Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CQC Documentation
Dean,

you have to do something about this help situation. Having to open up CQC to get any sort of documentation is ridiculous. It needs to be available somewhere on-line.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
It is. It's on the web site. The Documentation link is at the bottom.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I guess I am missing the Echo integration docs. I'll look closer later.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
Most topics are split into three levels. There's the basic stuff, the more details stuff and the reference stuff. If it's something you are new to, try the Big Picture section. That will give you the high level overview and point you to the other stuff to dig deeper.
Dean Roddey
FWIW, I find the docs difficult to navigate. I know how to navigate them, it's just that everything I want seems to be somewhere other than where I expect it to be.

If you plan to update the docs (e.g. to enable search), you might consider using a wiki server. It's a more familiar interface, plus you could enable whomever you choose to be able to update the docs, and add valuable information.
My Other web server is Dropbox.
I'll second that. I have so much trouble actually finding what I want. Its not logical to me and my brain melts just thinking about trying to find something
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
It's not changing any time soon. A stupid amount of work went into getting it to that point. And the thing is, if I spent another month changing it around, then other people would complain that they can't find what they want. It's a complex system, there's no way everything can be up front or obvious.

If I can get a search done for the next release, that'll obviously help a lot. And getting more F1 for help stuff in place will as well, since then you can just get taken to the help for whatever you are in at the moment.
Dean Roddey
I think it really needs a search feature and/or a TOC. That would help immensely.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I agree with the other comments. I know you've put a lot of work into the help system Dean and it's definitely a contentious topic, but since PDF files are no longer available, it's often troublesome to find what you are looking for. I too think that having search would be very helpful.
If you set up an instance of https://www.dokuwiki.org/dokuwiki# (open source wiki software) on your site, the rest of us could simply copy and paste the existing docs there as we need them and it could all be fairly painless.
My Other web server is Dropbox.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XML Gateway Documentation whozeawhat 2 240 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Last Post: whozeawhat
  Typos in Documentation RichardU 1 353 01-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Device Driver documentation Bugman 3 1,270 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM
  CompNC documentation? dlmorgan999 2 1,059 12-17-2016, 10:22 AM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  documentation indygreg 14 3,196 12-10-2016, 12:34 PM
  Documentation zra 5 1,512 12-03-2016, 06:00 PM
  Searching the v5 documentation? dlmorgan999 1 770 11-01-2016, 08:20 PM
  user action documentation? IVB 3 1,200 08-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQCMediaInfo does not match documentation chmilar 12 2,143 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Last Post: chmilar
  Elk v2 documentation RichardU 11 2,020 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM