Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please report Windows 1803 compatibility
Anyone else? Still so far Bryan and at least one of his customers have had this issue, but no one else that we know of. It would be nice to know if we need to get some workaround in place before the next release or not.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Well, more folks are now starting to show up reporting this. I was beginning to think that we were particularly cursed, but apparently not. Ben saw it on his CQC system, so that's finally a confirmation that not just one CQC user has seen it. But also other folks out there in general are finally starting to report it. It apparently shows up for some folks at the Windows level as well, where a machine will show up in the Network section of explorer sometimes and sometimes not. So it's not just a TCP/IP level name resolution issue.

It seems like it's somewhat sporadic for some folks and slightly different for various people. Though I think that some of what we originally thought was just a wide variety of different manifestations of the problem was really just that it sporadically works and then doesn't. So you try something, and happen to catch it in a happy mood, and it works, and you think you have come up with a workaround. Then that fails also at some point as well.

So, maybe it would be best to lock out upgrades (you can do that for up to 30'ish days) and wait for MS to get a fix out (which would then go into the spring update stuff as well) and then do the upgrade. I think at that point it's clearly that it's a general bug (apparently something that's part of the removal of Homegroup and the probably large amount of changes that entailed.) So presumably MS is aware of it now and will get it fixed.

In the meantime, I'm not sure I can come up with a fix that will work reliably for those folks having the problem. Given that almost every scenario has seemed to fail at some point or for someone. And it might be different between any given machine and another (i.e. one fix might work between A and B, but not B and C.)
Dean Roddey
I think the easiest way to prevent updates is to tell Windows Update you are on a Metered Connection. That stops it pretty well in my experience.

My Windows PCs often have trouble seeing each other at the Explorer level, but that hasn't stopped CQC so far. I am somewhat excited about the demise of Homegroups since they never worked for me and I am hoping this will allow MS to focus on fixing regular network problems. We'll see.
My Other web server is Dropbox.
There are other reasons that they may not see each other at the Explorer level beyond this issue. Here is a long post from someone on one of the MS forums giving examples of things to check and also if you are using pre-Win10 systems in the network at the same time.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...287e0e9f67
Dean Roddey
I can confirm that after updating the master server to 1803 the Admin Interface will not even connect to the master server unless I have the machine name and v4 IP address in the hosts file on the client machine
I haven't noticed any major issues yet, but my logs are full of errors. I'm sending file along to Dean.
It looks like maybe 1803 changed the name of the machine (maybe the upper/lower case'ness of it) and therefore the security certificate doesn't match now. So you can't make a secure connection to the web server because it doesn't think it has valid credentials stored for that host name.

If you have a self-signed certificate or something, you might have to re-do it.
Dean Roddey
Dean, any new ideas on this name issue? Heard anything from Microsoft? I've had three more Pluckers systems update themselves and stop working. How long are we going to give Microsoft to admit that they changed something. I would think that if Microsoft thought they have a bug they would have acknowledged it by now.
Nothing we do would really work any better than the hosts file. I'm sure they know about it. There's ever more discussion of it showing up online. And you can see people complaining about it on MS forums. But it may not be easy to fix, and presumably they don't want to make it worse by doing something hasty.

One thing that a number of folks have mentioned is to make sure that the "Function Discovery Provider Host' service is set to automatic delayed start.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 1803 and TTS problem Ishmael 5 138 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Windows 10 barely moving after upgrade. Deane Johnson 7 701 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM
  Windows Server 2016 Essentials and CQC kblagron 2 490 11-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  A word of warning regarding the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Mark Stega 40 5,120 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM
  Issues after fall Windows updates Ron Haley 3 684 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  rotate on windows 10 indygreg 3 1,051 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Exclamation Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux batwater 5 1,530 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM
  ExecApp to Start/Stop Windows Service? jaydonoghue 6 1,758 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
  Global Cache 180 serial port compatibility? MikeA 2 807 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Getting the IR windows in Admin Interface MikeA 2 1,031 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Last Post: MikeA