Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think Amazon may have screwed us
Dean,

I would urge you to take another look at the Alexa Smart Home option. We discussed this in the forum about 4 years ago, but Amazon has greatly explanded the capabilities. There is now native support for dozens of different device types including lights, speakers, locks, thermostats, motion detectors, security panels, etc.
https://developer.amazon.com/docs/device...oller.html

I implemented a version of this about 2 years ago leverging the ECHO support that you deployed. Basically there is a configuration file on my CQC server that defines the devices (at this point lights, speakers and locks). I can then say "Alexa, discover devices" and everything is loaded.

At that point, I have native control of these devices, so I can say:
"Alexa, turn on the kitchen lights"
"Alexa, dim the kitchen lights"
"Alexa, lock the front gate"
"Alexa, is the front gate locked?"
"Alexa, turn on the gym music"
"Alexa, turn up the gym music"
etc.

Amazon just added a security panel feature, and I'll probably add that next.

The code is hosted on the Amazon AWS and then hits the CQC ECHO URL with the appropriate info (CQCSetToIntent), which then runs the appropriate macro which decodes the request and performs an action or answers the query.

All in all, pretty simple, although it could be made much simpler as I had to work with what was there.

I will say, it works perfectly, everytime...the WAF is very high, and the system is used daily. It's hard to beat the ability to plug a $35 device into the wall, and suddenly have voice recognition in any area of the house. I realize that this  is simply a voice "remote control", but essentially every other automation company offers this feature...it really is expected.

Anyway, hope you take a look at it. There are a few more issues, such as OAuth2 and such, but nothing insurmountable.

Nishan
This is what I think everyone really wants.

As well all know, we have to say Alexa, tell <system name> to <do something>, which has never sat well with everyone (in my house) - especially when you can just say the simplified task above.

If we can use a script to trigger a series of commands - like the Groups feature in Alexa, but for stuff outside of the echo eco system that would be perfect.

Nishan - any chance you could share more on what you have done - I was just about to go down the path of using fuaxmo on a Pi to achieve the functionality I needed with CQC but you appear to have done this in a cleaner way.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(05-06-2019, 05:26 PM)znelbok Wrote: Nishan - any chance you could share more on what you have done 

+1
(05-06-2019, 09:29 PM)kblagron Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 05:26 PM)znelbok Wrote: Nishan - any chance you could share more on what you have done 

+1

Sure, I'll put some stuff together.
Anyone should be able to replicate what I've done, but really I'd love Dean to integrate this into CQC to make it much more seamless.
I'll look at it, but it would have to be after this release. And, most likely, it will involve just dropping the old stuff since it's legacy and no one else can create them. That may or may not go over well, but it's not worth the effort to support both if no one can create the old ones anymore.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
And Google may be doing exactly the same thing.  Just came across this article:

Quote:Nest devices will lose IFTTT support this August

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/08...is-august/
See my post in the other section. Google is closing down Works with Nest and making it all proprietary.
Dean Roddey
Stringify has also been shut down.

Says a lot about cloud based services - you are at the whim of the people owning the servers. They can dispensary at any time - one of the main reasons why I believe CQC is so valuable.

Just wish more people knew about it. I listen to podcasts every day - a few IoT/Automation ones and CQC has never been mentioned - plenty of others have and one in particular was using the lack of cloud as a selling point.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Contact the folks and make them aware of it. It can't but help.
Dean Roddey
I just read an article about Google's announcements re: Google Nest.  They are breaking the world (except Alexa).  I love the following because it's so telling:

Quote:"Works with Nest" users will be facing a broken smart home and will have to pick up the scraps of their smart home ecosystem and MacGyver together another solution out of the pieces.

It's here if anyone wants to read it:  https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/...e-io-2019/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Native amazon echo implementation NishanF 3 252 06-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  CQC on Amazon Ron Haley 34 9,605 12-30-2017, 08:28 AM
Last Post: RichardU
  Amazon Echo Smart Home Skills API jkmonroe 23 4,458 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Amazon Echo $153 today only (on sale) IVB 0 1,076 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: IVB