Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dim over time
Is there a good way to dim a light or group of lights over time? Say I want to dim my bedside lamps from 100% to 0% over 30 min.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
If the hardware itself doesn't support that, there's nothing currently built into CQC to do it. Usually the dim period is a lot shorter than that, and wouldn't necessarily be something CQC could easily do since it would require sending out a lot of msgs over a short period of time, and some devices wouldn't take to that well. So mostly we leave that to the lighting system, and a lot of them do support it. A longer period like that wouldn't be an issue on that front though.

What is controlling the light?

This is sort of something that would fall into the category of a 'rules engine' type thing, which has been discussed various times, to deal with things that aren't really either triggered or scheduled events. These types of things, and maybe a PID type of algorithm, and some other things would fall into such a category.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I’m mostly hue now but it could be any lighting system. Is there access to the dim rate in the hue api?
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
I think it is, but I'd have to dig in a bit. I can look at it tomorrow.
Dean Roddey
We talked about this once before. Ramping up and down over time to a set percentage for things like a GoodNight or GoodMorning scene.

What we discussed was a way to pick a direction (ramp up or down), set a threshold (say 65%), and set a timer (30 minutes), and then behind the scenes CQC would do the math and either dim or brighten the lights. The issue was in having it 'stepped' vs 'smooth' because there are more lighting systems than Hue and at the time the talk was to make it universal instead of specific.

Hue does let you trigger off a rule directly, so we could build our timers and ramp rates right in the app and kick them off via CQC to get that smooth transition. If you need access to the API, let me know and I can open mine up. And if you dig into Hue, can you please look at Dimmer Switch support? Smile
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
The big problem right now is that there's no one out there who is in a good position to do that 'over time' type operation. The event server would be a good place, and I've been thinking that that's where such a 'rules engine' should live, though the naming of it would then start getting a bit squishy, since rules aren't events per se. Though some of them would be invoked based on some field reaching a specific state I guess, so that would justify them living there probably.

Making it really smooth could only really be done if the interval was fairly long. Otherwise it would have to be supported in the device itself. Many devices just would get overwhelmed by 100 msgs in a couple seconds. Though of course a ramped, PID type of algorithm wouldn't go in single unit steps, it would ramp quickly at first, and then slow down. But still, the rate required to do those types of things in a second or two seconds could be problematic if doing it from the outside.
Dean Roddey
In the Insteon ISY app, you can set the rate from 0.1 secs to 9 min.  Never used it, but it's there in the console.
C-Bus has always had a ramp feature. based on time. 4s,8s,12s,...up to minutes. Use the ramp all the time in scenes and goodbye actions
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
In some cases we'd need to provide a command in the InvokeCmd field to allow access to that if you want to do it on the fly, i.e. do a specific ramp time in any given field write. Some lighting system drivers already do have such things.

OTOH, if you just configure it on the light itself, then CQC doesn't need to know. When you turn the light off or on, the configured ramp time will be applied.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting a Card8 into a Time Format in CML kblagron 2 291 03-14-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  What would the proper trigger to be for a time or a X min before sundown? ghurty 1 410 01-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  GetCurMillis immune to system time change? rbroders 6 735 12-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  Down time today Dean Roddey 0 454 11-19-2018, 05:07 PM
  Nice job on the scaling! 1 template for the 1st time! IVB 0 721 07-15-2018, 04:38 PM
Last Post: IVB
  time format in 5.0 lleo 2 1,510 03-14-2017, 12:00 PM
Last Post: lleo
  'Field Time Text' Widget showing wrong day/time? Sendero 1 1,520 11-28-2015, 03:52 PM
  data logging time values znelbok 5 2,228 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM
  Mixing text with %(z) in the field time widget dlmorgan999 3 2,112 07-17-2015, 12:43 PM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  Time Stamp and SetNowPlus zra 2 1,529 06-11-2015, 06:25 PM
Last Post: zra