Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know about VMWare thin clients, graphics pass thru?
it depends, but technically yes. i mean, technically a raspi works fine.

what is your timeframe to get this all working? for standard clients, i dont have the issues youve had with basic video on a raspi. i wonder if theres a config thing somewhere...
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
If video processing, YouTube, Photoshop capability is a hard requirement then why not have a dedicated box with the necessary horsepower to handle and then RDP to that? (or use a hardware monitor) I'm not understanding the problem that you are solving. You are willing to consider spending $1k for a VMWare license upgrade, why not just put that $$$ into a separate box to handle the heavy hitter stuff?

Separately, I'm running UnRaid which allows for GPU passthrough while it is not "easy" to set up it is capable. I have a single monster box that has 2 video cards that are each dedicated to a separate virtual instance. I'm running 3 windows instances, 2 with dedicated hardware (including USB) and 1 with dedicated USB that is RDP only.
4-6 weeks. I have 3 rPi's, 2 of which were supposed to be used for this but didn't work out. That's why I bought the Minix, but now might be using that as a CQC secondary server for zWave & another 1-2 items.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
(03-06-2018, 12:44 PM)batwater Wrote: If video processing, YouTube, Photoshop capability is a hard requirement then why not have a dedicated box with the necessary horsepower to handle and then RDP to that? (or use a hardware monitor) I'm not understanding the problem that you are solving. You are willing to consider spending $1k for a VMWare license upgrade, why not just put that $$$ into a separate box to handle the heavy hitter stuff?

Separately, I'm running UnRaid which allows for GPU passthrough while it is not "easy" to set up it is capable. I have a single monster box that has 2 video cards that are each dedicated to a separate virtual instance. I'm running 3 windows instances, 2 with dedicated hardware (including USB) and 1 with dedicated USB that is RDP only.
What's a hardware monitor?

I want to do exactly what you're saying, which is to RDP into a big box. Ideally from any machine, even a lesser quality machine. But what i'm learning here is that you need a client with GPU power, not the host. I don't have unRaid, no desire to set up something complex.
Sorry meant a physical monitor attached instead of an RDP session.

Okay, understand goal, and yes my UnRaid setup does have dedicated GPUs allocated to specific clients for 2 instances. UnRaid with pass through GPUs mapped to specific clients was a bear to set up initially but has run for 2+ years without issue. Hopefully the VMWare paid solution offers you the easy path.

What about running your host as a Win10 (Server 2016?) or something (as opposed to VMWare as the host) box with the dedicated GPU and hosting other VMs for the lighter stuff on top of that? You could still RDP to the "host" from anywhere...
Perhaps, will think about it.

BTW the VM paid is only $500 net as I can take it as a tax deduction under the LLC, as this is also training for work stuff. Harder to deduct other bits, although I could probably deduct the zero client. And if I get a 2nd host, I could create a cluster, enable DRS (Dynamic Resource Scheduling) and have VMWare move VMs to the metal that had the most bandwidth.

Cuz see, that's really needed in a home office environment...
If you stick with the VMWare world, then you need Horizon 7 Standard, which starts around $3K per year. On top of that you'd need to license vSphere itself, so theres another $4K, and then you need to figure out your provisioning method and license your desktops for that as well - if you use Windows 10 and access from a Thin Client that would include the cost of a Win10 Pro license ($100) and then a VDA access license ($100/year).

All of that assumes you go with the big boy solutions.

If you're content with your ESXi/Synology setup, then we really need to figure out what's going on with your environment. You shouldn't have any stuttering playing back generic video, and even higher-end things like Camtasia should work (just not as well as it might otherwise).

As far as having a client with video power - all that a client needs to be able to do is render the stream, all processing - video or otherwise - will take place on the host itself. I think the issue you're finding is by running Windows under VMWare, your 'video card' is really just whatever you get through VMTools.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using CQC from iOS clients Ira 15 4,048 01-20-2017, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Searching for GUI D-Pad graphics Roscoe62 2 1,267 10-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Last Post: jpants
  Is an HP 5720/5730 thin client practical as the CQC Master? beelzerob 16 3,457 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Wyse Thin Client gizmosrcool 10 4,242 08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  Thin client to drive IV potts.mike 29 4,305 07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Last Post: ctay
  Graphics software ellisr63 2 717 04-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Last Post: Squintz
  Security on wireless clients rdf 8 1,486 03-26-2007, 05:30 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Possible Cheap 10" Thin Client Touch Screen sic0048 2 1,260 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Last Post: sic0048