Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ISY, need Plan B
I created a thread on the UDI forums asking about when 5.x would go G/A, as it's been in *Alpha* for 3 years. 

After a month I *finally* got a response from UDI .  And the entirety of it was " If you are not happy with ISY, UDI, or how we run our business no one is forcing you to use either." If I have to go back to SmartThings replicating to VRCOP I may very well throw up in my mouth. I hate how Leviton has treated zWave controllers.

I was all set to move functionality from CQC to Elk & ISY in 2015, and only use CQC for optional or non-native control bits. I now find myself going the other way, and centralizing into CQC. Esp since low power Windows Embedded units are <$200 (I have one running W10 for an RDP viewer plus a Cryptocurrency proof-of-stake, works remarkably well).

This is a crappy situation. I can't use my multi-button controllers ($1200 worth!)  I really wanted ISY to win but that required a 2015 release of 5.x, then upgrading that awful java-based GUI which is now all but unreadable on modern laptops. Font size is tiny, even when you up it to 20 point. 

I did just rip 4 of my plaster/lathe walls to studs, put in acoustic insulation, vinyl barriers, and sheetrock. Sounds intense but zWave is having no issues going through that. Maybe the VRCOP might work.

If I hadn't spent $500 on an ISY plus Elk module plus portal, this wouldn't be so difficult. 
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I've not had any issues with the Leviton Vizia RF software as a master during this work on the new driver, using their stick as the master controller stick. It will occasionally fall over but it's not had any issues with adding units or anything like that. Since all you'd need it for is to manage the units and replicate to the CQC driver, it doesn't have to be perfect or anything. It runs fine under Windows 10 now, again other than the occasional fall over. But it recovers from those without losing anything.

I don't know how much it's changed since some folks were using back a while and weren't happy with it. Maybe it's just that I'm not pushing it hard enough to see it's failings.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I couldn't get the software to work on Win8 and for a bit on Win10. Then gave up. I suppose I can try taking the VRCOP out of mothballs and re-installing it. I'm not sure if I still have the VRUSB or if I shat on it then tossed it, will need to hunt that down. Or just use the SmartThings a la Batwater might be simpler, as long as replication is easy.

Thinking about this more, the response from UDI is the truly offensive bit. To not respond at all for a month, then have their first official response be "nobody is forcing you" is akin to saying "bow down peasant, and be happy with the crumbs we deem fit to fall off our plate into the next alpha drop".
I read through that thread over on the UDI forums and it was definitely ... something. I do have 5.x on my ISY and CQC couldn't read any of the devices since I think they changed the API. keep that in mind moving forward - I was (wrongly) under the assumption that a product would move from alpha through beta and onto release so we could get Dean to update the driver, but no.

I love the idea of the ISY, but mine is sitting in a box somewhere.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Oh. Well heck that basically seals it. Time to abandon ship. No sense supporting a company with that level of anti customer behavior.
I think I'm going to try one of ultra low power boxes to run CQC slave server, which would eliminate the value of an ISY.
(02-26-2018, 04:15 PM)IVB Wrote: I think I'm going to try one of ultra low power boxes to run CQC slave server, which would eliminate the value of an ISY.

You have a Synology 1517, right?  You should be able to run Virtual Machine Manager (allow beta in DSM) and put Win7/10 with CQC right on your Synology - no extra hardware required.  Assuming you have that box on all the time, it would make sense to run it there.  Not sure about serial ports and the like, but all network based connections should be fine, and I *think* you can pass through USB to the VM.  You have an ESXi server too, right?

I am virtualized using ESXi with my Synology as iSCSI storage and a Skull Canyon i7/32GB NUC as the host hardware.  So far so good - I have CQC, pfSense, Pi-Hole, a couple CentOS instances, a few Win10 boxes, and a couple of 2016 servers running without issue.  All in around 45W now that I don't transcode with Plex. Smile

edit: live grab of current usage -

[Image: nlksM0n.jpg]
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
(02-25-2018, 01:16 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: I've not had any issues with the Leviton Vizia RF software as a master during this work on the new driver, using their stick as the master controller stick. It will occasionally fall over but it's not had any issues with adding units or anything like that. Since all you'd need it for is to manage the units and replicate to the CQC driver, it doesn't have to be perfect or anything. It runs fine under Windows 10 now, again other than the occasional fall over. But it recovers from those without losing anything.

I don't know how much it's changed since some folks were using back a while and weren't happy with it. Maybe it's just that I'm not pushing it hard enough to see it's failings.

Since they fixed the  Leviton Vizia RF Installer Tool ( I would not say updated ::). to work on Win10 it seems to work good. They even updated the download webpage. Wish they would put that effort into the software. 
https://www.leviton.com/en/support/resou...aller-tool

I use the  Vizia RF + software and usb stick as as primary and Vcorp/Smartthings/ELK as secondary. Seems to work fine. Will be very happy when dean gets the new USB Zwave driver working and released so I can toss out my two VRC0P-1LW.
(02-26-2018, 05:19 PM)jkmonroe Wrote: You have a Synology 1517, right?  You should be able to run Virtual Machine Manager (allow beta in DSM) and put Win7/10 with CQC right on your Synology - no extra hardware required.  Assuming you have that box on all the time, it would make sense to run it there.  Not sure about serial ports and the like, but all network based connections should be fine, and I *think* you can pass through USB to the VM.  You have an ESXi server too, right?

I am virtualized using ESXi with my Synology as iSCSI storage and a Skull Canyon i7/32GB NUC as the host hardware.  So far so good - I have CQC, pfSense, Pi-Hole, a couple CentOS instances, a few Win10 boxes, and a couple of 2016 servers running without issue.  All in around 45W now that I don't transcode with Plex. Smile

I'm running ESXi on an i7/32GB mini-itx with i think 4 VMs, one of which is CQC. I'm talking about building a secondary server that I can use in a more physically centralized location, where I currently have the ISY, so get better zWave coverage. I could plug either the VRCOP or a USB stick into that, and have it only run that. Wouldn't need anything remotely close to an i7, i'd actually get *maybe* an i3 or even less powerful.
Sigh. Just located the VRUSB and VRCOP. Installed RFIT. Booted right up, immediately recognized the controllers that have been super expensive dumb switches for 2 years. 28 hours until my flight back down south so i'll look into blowing away and redoing the whole zWave network next weekend. Or perhaps 3/14, as i'm home for (gasp) almost 4 full nights!

#AndThenDepressionSetIn

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking comments on the viability of this plan AceCannon 4 984 01-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Last Post: RobWalker
  Need "sanity Check" on New Install - Wiring Plan Ed Nelson 15 2,466 01-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Last Post: lpott6
  Another newbie to CQC trying to plan my setup...any help is appreciated dman000000 2 1,015 09-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey