I may be interested too planning on adding some LED RGB lighting strips that have controllers that are DMX ready.
A driver has been discussed a number of times, but I don't think one has ever been done.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I guess the first step would be to identify a hardware device to write a driver against. Something that does serial or IP to DMX.
Bounce...

Revisiting this. Thinking about outdoor RGB rope light for under my deck rail. Also thinking about holidays, Halloween, Christmas, etc, and lighting options. Hue lightstrip is not outdoor friendly so it is out.

DMX LED lights are relatively inexpensive with much potential for lighting fun to be had.

If I understand what little I've read so far, an IP implementation would use Art-Net.

Anyone else thought about / done this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for input on basement lighting George M 0 624 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Last Post: George M
  Controlling LED light with 12v battery ellisr63 32 1,647 03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  insteon vs. UPB for primarily lighting rtarver 16 2,196 12-25-2015, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Has anyone looked at Hue for lighting? ellisr63 72 7,816 02-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Lighting - Future proof considerations Bugman 7 1,033 04-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  C-Bus help for new lighting install jmwhooper 20 4,343 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Last Post: willplaice
  Lighting Protocol karenlee 2 506 01-15-2013, 05:40 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  sequential lighting ellisr63 2 759 12-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Lighting control for the UK Sendero 9 1,275 11-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  Recommendation for Z-Wave motion detector/lighting/security locks zra 12 2,725 05-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey