Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some early thoughts on 5.4
I think in your post above, you hit upon one of the keys. Magical integration. Look at what Apple has done in that regard. Many have followed. I'm amazed at the number of things we simply plug in today, wait a few seconds, and it's ready to sing.
Lutron has drivers because it's a general purpose system. So one driver and you get access to all the stuff that Caseta, RA2, and Homeworks provides. That's a lot of bang for the buck, and shades more or less just come for free with that.

I went back and looked at the PowerView API, such as it is. It's very simple. Basically we are talking about the ability to invoke a scene, right? That's about all there is, at least in the document I have. I can get the list of scenes, and I could present that as an enumerated field where each value is one of the scenes to invoke. If that's all it is, if you want to open up a controller for me with some scenes configured, I could do that easily enough.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(07-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Deane Johnson Wrote: I think in your post above, you hit upon one of the keys.  Magical integration.  Look at what Apple has done in that regard.  Many have followed.  I'm amazed at the number of things we simply plug in today, wait a few seconds, and it's ready to sing.

To be fair though, those are very simple things. And of course Apple is a closed environment so they don't have to deal with the real world, they just deal with AppleWorld. We have to deal with a vastly broader and more complex environment. Having said that, we could of course do more auto-location of device and make them easier to set up with CQC. It'll never be anything like can be done in a closed environment. Many of them will require information we can't know without you telling us. And of course anything that provides reasonable security would never allow anything to just connect to it and start doing things without user intervention.
Dean Roddey
(07-06-2018, 04:33 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I went back and looked at the PowerView API, such as it is. It's very simple. Basically we are talking about the ability to invoke a scene, right? That's about all there is, at least in the document I have. I can get the list of scenes, and I could present that as an enumerated field where each value is one of the scenes to invoke. If that's all it is, if you want to open up a controller for me with some scenes configured, I could do that easily enough.
Maybe I should find a PowerView shade I can ship to you and have Hunter send you a Hub which is what holds all of the Scene information.  Mine is still Series 1, and the one you want to work with is Series 2.  Though they are compatible.  Series 2 works with Echo, which doesn't concern us here.

And don't forget, Hunter's Senior Sales Engineer is waiting to hear from you to set up working directly with you on getting PowerView interfaced with CQC.

Mine can be opened up to you whenever you want, but don't forget I'm not very skilled in setting that up.
Yes, we have a small PowerView Honeycomb shade I can send to you.  It's about 24" wide and perhaps about the same in height.  Just the right size for hanging somewhere on the wall for testing.

Also, I don't think I answered the question above, yes it Scenes we need to control in the Hub.  It can be either Serial or Wi-Fi.  While Serial is certainly nice and stable, I think Wi-Fi should be investigated due to it's ease of interfacing.  How that would relate to CQC is beyond my pay grade to know.
I don't need any actual shades, just the controller since the driver wouldn't know if there are any actual shades connected or not. I forgot about the Hunter guy, that got lost in the Z-Wave driver work. I'll try to dig that back out.
Dean Roddey
Have people been able to get the scaling thing to work on the mobile interface on android?

Right now my #1 issue with CQC is the multiple resolutions required to support an iPhone 7, 7S, 8, and Pixel 2XL. I designed my screens for one that fits (one of the iOS, forgot), but on my screen it's tiny and near impossible to use. I could never get the scaling to work so they're not terribly user friendly, which means the wife & kids don't use them as they're not optimized. Chicken & Egg situation, they won't get better unless I can iterate them, but on my phone I struggle to iterate them due to it only taking up 60% of my screen size.

I'm also wondering if you really wanted to tie new zWave device support to full new releases of CQC. If a new device comes out, it'll require upgrading the base system, which is a severe price for both you & the user to pay. Then again, I have no idea how to make it any easier since I don't know the behind-the-scenes working. Right now I have the ISY unplugged, but 50% of my system is un-automated since they're all the same VRI06 switch, which isn't currently supported. I have 2 of the GE plug-in switches, and that one weird energy thing. And those damn scene & zone controllers, which are the bane of my existence since neither ISY nor CQC support them. Dumped damn near $1K on them too.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
For the most part, it only requires a new device info file. It would only require a release if it's something weird or non-standard in some way, or something we've not dealt with yet. We do need a clean means to deliver new device info files and the associated index file that goes with them, but in the meantime it mostly won't take a new release. I'll take a look at it hopefully tomorrow.

For the scaling that was changed. You now have an option like:

&vpscale=x

where x is 1, 1.5, 2, whatever. So some scaling factor you want to use.
Dean Roddey
(07-06-2018, 04:35 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 04:30 PM)Deane Johnson Wrote: I think in your post above, you hit upon one of the keys.  Magical integration.  Look at what Apple has done in that regard.  Many have followed.  I'm amazed at the number of things we simply plug in today, wait a few seconds, and it's ready to sing.

To be fair though, those are very simple things. And of course Apple is a closed environment so they don't have to deal with the real world, they just deal with AppleWorld. We have to deal with a vastly broader and more complex environment. Having said that, we could of course do more auto-location of device and make them easier to set up with CQC. It'll never be anything like can be done in a closed environment. Many of them will require information we can't know without you telling us. And of course anything that provides reasonable security would never allow anything to just connect to it and start doing things without user intervention.
If I understand correctly, I thin Control4 started the whole auto discover driver feature and have given it a name (or its a protocol) which some manufacturers are supporting.

before I read this tonight I was just thinking about this very feature today.  If CQC could piggy-back off the same as control 4 and then implement something similar for the rest.

To me it comes down to what the device makes available.  Take the Lg TV's.  The protocol is the same across all of them with only the features varying.  if a multi driver was written, instead of predefined the fields based on model, you could send a command and see if the reply comes back ad then add it as a field - or something like that, and then build the fields from there.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(07-06-2018, 06:10 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I don't need any actual shades, just the controller since the driver wouldn't know if there are any actual shades connected or not. I forgot about the Hunter guy, that got lost in the Z-Wave driver work. I'll try to dig that back out.

Here's why I think you might need a shade as well as the Hub.  I assume you won't forget that I'm coming at this from an amatuer standpoint, not a tech standpoint like the more learned individuals on this forum.

When the Hub is plugged in the first time, it goes through a typical setup process, which includes checking with Hunter for any Firmware updates.  Once that is done, the next step is to "Discover Shades".  Activating the Discover Shades command with the Hunter App causes it to survey the premises and enter the various shades ID numbers in the Hub.  That would only be a single shade in this case.

Once it has a list of the shade IDs, you can put them in Scenes as you would expect to.   The Scene you create has an ID number assigned by the Hub.  It's that number that CQC would need to use to trigger the Scene.  Without any shades, I assume it would simply be a Scene with a number, but with nothing in it.  Whether this is enough to create a driver or not, and test it accurately, is beyond my pay grade to know.

It is my belief that the Hub wants to acknowledge to CQC that it received a command in good form.  When I tried to activate Scenes with the CQC passthrough Serial Driver it failed.  I believe it's because the Hub couldn't get the Received acknowledgement back to CQC so it considered the process a fail.  That's just my amatuer assessment.

Sending the Driver commands to the Hub can be either Serial or Wi-Fi.  I'm thinking Wi-Fi would be the simplest, most universal method for users to access the Hub.  

I certainly have no problem with you accessing my system, I just thought that having Hunter send you a Hub would simplify your work process.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RIVA Web Image Widget support thoughts/questions for post-3.1 SamVimes2 3 1,892 02-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Thoughts about a post-3.1 world Dean Roddey 10 3,775 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey