Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WebRIVA disconnect issue
I've been meaning to post this for a while, and some discussion in the 5.3 beta thread reminded me to do it.  I'm currently using two different iPads with WebRIVA.  When connected, they work great (albeit sometimes a bit slow to update all the information on a page that has lots of fields).  I do run into a problem regularly though, and I'm wondering if there are things I can do to make it better.

The issue is that when I'm watching a movie in my theater, I'll use the iPad to get everything going, and then turn it off to preserve darkness. If I turn it back on after some time, CQC is usually no longer responding.  I end up having to kill the "app" (it's really just a full-screen Safari shortcut) and re-open it. 

Is this expected behavior?  Do you have any suggestions on things I could do to improve the experience?
I assume you mean put it into lower power mode, right? If you really turned it off, it would actually have to restart all of the programs (assuming it bothered to remember what was running at all.) But if it goes into low power mode, then most likely Safari is killing our background worker that maintains the connection. As I understand it, Safari is one of the worst about this. We know we can get pushed to the background or into sleep modes, and try to sense that. When it happens we stop doing anything other than a very slow ping to keep connected, and we tell the server to stop blasting us with info. When it comes back up, we sense that and basically ask for a full refresh so we can catch back up, and the server starts sending us info again.

I'm guessing that it's maybe actually killing us altogether and so there's nothing there to talk to the back end.

Has anyone else seen this on other browser/platform combinations? Maybe I might have to try to stop the background worker altogether and start it back up, though that will require basically going back to the home page and logging back in, because we will have lost our session on the server. Keeping it trickling along slowly in the background means that the session stays active and logged in, so we can get back going quickly (also happens if our tab is not the foreground tab.)

Maybe also see if there's any option or switch that can be used to tell the browser not to be so abusive to this particular application? Chrome has such a thing.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
You are correct - I meant I put it in standby. I didn't actually power it off. It's been a while since I created the shortcut, but I think I ended up having to do it using Safari because I couldn't figure out a way to create the shortcut using Chrome. I'm also not against buying the iOS app that has been discussed recently but that may suffer from the same issue.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.
I have the same issue with the older iOS app. Even just swiping to another app and pushing it to the background can be enough to stop it responding when I return to it. Closing the append re-launching allows it to reconnect.

I should try the web interface and see if it exhibits the same behavior. I can't try the newer iOS app because im on an older iPad and the app is not compatible with my version of iOS (and I can't upgrade).

Not really what you were asking about, but may be helping if there is an issue somewhere.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(05-08-2018, 10:08 AM)dlmorgan999 Wrote: You are correct - I meant I put it in standby. I didn't actually power it off.  It's been a while since I created the shortcut, but I think I ended up having to do it using Safari because I couldn't figure out a way to create the shortcut using Chrome.  I'm also not against buying the iOS app that has been discussed recently but that may suffer from the same issue.

I'm also curious to know if anyone else has experienced this.

I created  CQC Safari shortcut on iPad desktop:
1. Tap the "Safari" icon and then navigate to the website you want to add to the device's Home screen.
2. Wait for the website to load and then tap the "Share" icon. The icon is an arrow coming out of a box.
3. Select "Add to Home Screen" to open the Add to Home dialog box.
4. Type the name of the website in the dialog box's open field. This name is the display name for the shortcut icon.
5. Tap the "Add" button to automatically add the shortcut to the iPad's Home screen.

After iPads display is off for a time do you have a lock screen?(swipe right?)
How long does it take to hang the webRIVA client? (maybe I can test also)
I did some testing tonight and got some interesting results. I tested a 5 minute off and then a 4 minute off. In both of those cases, when I woke the iPad back up, the CQC web page reset to the white connecting screen and then was fine again. As far as I remember this is the first time I've seen this behavior, but I usually have it off for much longer.

Then I did some tests in the 10 minute and 20 minute range, and in both of those cases the web page was hung and I had to close / restart the page.

Also I did have lock enabled, but I disabled it and it didn't seem to make a difference.
Presumably at some point it goes into a deeper power mode and probably kills our connection. I'll have to see if there's a way to check if the background worker is still running and try to restart it or something. Can you get to the F12 debugger in that browser? We could get some diagnostic info perhaps if you can see the output console.
Dean Roddey
If this helps:
I just tested turning off the screens of my wall iPads for 45 mins.
    Both are plugged in and fully charged. (on power 24x7)
    Both are iPad 2's
    Running CQC full screen in Safari from a desktop shortcut.
    CQC version 5.2.909
    WebRiva  HTTP URL options used(besides &user/&pw): I added  &reconnspread=120
    iPads Running IOS 9.3.5
    One was on the home screen and one on the Music screen.

Office: after turning on:
   I Swiped to unlock
   CQC Changed from the music screen and back to home screen(no re-connect grey screen but looks like a reset of some kind)

Living room: after turning on:
    I Swiped to unlock
    CQC was on the home screen so the screen just updated the time(again no grey screen but looked like possibly a quick redraw of screen or some kind of reset).

Both Units were functioning correctly after turning on (after automatically going back to main screen - I like this functionality since the wife cannot forgets to back to mainscreen Smile ) 
Works as I expected.

Picture from last year:
weather info, weather map, Date/Time, and ELK status on Home screen:
[Image: HPd9H4R.jpg]
If it does a login and goes back to the home screen, then it lost the connection while it was away. If it has to log back in again, that's a new session and there's no previous context. If it comes back up where it was, it was able to maintain the session while down, so it just asks the server for a refresh of the current content. In that case you may see a little flash as it does a full redraw to get itself caught up.

If things are going well, it should always do the latter and not lose session context. But, if the browser kills our connection, there's nothing we can do but re-login and go back to the main template.
Dean Roddey
(05-09-2018, 07:01 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If it does a login and goes back to the home screen, then it lost the connection while it was away. If it has to log back in again, that's a new session and there's no previous context. If it comes back up where it was, it was able to maintain the session while down, so it just asks the server for a refresh of the current content. In that case you may see a little flash as it does a full redraw to get itself caught up.

If things are going well, it should always do the latter and not lose session context. But, if the browser kills our connection, there's nothing we can do but re-login and go back to the main template.

I am fine with going to main template. Just to confirm, I don't see the grey "connecting" screen so not a big deal.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WebRiva and vpscale=? kblagron 1 117 08-28-2018, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  A big issue with use the Elk M1 and CQC, cant use the IP dialer ghurty 1 176 08-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  Is it possible to direct link with webriva? ghurty 1 206 07-24-2018, 05:04 PM
  WebRiva on Android George M 20 1,064 07-22-2018, 09:07 AM
  WebRiva, Android, scaling issue IVB 2 277 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: IVB
  HTML5 and Webriva and the Interface Veiwer ghurty 1 228 07-11-2018, 10:50 PM
  How to tell WebRiva to rebuild itself ghurty 3 358 05-24-2018, 09:50 PM
  Does anyone have a nice interface set up using the new webRiva system? ghurty 0 192 05-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Last Post: ghurty
  Radio RA driver issue dogman 7 753 04-22-2018, 08:33 AM
  Onkyo receiver volume issue dlmorgan999 26 2,203 03-07-2018, 09:44 PM