Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remote iv install
i am curious if you have ever considered adding a feature for systems to install off of the master?  these days most software just notifies you that it needs to update, downloads it's bits and installs.  i can see why we might not want to be nagged every time a new version is available but once i have installed the master it would be great if all my other systems could just pull their bits from it and update.  the iv already throws and error that it is out of sync with the master then i am running around to every tablet trying to surf the web with my clumsy fingers to find the thread with the latest version, etc.  seems fairly simple since the master already has the install downloaded.  at least for IV only systems.
The install can't be run as a "unattended install" (hands off, no human intervention) with the current installer, however, I've simplified the process with a batch file to make it as painless as possible.  See this thread...
The problem is that there are usually also background services. Those cannot be upgraded without administrative rights, which you have to be there to agree to.

Unlike the old installer the new self-extracting one should run fine off of a shared directory, so you should be able to drop the installer on the MS and share it and then run it from there on each machine instead of having to download it to each machine.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(03-26-2018, 08:43 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: The problem is that there are usually also background services. Those cannot be upgraded without administrative rights, which you have to be there to agree to.

Unlike the old installer the new self-extracting one should run fine off of a shared directory, so you should be able to drop the installer on the MS and share it and then run it from there on each machine instead of having to download it to each machine.

i didn't mean to do it without being there.  i would just like to have it pop up and say that they iv is a different version than the master (as it does now) and have me confirm the update.  right now i fart with downloading the same installer file for every one of my systems which involves opening a browser and traversing my way to the correct file on a tiny tablet.  this of course involves finding reading glasses...  ok maybe the problem is just tnat i am an old fart now Smile

i know i could make this easier if i took the time to put rdp on every system and set up a shared dropbox folder, etc but it seems like a small thing for cqc to simply pull the file from the master and start the install for me once i ok it.

greg
Nothing to do with installs are small really. It could be done, but it would be a good bit of grunt work, which would come at the cost of something else, so it's always a weighing of is it better to add some new capability that folks can use every day or work on the installer which folks use once in a while. Mostly the scales tend towards the former.

It's already on the list of course.

In the meantime, you don't need RDP or anything. Just put the installer on a shared directory on the MS. Put a link to that directory on each client's administrative account desktop to open it up, then double click the installer.
Dean Roddey
ok. and is it just me or do i find that when i install my custom icon's that open my template fullscreen get blown away and i have to recreate them?
You mean things you put on the desktop? CQC wouldn't ever mess with those since it wouldn't even know they are there. However, if anything changes wrt to command line options and such, those copies you made wouldn't be valid anymore. That doesn't happen very often though. And it's possible that, since the underlying start menu items they short cut got replaced that the OS will invalidate them.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC Install, Now error - Could not open the store file for object store 'CIDCfgSrvRep Sendero 6 2,730 08-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Install failing: CQCData is locked simon 7 2,554 05-14-2011, 03:49 PM
  install issues... SomeWhatLost 7 2,153 04-17-2011, 01:30 PM
  CQC Install Error "Confirm Stream Loss' fivestar 4 1,971 08-16-2007, 06:55 PM