Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please report Windows 1803 compatibility
Windows 10 1803 has just been released. Whenever anyone tries this on a CQC server, please let us know how it works.

Cheers, Richard
My Other web server is Dropbox.
Dean & I have iCQC running on a total of three systems with no issue. These are running both the master server and the IV locally. OTOH, BryanB is having an issue with remote clients on 1803 interacting with an 1803 server.

I'd hold off a bit while this gets sorted out.
Mark Stega
It's hard to tell what is going on. But, we know that they dropped the whole HomeGroup thing from Windows. I wonder if that was the last bastion of NetBIOS or something, because Bryan's server's NetBIOS level name is something like MyServer2. But, he can't ping MyServer2, he can only ping myserver2, which would be the TCP/IP level name for the machine. But, since that machine is reporting its name as MyServer2, CQC services on that machine register themselves as being at MyServer2 on port xyz. But that fails because the name lookup doesn't work on the clients when they get that service address to contact.

I'm going to check. I'm almost certain that I some time back changed over to using TCP/IP level system APIs underneath the system information classes of my CIDLib layer. Maybe I missed some place or something. I'll check that.

But, in the meantime, it sure seems like something isn't right, since name lookup hasn't been case sensitive before, that I'm aware of. So that seems a bit suspect. Of course maybe it's some interaction with his router against changes they've introduced with name registration or something. Not sure.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
It looks like there's just some sporadic name lookup issue for some folks. Bryan can sit there and do continuous pings and a few will work and few will fail and a few will work. It's like the name gets registered, then trashed, then registered then trashed in a cycle. That was really confusing us because do something and it would seem like it worked, but them it wouldn't work again. It just mattered if we happened to catch it in a bad or good mood.

Clearly it's got to be somewhat based on your particular system, since Bryan's MS is fine and my and Mark's systems are fine, but his two clients have this name resolution issue. Maybe it's a network card driver snafu in the update or something like that.
Dean Roddey
It looks like maybe either this is just one of those really weird scenarios where two unrelated things happen at the same time and fool you into thinking they are connected, or some issue with a particular machine that didn't manifest itself until after the upgrade. Bryan replaced his MS and everything is working fine now. Since Mark and I had no issues, I think it's probably safe.

You can always just upgrade one client first and see how it goes for you before committing.
Dean Roddey
Oh well, apparently his issue came back after a while, even after replacing the server. So apparently, there's something that affects some systems. I'd say just upgrade one system at a time and see how it goes on each one. I'd say probably it won't be an issue, but probably best not to just jump in and do a lot of work only to find out it's an issue for you. I'd say upgrade the server first and make sure everything is still happy tunes with all the clients, then do the clients one at a time and test them out before continuing.

The problem he's seeing is purely client to server, so upgrading the server itself doesn't seem to be an issue either way. It's more name resolution from clients to server. And given that it remained even after replacing the server and existed on his clients pre-server upgrade and post-server upgrade, I'd guess the issue would be on the client side as well, i.e. on the name lookup side from the client not the name registration side from the server.

But that's just a guess of course.
Dean Roddey
I've updated some clients with no problems so far. Still haven't updated the server.
My Other web server is Dropbox.
Let us know when you do. That would be a good data point.
Dean Roddey
I updated all clients and the master server, and have had no issues.
Anyone else have any reports? I think it's safe enough. It's not difficult to back out if it happens, but we would want to know if others are seeing it so that we can know if it's just something pathological in Bryan's system or something we need to try to work around.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 1803 and TTS problem Ishmael 5 216 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Windows 10 barely moving after upgrade. Deane Johnson 7 757 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM
  Windows Server 2016 Essentials and CQC kblagron 2 512 11-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  A word of warning regarding the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Mark Stega 40 5,489 11-13-2017, 10:56 AM
  Issues after fall Windows updates Ron Haley 3 742 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  rotate on windows 10 indygreg 3 1,083 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM
Exclamation Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux batwater 5 1,567 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM
  ExecApp to Start/Stop Windows Service? jaydonoghue 6 1,798 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
  Global Cache 180 serial port compatibility? MikeA 2 823 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Getting the IR windows in Admin Interface MikeA 2 1,049 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Last Post: MikeA