Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CQC Voice Use cases
Just out of curiosity, what is the concern with the Echo?  I know all commands are processed remotely, so I suppose that someone could intercept, but haven't seen that there is a big security breach.
Seems that every week there's another revelation about general security / privacy issues. Plus I see the blue circle light up randomly at least 1x/day on various echoes, it's certainly not making me feel warm & fuzzy.

Plus I was talking offline to JKMonroe, traffic generated by it & other IoT devices is insane. He set up PiHole, and is hitting something like 10K blocked internet queries/device/day. He's taken everything local or blocked unapproved queries, i'm looking to do the same.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I would love to hear what you guys end up doing.  I have 4 of them, if there is a safer way to use them, I would be very interested.  For me, CQC Voice has a lot of promise, but the V2 driver requirement limits me to Weather and the ISY (lighting) which are V2.  I have an RCS thermostat, but have never gotten the V2 driver to work with it.
For me that caps the promise, but in reality we're using Alexa mostly for weather, setting timers, turning lights on/off. We've been traveling a little too much, it is nice to ask for weather in various cities, but we can use our phone for that. Ditto with stuff like "how many cups in a quart", not worth the privacy issues.

I just got an Acoustic Magic for $60 off eBay, assuming I can get CQC Voice to even work (as per other thread) i'll see how cheap of a fanless PC i can use. There are only 3 rooms we really care about (MBR, Kitchen, Living Room), i'd rather not buy 3*(PC+Acoustic) but if its $300 or less per room i'd do it in a heartbeat.
(06-01-2018, 10:00 PM)kblagron Wrote: I would love to hear what you guys end up doing.  I have 4 of them, if there is a safer way to use them, I would be very interested.  For me, CQC Voice has a lot of promise, but the V2 driver requirement limits me to Weather and the ISY (lighting) which are V2.  I have an RCS thermostat, but have never gotten the V2 driver to work with it.

Does it not connect, or connects but other things don't work? That's one we'd definitely want to be working right. Flush the logs, put it into high verbosity and get some log output of whatever is failing. If it's not connecting, let it run for 30 seconds or so, then stop the logging and post that output.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(06-01-2018, 09:49 PM)IVB Wrote: Plus I was talking offline to JKMonroe, traffic generated by it & other IoT devices is insane. He set up PiHole, and is hitting something like 10K blocked internet queries/device/day. He's taken everything local or blocked unapproved queries, i'm looking to do the same.

It's actually insane - and these are just DNS based queries.

[Image: wkIpz3Zm.jpg]

I broke my cams (bad firmware update, SV3C cameras), but here are the stats from my firewall policy -

[Image: 8CUMfS4.jpg]

Who knew the HDHomerun tried to phone home?  I mean, really?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
It looks like I am averaging right around 1,500 DNS queries EVERY HALF HOUR.  It's basically just a constant stream of data.

[Image: dMnWssQ.jpg]
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Ugh. I got distracted remapping every electrical circuit (got a cool circuit breaker finder wand), but man I need to get on that pi-hole setup.
Ohhh, IVB got himself a new magic wand...

Okay, now I'm motivated to spin a Pi-Hole up. I currently have 64 active devices on my network, I'm betting there is a crap ton of chatter going on.
Presumably, because of how they do remote access (i.e. both home and remote must meet in the middle on their servers, and they don't every customer to take up a number of full time connections to their server), it's probably just constantly saying, "is one of my remote clients wanting to talk?"
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC Voice Mics other than Kinect/Acoustic Magic IVB 2 212 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Mic for CQC Voice and other misc Q's znelbok 15 2,642 12-12-2017, 02:48 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQC Voice zane 3 1,395 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 14,656 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Voice-activated HA via tasker IVB 70 9,713 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
  Android based device Voice control of CQC How To Discussion Thread batwater 5 2,518 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Last Post: RichardU
  2nd Google Hangout - More on Mobile Voice Control sic0048 31 5,027 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Is anyone using the ELK for CQC driven voice annoucements? sic0048 5 1,332 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Notification of Voice Mail - Is it possible? sic0048 1 1,099 11-28-2006, 08:50 PM