Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A challenge for the brain trust
OK, well I actually watched a whole movie tonight. Given that this one played fine, and my old handful play fine, and that one of these also had the same small edge crack, it's hard to avoid the conclusion that the others had that same crack. There must be some handling along the way that is causing that, to have so many have the same exact sort of issue. It also means I bought a new player for nothing.

I (re)watched Oblivion. Man is that a good looking movie. Both the image quality and the amazing design work.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
you can always return the player.

im starting to catch up on movies (im in 2015 now) and just watched the martian in 4K. good stuff.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
And one that I got in that original batch (and never knew if they were damaged like the others) I got again today and watched and it worked just fine. So that pretty much proves it.

I watched "How Do You Know?", BTW. A really good Romantic Comedy, where both the romance and the comedy are done equally and very well.

"The Martian" is in my queue. Regular HD only for me, but I bet it will look good, and such a great movie.
Dean Roddey
Glad to hear you figured out the disc gremlins...

I'm not 4K yet but I did upgrade my sound system early last year to Dolby ATMOS and now have a 9.2 setup. All I can say is WOW!!! I'm hearing things in movies that I've never heard before. One of our Great Pyrenees is constantly puzzled by the ceiling speakers; he's like WTF, where is that coming from alertness ears up tilted head looking at the ceiling.

To get to 4K I'll probably pick up an OPPO UDP-203 first and then when the current TV dies, (please oh please die) I'll go 4K there. The current blu-ray player is flaking out so that's easier to justify replacing first.

What I am starting to find is that the ATMOS or better sound tracks are only being released on the 4K discs which won't play on a standard blu-ray player :-(
The new player is 4K capable, so maybe that's a justification for keeping it. Not that I can take advantage of the ATMOS stuff, I just have two small bookshelf speakers, but at least I know I won't have any issues with playback on the newer discs.
Dean Roddey
im viewing on a 55" sony 900e right now, which is just f***ing gorgeous, and am in the middle of a debate whether to go 75" 900/940 or try and squeeze a 4K projector up there with a 135" screen. i don't think ill get the pop/punch of the full array dimming and HDR if i go projector and will end up disappointed compared to the 55", so i dunno. regardless, if you're in the market to go 4K for your TV i highly recommend the x900e.

and no atmos here yet, either. my equipment can handle it, but i can only fit 5.2.2 because of room size in the new house. not sure if it's worth it.
do the needful ...
Have you watched Valerian? It bet it would look jaw dropping on a 4K system.
Dean Roddey
i wasn't kidding when i said i was catching up to 2015 in my movie watching. Smile

i put it on my list. the interwebs say it's the most expensive independent film ever produced.
do the needful ...
Sadly it's no "Fifth Element" (made by the same guy) and Carla Delevinge is not Milla Jovovich and doesn't wear anything nearly so strappy, but visually it's amazing.
Dean Roddey
Simple fix- it’s called bit torrent!