Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to start HA project...need help!
I started looking at this site about a year ago, when I was in the construction phase of my new house. Well, we've been in it for about 8 months now and I'm finally able to start my HA project.

IVB was super cool back then and drew up what I should run, wiring wise.

http://www.raisingflowers.com/framing/up...iagram.bmp

Zone 1 - Kid room
Zone 2 - Kid room
Zone 3 - office
Zone 4 - 2nd floor entry area
Zone 5 - Master Bath
Zone 6 - Kitchen
Zone 7 - Great/Front Room
Zone 8 - Master BR

Now, I wasn't smart enough to run Cat 5 along with speaker wire from the speaker junction box back to server room in basement. But, I'm still trying to find a way to use the keypads that IVB just picked up on eBay.

Also, after talking with IVB, I might not be needing a CAV 6.6 unless I can score a great deal. I was planning on having PC's in every room where there is going to video.

What I need from you all are suggestions on what to buy first and things like that.

I think I'm going to get CQC during the sale that Dean is running in April. I figured a Media Server would be the next thing and then by PC's for each room after that.

I also need to buy speakers for each Zone and some way to control them (IVB keypads or some other form)

Just give me the suggestions and/or ideas that you think would have the quickest impact on getting my HA started.

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

Jeremy
Really, the place to start depends on your habits. In my house, the kids are young so preservation of DVDs was important. I started with a Sony 777 and two computers (one for interfaces and one as the master server). Lighting came next and then a matrix switch. The Media Server is nice if you have your movies and/or audio ripped. If it's on DVDs, something like the 777 (or a modded 985) would be more bang for the buck.

The real win for me so far has been the ability to eliminate 2 extra cable boxes in the house.

There are plenty of great ideas here, you'll just need to give more information to get the best advice.

Russ...
other than not running the CAT5, what else did you do/not do?
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I don't know.......I think I ran every line that was in your drawing.

I just don't really know where to start, once I get the money to buy some stuff. My thought would be a PC to handle the needs of Home Automation. But how would I know, I've never done this before!!!

Later

jflo
Well, what parts do you have besides write at this point? There are some simple basic parts you'll need to start with before you'll get anywhere. You'll need a 'puter to run CQC on. You'll need CQC next.

The diagram that IVB drew is very similar to how I started out. I bought a 9x6 audio/video switch. I quickly learned that a single HD destination just isn't going to work when I bought a second HDTV for the master bedroom. Now I'm rethinking whether I'll do one combined switch that can handle HD and SD or whether I'll do one for SD/audio and another for HD. At this point I'll never recommend to anyone that they should only support SD. Personally, I still believe that all SD video sources can be modulated, added to your analog cable feed and put to every source at one time. Channel 76 might be cable box 1, 78 cable box 2, 80 is DVD changer, etc. In all honesty, that's not how mine's set up but it certainly deserves some thought as it's fairly cheap to do. I actually started that route and I think I even have a 2 and/or 4 channel modulator somewhere in my abyss of a parts closet.

Russ...
Quote:Well, what parts do you have besides write at this point? There are some simple basic parts you'll need to start with before you'll get anywhere. You'll need a 'puter to run CQC on. You'll need CQC next.

The diagram that IVB drew is very similar to how I started out. I bought a 9x6 audio/video switch. I quickly learned that a single HD destination just isn't going to work when I bought a second HDTV for the master bedroom. Now I'm rethinking whether I'll do one combined switch that can handle HD and SD or whether I'll do one for SD/audio and another for HD. At this point I'll never recommend to anyone that they should only support SD. Personally, I still believe that all SD video sources can be modulated, added to your analog cable feed and put to every source at one time. Channel 76 might be cable box 1, 78 cable box 2, 80 is DVD changer, etc. In all honesty, that's not how mine's set up but it certainly deserves some thought as it's fairly cheap to do. I actually started that route and I think I even have a 2 and/or 4 channel modulator somewhere in my abyss of a parts closet.

Russ...

Russ.....

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that my first purchase is going to be a fairly stout PC that will act as the CQC server in the "server room". Next, I'm gonna need a PC in my master bedroom as well as the kitchen and family/great room. I don't have any reason to get CQC yet as I don't even have any speakers in the ceiling yet. Can't play music if I have nothing to play it through!!!!

So.........after talking to myself and from your guys' input it should be like this.

1. PC to run CQC on (media server, hosting DVD's and MP3's, etc)
2. ceiling speakers and audio knobs to control volume
3. CAM/CAV/NuVo Concerto to distribute audio
4. CQC software
5. Fujitsu 3400 or some other way to remotely control audio

That's probably enough right now...........

What do you all think about that list?

jflo
i would go about it differently. dont worry about the PC or CQC just yet. buy and install your systems first: audio, video, security, lighting, hvac, etc, then pick up CQC to tie all of the systems together.
Quote:i would go about it differently. dont worry about the PC or CQC just yet. buy and install your systems first: audio, video, security, lighting, hvac, etc, then pick up CQC to tie all of the systems together.

Very good idea.......never really thought of it that way. I'll have to think about that. I really want to have whole house audio first. I would just need some way to control it remotely, that's all.

interesting...........

Later

jflo
Yeah, that's a tough one, esp since you didn't run the CAT5. You could start with getting the audio you want, then using CQC for that. Then, add other subsystems on as you find the time.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Quote:I don't have any reason to get CQC yet as I don't even have any speakers in the ceiling yet.
Quote:i would go about it differently. dont worry about the PC or CQC just yet. buy and install your systems first: audio, video, security, lighting, hvac, etc, then pick up CQC to tie all of the systems together.

IMHO, if you are pretty confident you are going to use CQC in the near future soemtime, I would take advantage of the sale this week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mozilla iOT - Project Things znelbok 1 1,017 02-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  So, I have been thinking, and that hurt a little bit, my next uControl/CQC project... SomeWhatLost 30 4,516 10-16-2014, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  The Ipod Project Target 190 20,635 09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Last Post: CommandFusion
  Insteon SDM Socket Server will not start Sendero 0 808 03-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Sendero