Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IVB's HA progress
Well, I spent 5 hours today running all new wiring for a doorbell plus Elk doorbell ring detector. Haven't actually connected to the Elk via CQC yet, took longer than I thought as I had a harder time than anticipated running the wiring in my 95yr old Craftsman house. It's both roomy in the crawlspace, yet cluttered to hell with old wires and bizarre wood runs.

What do I have to show for it? Well, the chime does go ding-dong when you push the button. And the wife does have the pushbutton of her choice [from restoration hardware], and it only cost $10. Oh, and a new multimeter as my 20yr old finally conked out, and I couldn't remember which wire went to the chime, and which went to the pushbutton.

I have faith that sometime in the next 7 days, i'll be able to connect to the Elk using the ElkRP software, then connect to CQC.

If I'm super-lucky, I'll learn how to get CQC to trap the inbound doorbell ring via the Elk, and have it do something. No idea what, but something.

I can't believe Rohan thinks this HA stuff is fun. Maybe for grits & shins, i'll have it turn down the volume on the music, just to inject some HT into the situation.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
So that whenever the neighbors think the party is too loud, they can just ring the doorbell... now, if you gave them a wireless remote to the doorbell...

Smile Of course it's fun.
Quote:I can't believe Rohan thinks this HA stuff is fun.
And you've only just begun.

Imagine how much fun you could have if you had a watering system that you could control with CQC Tongue

Cheers

Rohan
rhamer Wrote:Imagine how much fun you could have if you had a watering system that you could control with CQC Tongue
To use, of course, when the neighbors ring the doorbell to turn down the music because they think the party is too loud...
Sorry for the delay in responding, i was perusing through my >1TB of DVDs and 300GB of TV, trying to figure out what to watch. Opted for the latest episode of The Soprano's [PQ cleaned up via dscaler & elecard], then wife watched Crash.

Yeah, HT pc's are pretty cool, wouldn't you guys say?
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
I had a real 'power yuppie' moment along those lines last week. I got a bath after exercise and then was drinking a glass of line and selecting some nice music on the touch screen. I kind of stopped and realized what how ridiculously yuppie that was and cracked up.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean_Roddey Wrote:I had a real 'power yuppie' moment along those lines last week. I got a bath after exercise and then was drinking a glass of line and selecting some nice music on the touch screen. I kind of stopped and realized what how ridiculously yuppie that was and cracked up.

I thought one snorted lines, not drank them. But what do I know. Smile
IVB Wrote:If I'm super-lucky, I'll learn how to get CQC to trap the inbound doorbell ring via the Elk, and have it do something. No idea what, but something.

My idea is when the doorbell goes off to have CQC display the door camera automaticly.
Hi IVB,

Are you planning to install a door strike release also? If you are, then could you elaborate more on how you're doing/integrate this with CQC? I want to be able to open/buzz the front door open from the kitchen when someone rings to the doorbell.

thanks,
jbhungvt
jbhungvt Wrote:Hi IVB,

Are you planning to install a door strike release also? If you are, then could you elaborate more on how you're doing/integrate this with CQC? I want to be able to open/buzz the front door open from the kitchen when someone rings to the doorbell.

thanks,
jbhungvt

I am also planning on doing a door strike, but one step at a time. This is my first true foray into HA, and my first device using the Elk, so I don't actually know specifically what i'm going to do & how.

That lack of knowledge, combined with a general lack of consensus on "best HA practices" in the industry, is going to lead me down an "organic growth" path where I take a step, look around, see what the best next step is. This, as opposed to a totally structured and planned out design up front where I just implement pieces as $$/time warrant.

Not to say that i'm doing zero design, just that I don't think anyone out there has enough vision to create a good to-be state. Hence, I'm stuck with function point planning [i.e., A list of "perform this action if that happens" requirements], as opposed to the type of strategy/vision I put on my website for HT.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My HA Progress anogee 16 1,938 09-19-2008, 03:46 AM
Last Post: Squintz
  progress bar for changer ellisr63 3 813 07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Progress bar ellisr63 3 822 04-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Helheim's HA Progress Helheim 8 1,256 12-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Helheim
  Penngray's HA progress....... penngray 87 8,356 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM