Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WebRIVA password special character issue?
Hi Dean,

I am finding that WebRIVA is rejecting the special character ! (after further testing - any special character) in the password and just eating it.  Is this a bug, deliberate or what?  Documentation says nothing of the format of the password.  Special characters work for regular RIVA clients (like taRIVA)

I am guessing that the Admin Interface is the culprit here.

Special characters used to work, but at some point they stopped.  I finally just got around to debugging why I couldn't connect.  

-Ben
The password becomes part of a URL when you use WebRIVA. So any character that would cause problems in the URL will get get URL encoded. Maybe the web server isn't decoding the parameters properly or something, and just using the literal text with encoded characters. I'll have to look at that.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
OK, yeh, special characters show encoded, so I need to decode them. It may or may not be done, depending on the browser. But if I explicitly encode the URL, it shows up encoded, so any browser that did encode that character in query params would have an issue. I'll fix that for the next drop.
Dean Roddey
Thanks Dean!
(09-30-2018, 12:24 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: OK, yeh, special characters show encoded, so I need to decode them. It may or may not be done, depending on the browser. But if I explicitly encode the URL, it shows up encoded, so any browser that did encode that character in query params would have an issue. I'll fix that for the next drop.

One question though, if I remove the special character from the string passed to WebRIVA it authenticates without error, did you also check this? The password in the Admin Interface for the web browser contains the special character. Just making sure that there is not more than one issue, it was puzzling that it would work without the character.
That doesn't work for me. Can you reproduce that? If so, maybe send me a sample password string that works that way for you, so that I can try it. Was it in some special position, maybe the first or last character or something?
Dean Roddey
Try OneGr8PlateOfThis! Also tried the ! in middle position etc and it validates just fine with ! in Admin Interface Web Browser password field. Also have tried $
If I remove the ! it doesn't connect for me. You sure the browser URL recall or something isn't actually getting you the version with the character? Ultimately there's no way it will work unless the right password makes it to the server side. So it has to be something going on on the browser side to get you back to the version with the character.
Dean Roddey
Hmmm... I think what is happening is that the stored account password is OneGr8PlateOfThis but I'm changing the Web Password through the text field and saving and not through the "reset PW" button.

If I have OneGr8PlateOfThis! in the web field it won't work, but if I delete, it will.

So let's start over, what is the difference between the text field for the Web Password and the reset PW button? I am interpreting that there are 2 stored passwords, LAN and Web. If that is the case what is the authentication process internally?
The web password is only used if you are accessing the web server as a web server, not for WebRIVA. So if you write your own CML handler, then the Web Password is used, because you can't really do a standard CQC login in that case. You can ask for the web password in your handler and verify it against what you got.

WebRIVA can do a regular login, so it uses your regular account password.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RTSP Stream / Username and Password gReatAutomation 7 294 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Admin interface and CML IDE interface issue lleo 5 625 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Android and WebRIVA - working? batwater 9 1,364 09-30-2018, 01:44 PM
  WebRiva and vpscale=? kblagron 1 664 08-28-2018, 08:12 AM
  A big issue with use the Elk M1 and CQC, cant use the IP dialer ghurty 1 693 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  Is it possible to direct link with webriva? ghurty 1 722 07-24-2018, 05:04 PM
  WebRiva on Android George M 20 2,818 07-22-2018, 09:07 AM
  WebRiva, Android, scaling issue IVB 2 895 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: IVB
  HTML5 and Webriva and the Interface Veiwer ghurty 1 849 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM
  How to tell WebRiva to rebuild itself ghurty 3 1,064 05-24-2018, 09:50 PM